Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 43)

Comments

• Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Great for Tango. The slow, gentle plodding dramas like Midwife, Tango, Paradise etc get the best ratings.

Note to ITV, it might be a good time to bring back a re-worked version of Heartbeat.

Champions League average for ITV, but completely different audience to Tango.
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    This has probably been asked before, but what causes the big difference between some of these figures and those in the DS article?

The DS summary gives Emmerdale over a million more (7.35m, + 157k) but Eastenders is the same at 7.7m.

Aren't some figures for just the programme ie 1901-1926 and others are just the slot ie 1900-1930?
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Expected more for Tango tbh, but still an excellent performance
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Champs League should have done better. The Chelsea manager was sacked this morning such was the seriousness of last night's defeat, as it now appears they are set to become the first reigning champions to not get past the group stage of the competition. Bit of a headache for ITV certainly but the figures do show Chelsea are not as high raters as the two Manchester based clubs, one of which has scraped through.

Excellent start for Last Tango.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Channels 3 and 5 have had their licences renewed for a further 10 years, the culture secretary has said.

But the government wants ITV to do more in Scotland to address the concerns of viewers in the Border region. And Channel 5 will have to provide more children's programmes.

"Under proposals put forward by ITV, viewers in the south of Scotland would not receive the same level of programming about Scotland as those in the northern and central parts of the country," the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) said in a statement.

"The culture secretary said she wanted to see a way forward that addressed the concerns of viewers in the Border region."

Northern & Shell has also committed to investing in children's programmes on Channel 5.

"The channel has said it will broadcast at least 600 hours of UK-originated children's programmes a year and this would comprise at least half of children's programmes on the channel," DCMS said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20422967
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Last Tango in Halifax: 6.16m (25.6%)
    UEFA Champions League: 3.78m (15.6%)

Good start for Tango. Assume it skews quite old given the content so should be OK against Celeb next week.

Low for the football.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Aren't some figures for just the programme ie 1901-1926 and others are just the slot ie 1900-1930?

I believe that may be the case, though I thought our (MediaTel's) overnights were meant to be for the programme
    dave01 wrote: »
    Good start for Tango. Assume it skews quite old given the content so should be OK against Celeb next week.

Low for the football.

Chelsea aren't popular, in viewing terms or just generally :p
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Something wrong with the DS figure for Emmerdale, ITV Media has it at 6.8m.

It was a big night for ITV2 last night.

Few other bits from ITV Media:

UEFA Champions League Live: Juventus v Chelsea (19:30-21:59) on ITV1 last night attracted an audience of 3.7m and 16%, the match peaked with an audience of 4.8m.

ITV2 had its best ever Tuesday all time share. I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here Now was the most watched digital programme with it's biggest audience of the series so far-1.3m and 7.2%, up year on year by over 400,000 viewers. Cheryl: Access All Areas was the 2nd most watched programme with 1.0m and 4.1%.
  • Options
    rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    the bbc has a lot more ratings hits on when xfactor is on itv such as dr who, merlin, antiques roadshow,

itv seems to lack any shows to screen when strictly is on that would pull in anything above 5 million etc although no other channels seem to bother either so is the reason stricty doing better this year simply down to lack of any challange on any other channel.

is the lack of shows against strictly down to the fact advertisers dont want there adverts on against the biggest bbc shows and therefore there is a lack of money to invest or is it simply because there isnt anything to put up against it at all??

its clear the bbc is in a stronger position being licence fee funded to take more risks against advert channels where advert channels have to save there best for after or before bbc biggest shows.

bbcs best night apart from sat seems to be tue night as once again lack of any real threat from any other channel, so is the bbc just ahead in ratings on thoes nights simply through lack of threat for ratings and not the quality of whats on offer as it seems advert channels worse night all year has been tuesday nights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rivkin wrote: »
    itv seems to lack any shows to screen when strictly is on that would pull in anything above 5 million etc although no other channels seem to bother either so is the reason stricty doing better this year simply down to lack of any challange on any other channel.
    Take Me Out was a hit show before it tried and failed to take on Strictly.

Still is in the younger demographics. And it's a myth that young people don't watch Strictly.

So how exactly has Strictly been unchallenged? :confused:
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Emmerdale got 7.51m (inc+1) tapechecked. 5 minute breakdown was:

19:00 - 7.26m
    19:05 - 7.55m
    19:10 - 7.12m
    19:15 - 7.68m
    19:20 - 7.92m

The 19:25-19:30 period only averaged 3.29m, dragging the full slot average down significantly.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale must have finished early last night or something as the ratings in that slot fell off a cliff at 19:25pm

1900 7122
    1905 7395
    1910 6975
    1915 7527
    1920 7740
    1925 3216

For 19:00-1924 it had 7.35m.

edit: Posted too slowly clearly - my numbers don't contain +1 hence the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Digital Spy figure is the tape checked rating with +1 written seperately. The ITV Media figure is the full slot rating with +1 included. The Mike Teevee figure is the full slot rating with HD and SD ratings written seperately.

Attentional soap timings last night:
    19:00-19:25 Emmerdale
    19:30-19:59 Eastenders
    20:02-21:01 Holby City
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Million more for Tango than I expected.

They got lucky launching opposite itv's expensively unpopular Champions League coverage rather than Celeb which would have crushed it.

It will fall off a cliff next week with Celeb - and the fact it was unutterably dull!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »

Pleased to see Pointless cracking 3m yesterday (and big thanks to rzt for posting such a comprehensive round-up). It'll be interesting to see how Pointless and The Chase fare against each other next year when Pointless will have a lead-in from general audience programmes instead of unwatched kids' shows. Not that The Chase was getting a huge lead-in from Midsomer Murders.

know bbc fans will love fact its cbbc is going off bbc1 and 2 and bbc 1 daytime shre will be up but....
    with a tv licence the bbc doesnt need bigger shares of audience as it isnt carrying adverts like all other channels and it should be offering a differnt choice to what advert channels provide

axing cbbc off bbc1 which will damage childrens tv more by lowing audiences more isnt good , the bbc does childrens tv best and should be more intreseted in doing more of what it does best with the licence and not trying to constantly compeate with advert carrying channels.

"channel5 secures licence with promise to air record level of kids content " why should an advert carrying channel have to promice to do this and that when the bbc can axe cbbc off main channels, the bbc already leads daytime share but constantly tries to become like a channel with adverts hitting not only childrens tv audinces but also advert channels which will loose more share in daytime to the licnce driven corporation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Take Me Out was a hit show before it tried and failed to take on Strictly.

Still is in the younger demographics. And it's a myth that young people don't watch Strictly.

So how exactly has Strictly been unchallenged? :confused:

there seems plenty of bbc ratings hits on offer when xfactor on sat and sun however where are the challenges to strictly if take me out isnt working against it what else is on offer on say channel 4 and 5 and sky at same time? (nothing) and so it leads to strictly doing great ratings better than past years.
    same on tue nights bbc1s best weekday night due to fact mmmmm no challange from another channel at all the only time a challage faced it was when bake off was on and that was on a bbc channel. last tango drama got 6 million last night but was such a poor dire drama any channel could put out but due to lack of other things on offer it looks like a big hit on tue again for bbc1

doubt bbc shows would be as big if advertisers backed channels to invest in shows to go up against biggest bbc shows and offer other shows at same time.
    bbc clear advantage to all other channels including sky being licence fee funded.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    know bbc fans will love fact its cbbc is going off bbc1 and 2 and bbc 1 daytime shre will be up but....
    with a tv licence the bbc doesnt need bigger shares of audience as it isnt carrying adverts like all other channels and it should be offering a differnt choice to what advert channels provide

axing cbbc off bbc1 which will damage childrens tv more by lowing audiences more isnt good , the bbc does childrens tv best and should be more intreseted in doing more of what it does best with the licence and not trying to constantly compeate with advert carrying channels.

"channel5 secures licence with promise to air record level of kids content " why should an advert carrying channel have to promice to do this and that when the bbc can axe cbbc off main channels, the bbc already leads daytime share but constantly tries to become like a channel with adverts hitting not only childrens tv audinces but also advert channels which will loose more share in daytime to the licnce driven corporation.

How can anyone question the BBC's commitment to children's
    programmes when they have two dedicated TV channels, available to all, showing nothing else?
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Excellent fo Last Tango, over 6 million on a Tuesday night is amazing for a new drama (and a scheduling materstroke putting it against the football) and its getting some very favourable feedback (although i'm not surprised it was excellent) so hopefully can hold its own against IAC next week-I'll certaintly be watching :D
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Last Tango in Halifax: 6.16m (25.6%)
    UEFA Champions League: 3.78m (15.6%)
    Last Tango launched better than The Paradise which had 5.5m but that did face Midsomer Murders which appealed to a similar audience.
    garyessex wrote: »
    Expected more for Tango tbh, but still an excellent performance
    On a Tuesday against football? Highly unlikely. Last Tango launched very well as 6m is the level I think BBC/ITV 9pm dramas should be achieving.
    Great for Tango. The slow, gentle plodding dramas like Midwife, Tango, Paradise etc get the best ratings.

Note to ITV, it might be a good time to bring back a re-worked version of Heartbeat.

Champions League average for ITV, but completely different audience to Tango.

I'd say good rather than plodding not all slow dramas do well. This is a myth I'd say. Also Chelsea don't rate well with their group stage matches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. BT will have their sports channels on Sky. Smart move by them.

http://www.tvlivenews.co.uk/bt-secures-sky-slots/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overnights 20th November

BBC1
    13:45 Doctors - 1.45m (18.9%)
    18:00 BBC News at Six - 5.05m (26%)
    18:30 Regional News and Weather - 5.69m (27%)
    19:00 The One Show - 4.82m (22%)
    19:30 Eastenders - 7.71m (33.5%)
    * +3 544k
    20:00 Holby City - 4.91m (20.0%)
    21:00 - Last Tango in Halifax - 6.16m (25.6%)
    * slot average 4.61m
    * 1st 15 mins 6.18m
    * last 15 mins 6.24m
    22:00 BBC News at Ten - 4.68m (24%)

BBC2
    21:00 Dara O’Briain’s Science Club - 1.16m (4.8%)
    * plus an additional 99k on BBC HD

ITV 1
    17:00 The Chase - 3.47m [inc+1]
    18:00 ITV Regional News - 3.75m (19%) [inc+1]
    19:00 Emmerdale - 7.35m (33.7%)
    * +1 157k
    19:30 Champions League - 3.75m (15.6%)
    * +1 63k
    * peak 4.64m @ 9pm

Channel 4
    18:00 The Simpsons - 1.83m [inc+1]
    18:30 Hollyoaks - 1.16m (5.6%)
    20:00 George Clarke's Amazing Species - 2.16m [inc+1]
    21:00 Heston’s Fantastical Food 1.44m (6%)
    * +1 200k
    22:00 Fresh Meat - 977k (5%)

Channel 5
    13:45 Neighbours - 672k (8.8%)
    17:30 Neighbours - 974k (5.7%)
    18:00 Home & Away - 790k (4.0%)
    21:00 Body of Proof - 990k (4.1%)
    * +1 93k

ITV2 [inc+1]
    21:00 Cheryl: Access All Areas - 988k ( 4.1%)
    22:00 I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here Now! - 1.32m (7.2%)
    22:45 Celebrity Juice: Pop Special - 816k (7.2%)

ITV3 [inc+1]
    20:00 Rosemary and Thyme - 643k (2.6%)
    21:00 Doc Martin - 957K (4%)

BBC3
    21:00 Transsexual Teen, Beauty Queen - 625k (2.6%)
    22:30 Eastenders - 544k
    23:25 Family Guy - 637 (7.9%)

BBC4

21:00 America on a Plate: The Story of the Diner - 260k

E4
    18:00 The Big Bang Theory - 622k (3.2%) [inc+1]
    18:30 The Big Bang Theory - 708k (3.4%) [inc+1]
    19:00 Hollyoaks - 754k (3.5%)
    * +1 120k

Film4 [inc+1]
    18:55 Dear John - 0.18m
    21:00 Max Payne - 0.46m

5*
    18:30 Home & Away - 496k (2.4%)

Source: Digital spy, Broadcast, ITV Media, Media tel, C4 Sales

A strong launch for Last Tango in Halifax. BBC1 seem to get a lot of middle of the ratings 4.5m-5.5m launches in that Tuesday 9pm slot, so this is a very good launch rating. A stern test for it next week though with Celeb likely to put a dent into the figures on top of the normal 2nd week drama drop-off.

The football on ITV 1 seems a bit low but maybe that's just because it's still group stages. Would've have expected a peak in the 5millions at least though. The ITV multichannels posted some very strong ratings yesterday, particularly ITV2 which had it's best ever Tuesday all day share.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member

They got lucky launching opposite itv's expensively unpopular Champions League coverage rather than Celeb which would have crushed it.

It will fall off a cliff next week with Celeb - and the fact it was unutterably dull!

your opinion!! i thought it was great and against the rubbish that is i wish i was a celeb so please give me more money!!! there is no contest!!!!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    How can anyone question the BBC's commitment to children's
    programmes when they have two dedicated TV channels, available to all, showing nothing else?

I think it's good that we have both of those channels (as well as CITV)

but as someone who grew up watching

Going Live
    Saturday Superstore
    broom cupboard (Phil/Andy C/Andi P)
    Blue Peter only being on twice a week

it's a shame that children's programming is being ghetto-ised into digital channels. Out of sight will lead to out of mind in my opinion

I think it's really bad that both ITV and BBC dumped their Saturday morning kids shows
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

I wouldn't be so sure, it probably has a much older audience, and surely you disliking it is the strongest sign of it being a hit. ;)

According to Broadcast it didn't drop over the hour like Crickley Hall did which is a good sign, I think it should be able to stay above 5m even against I'm a Celeb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's good that we have both of those channels (as well as CITV)

but as someone who grew up watching

Going Live
    Saturday Superstore
    broom cupboard (Phil/Andy C/Andi P)
    Blue Peter only being on twice a week

it's a shame that children's programming is being ghetto-ised into digital channels. Out of sight will lead to out of mind in my opinion

I think it's really bad that both ITV and BBC dumped their Saturday morning kids shows

I agree.

Even though there will be dedicated channels and technically most of the country can access them, it's not quite the same reach as having them on the main channel. Seeing Saturday mornings without a live children's show really is sad. I watched the very first Multi-Coloured Swap Shop in 1976 and still found Saturday shows enjoyable in my late teens.

Sad times. :(
This discussion has been closed.