Options

Les Mis is West End's longest runner

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
Forum Member
✭✭
Congratulations - and a well-deserved record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5414068.stm

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    It's a fabulous show - I've seen it several times. I love the 10th anniversary concert too - I almost know it off by heart! My favourite Les Mis performer is the fabulous Michael Ball, although sadly I saw the show too late to catch him in it.

Long may it continue ... :D
  • Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great show - Ive seen it three times. My fav song is 'Bring him home'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 10th Anniversary Concert was fantastic.
    Last night Radio 2 had a special 21 anniversary performance. you can listen to it again at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/index.shtml?logo
    Go to Listen Again - click the purple box
    then under RADIO 2 SHOWS BY TYPE you should see Soundtracks. Click on that then click on Boublil and Schonberg's Les Miserables ..........then....enjoy..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you for the link - saw it earlier this year in London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o I've seen it 8 times, including the original with Colm Wilkinson, Frances Ruffelle and Michael Ball.

I've cried every time. :p

Absolutely fantastic show and totally deserves to be No 1 in any list of musicals, I'd see it another 8 times if I could.

As for the words, I know every one. I'm so sad I have about 4 sets of the soundtrack plus a video and DVD of the 10th anniversary Concert. I've also got "The Making Of Les Miz" on Vid.

I know that there was a fair bit left out at the 10th Anniversary Concert, so my favourite has to be the all star International recording. Philip Quast was the definitive Javaire and I still get goosebumps when he sings "Stars", while Gary Morris took a bit of getting used to as Jean Valjean, but every note is on this recording.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    redcherry wrote:
    My fav song is 'Bring him home'.

Mine are:

Stars
    On My Own
    Master of the House
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I love it!! went to see it feb 2005
    fav song: on day more
    anybody else favour eponine over cosette??
    i'm only 16 :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its one of the best shows ever!
    i have mixed feelings about eponnine and cossette at the start it was cossette but by the end im in two minds!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations - and a well-deserved record.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5414068.stm

Bah! These fly by night productions. When they have been running continously for over 52 years like The Mousetrap then they can talk about longevity. :p:D
  • Options
    Emma PooEmma Poo Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    i absolutely love this show, seen it twice in london and my school did a production of it a few years ago. Cry at it every time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how to get this recording to download on a ipod. cheers in advance :D
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    I love it :) I've seen it 97 times (but haven't been for years due to the fact that I don't live in London anymore). Favourite actor is Michael McCarthy who is an amazing Javert!

Best moment for me was taking part in a 3 day Les Miz masterclass in London, culminating in a 12 minute performance of three songs (At the End of the Day, Do You Hear The People Sing, and One Day More) on stage at the Palace, with the revolve and full lighting. I got to play Madame T :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WillowFae wrote:
    I love it :) I've seen it 97 times (but haven't been for years due to the fact that I don't live in London anymore). Favourite actor is Michael McCarthy who is an amazing Javert!

Best moment for me was taking part in a 3 day Les Miz masterclass in London, culminating in a 12 minute performance of three songs (At the End of the Day, Do You Hear The People Sing, and One Day More) on stage at the Palace, with the revolve and full lighting. I got to play Madame T :)

Oooo, there was a chap on an updated documentary show (shown last week) about Stage School (The Poor School) who got a stab at their dreams, even if they were a bit older.

He did that and absolutely loved it.

:eek: Ninety Seven times? Willow Fae? Blimey! :p Now I'm jealous. Can I count the times I've watched the 10th Anniversary Concert? It would be up in the hundreds. :o

But, like you we dont get up to London very often. We used to go about 4 times a year and take in 3 shows each time.

:cry: I miss that.

And Eponine for the heroine every time. Cosette's too damn nice.

I'm sure I saw Michael MacCarthy as Enjolras. Anyone know if he played that role in London? Or does he take that part in the 10th Anniversary Show?

I'm away from home and cant look through all my programmes. :cool: :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, Michael has never played Enjolras. He joined the cast in 1990 as Factory Foreman / Javert Understudy. Then he moved onto Javert proper and has since been asked back to the West End 2 or 3 times, and has performed the role in Manchester, Chelmsford Open Air Concert (that was AMAZING - 25,000 people!) Australia, Shanghi, LA, and he closed the show on Broadway. In the 10AC he played the Factory Foreman. You may be thinking of Michael Maguire who has played Enjolras. He played the role in the 10AC but I don't think he has ever played in the West End.

And yes, I saw that 40 mins programme. I thought it was funny that he was giving this as an example of his success (at least that is how it appeared) whereas anyone can attend the masterclass: you just pay the fee! When I did it (back in 97) it was the first time they had done it and it seems to have improved since then. We didn't do it with an invited audience of friends and family, and we didn't have photos. What we did have was a row of cassette players in the front row as everyone was recording it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    i saw it on saturday for the first time on saturday and Jon from s club 7 was in it. He was actually very good,I was surprised
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen it live myself but I've got the the 10AC on CD and DVD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I love this show, definitely one of my favourites!!! I haven't seen it for a couple of years now, but would be more than happy to sit through it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks WF. Yes, I'm mixing up Michael MacGuire, that name definitely rings loads of bells.

I thought it sad that nobody on that stage school programme ever came close to achieving their dreams. But it is such a hard profession (I'd be crushed at all the rejection) that ultimately, it probably saved them a lot of heartache.

Completely off topic, I'm trying to get tickets for Dirty Dancing/ Think I'll be whistling for them for a while. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah. It is like that with Wicked. We booked up back in March when tickets first went on sale, 6 months before it opened.

Going to see Sound of Music a week today.
  • Options
    puckbunnypuckbunny Posts: 28,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen it live but I have the tenth AC on DVD and CD , my favourite song is, Bring Him Home, sung by Colm Wilkinson makes me cry every time.