Options

How is everyone feeling about Eastenders at the moment?

Comments

• Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its gone stale again... The idea of Massod having an affair so soon after Nadias Dr Death saga is stupid. But this is EE The 'sexed up' soap...

Im not watching properly, only really waiting for Janines return. And THAT had better be handled well... I dont want her emboiled in affairs.

The best piece of writing Ive seen for ages was that red button scene of Abi going to find Dot. It was touching/humoured and had character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding it dull, uneventful and boring at the moment. I do not expect every episode to be headline grabbing, gripping television but we are subjected to tedious recurring stories of infidelity, mistrust and arguments.

Santer may have been accused of sensationalism but at least we had some great stories with Stacey's bipolar, Danielle revealing she was Ronnie's daughter and Who Killed Archie.

Even 2004 seems superior in comparison to the weekly dross Newman and the team are serving up.
  • Options
    SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding it dull, uneventful and boring at the moment. I do not expect every episode to be headline grabbing, gripping television but we are subjected to tedious recurring stories of infidelity, mistrust and arguments.

Santer may have been accused of sensationalism but at least we had some great stories with Stacey's bipolar, Danielle revealing she was Ronnie's daughter and Who Killed Archie.

Even 2004 seems superior in comparison to the weekly dross Newman and the team are serving up.

Santer and his team knew how to tell a story and was worth tuning in for. Tony/Whitney, Ian/Steven stalker, Syed discovering his sexuality, Jase demise, Lucas the serial killer.

Lorraine has given us nothing yet and is just dragging out storylines which should of been over by now.
  • Options
    showbizpalshowbizpal Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    U got to be kidding about the Derek thing right? I mean the guy was constantly slagged off on here because people thought he was a crap actor etc. Now he's gone people are what suddenly missing him :?

Well, I wasn't slagging him off on here and I don't think a dozen or so opinions on here are representative of the viewing public as a whole? I didn't say he was a great actor but he was no better or worse than plenty of the cast. He brought a new dimension and as I said an authentic feel.

The show needs interesting three dimensional characters that enhance and re energise the storylines of the current cast.

Have Kirsty or Ayesha done this? I think they have just highlighted how weak the current storylines are. A good character feels like part of the family and they don't. Nothing really wrong with the acting ability of either but their presence jars and that is a problem.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely stale and boring. The show has been no good since 2011 but this is definitely the worst EastEnders has been. It's all about the Brannings right now and they're an utter mess of a family.

That and all the other relationship storylines are tedious and lacking in substance. There's literally nothing happening right now outside these shit storylines and if this is what Lorraine Newman has in plan for the show, then the show will continue getting worse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandsss wrote: »
    Santer and his team knew how to tell a story and was worth tuning in for. Tony/Whitney, Ian/Steven stalker, Syed discovering his sexuality, Jase demise, Lucas the serial killer.

Lorraine has given us nothing yet and is just dragging out storylines which should of been over by now.

Exactly. Badly paced and poorly written a good amount of Santer's storylines may have been, at least he actually had storylines to keep us entertained. End of discussion.

He was no saint but still infinitely, infinitely better than any of his succeeders as of yet.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Santer, Kirkwood and Newman shared the workload we'd probably have an exceptionally entertaining show. Elements of all 3 worked to a degree. Santer's big storylines and sensationlism, Kirkwood's character development and Newman's character interaction. Hopefully the next EP will look at what they've done right and wrong and take it from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you think about the Patrick storyline and the Lucy storyline? You think you can do a better job do you?

Yeah but its just a storyline its not the end of the world if the storylines are bad all of you call yourself fans of Eastenders and yet your saying the show is in a bad place and your going to stop watching only true fans keep watching Eastenders and don't complain about the show and won't give Lorraine Newman a hard time none of you can do a better job if any of you were EP of Eastenders I doubt very much any of you will do a better job than Lorraine none of you have experience and Lorraine does have experience.

As long-term fans of the show, we're perfectly entitled to express our views on the show - positive, negative or indifferent and nobody is claiming to do a better job than Lorraine Newman but as viewers we deserve something entertaining. A real fan will say things exactly how they are instead of beating around the bush so you don't need to keep telling people otherwise. You can stop that, okay?

Just accept that not everyone will agree with you and stop forcing your views on everyone. :sleep:
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's completely stale and boring at the moment!:(

It was very poor this week and I'm really disappointed on how Zainab's exit is being handeld. I'm also tired of Whitney and Tyler. There haven't been any interesting storylines so far. There are only a few small scenes that I have enjoyed such as Denise and Ian and Dot returning as well as the red button scenes with Abi. Apart from that, I'm getting bored. I really hope we will see an improvement in storylines soon.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    A pathetic programme, pathetically written by pathetic writers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And nobody really has the right to slag off the producers

Nobody is saying they hate LN but people do have the right to say their views on a EP's work (depending on how much they've seen). Apart from a few small but nice moments, I don't think LN's work has been that good so far. I'm still gonna give it a few months to see if there is any improvement.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    Nobody is saying they hate LN but people do have the right to say their views on a EP's work (depending on how much they've seen). Apart from a few small but nice moments, I don't think LN's work has been that good so far. I'm still gonna give it a few months to see if there is any improvement.

So people saying writing crap, producers don't know what there doing etc are not being rude right? I like to see how thoses Sayers would fair if they had to keep coming up with story's for a soap that's running constantly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    A pathetic programme, pathetically written by pathetic writers.

And this proves my point perfectly thanks for that :)
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    And this proves my point perfectly thanks for that :)

I rather think it proves that you are very small minded and have no respect for people's opinions on a public forum about soaps.
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    It's completely stale and boring at the moment!:(

It was very poor this week and I'm really disappointed on how Zainab's exit is being handeld. I'm also tired of Whitney and Tyler. There haven't been any interesting storylines so far. There are only a few small scenes that I have enjoyed such as Denise and Ian and Dot returning as well as the red button scenes with Abi. Apart from that, I'm getting bored. I really hope we will see an improvement in storylines soon.

Didn't Janine get a better exit than Zainab and she only left temporary?
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    So people saying writing crap, producers don't know what there doing etc are not being rude right? I like to see how thoses Sayers would fair if they had to keep coming up with story's for a soap that's running constantly

The producers and writers are professionals and as such really shouldn't be struggling to make a decent and enjoyable soap. I think it's highly relevant and right to point out professional people's shortcomings. After all they are paid very well out of public money to provide us with some entertainment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    I rather think it proves that you are very small minded and have no respect for people's opinions on a public forum about soaps.

No I have respect for people's opinion. What I don't respect is when people think its alright to slat the production team and come out with crap like you did in your post
  • Options
    Andrew_DuncanAndrew_Duncan Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U got to be kidding about the Derek thing right? I mean the guy was constantly slagged off on here because people thought he was a crap actor etc. Now he's gone people are what suddenly missing him :?
    No I have respect for people's opinion. What I don't respect is when people think its alright to slat the production team and come out with crap like you did in your post

Well, I for one didn't slag off Derek. He was one of the few interesting characters even if his acting was a tad panto.

No you do not have respect for other peoples opinion and you have shown that throughout this thread. We -the tax payers- have a right to express our opinions as we wish considering a) we pay their salary b) we are viewers and they are putting this in the public domain and once you put something in the public domain willingly you have to expect feedback whether it is positive or negative. Who knows LN and the writers might take note and improve whereas if nothing was said then nothing would be improved because they wouldn't know the audience is dissatisfied. It's called Market Research.

And another thing, this is a forum where opinions are discussed and if you can't handle others having an opposing opinion then maybe the Digital Spy forums aren't the place for you. Maybe you'd be more suited to the Appreciation threads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The producers and writers are professionals and as such really shouldn't be struggling to make a decent and enjoyable soap. I think it's highly relevant and right to point out professional people's shortcomings. After all they are paid very well out of public money to provide us with some entertainment.

This.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What exactly is the problem with people slating the production team? They are responsible and effectively their wages are subsidised by us, the viewers! We don't know them but they're on a good whack. It's not good at the moment!

It might be hard coming up with the goods on such a continuous programme but a well paid contract must surely state that that's what they should be doing. They're not and have to answer to their critics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    showbizpal wrote: »
    What exactly is the problem with people slating the production team? They are responsible and effectively their wages are subsidised by us, the viewers! We don't know them but they're on a good whack. It's not good at the moment!

It might be hard coming up with the goods on such a continuous programme but a well paid contract must surely state that that's what they should be doing. They're not and have to answer to their critics.

Am not saying they haven't done some bad stories. But there's away to go about criticising something without being rude about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am not saying they haven't done some bad stories. But there's away to go about criticising something without being rude about it.

You are absolutely right. It would be like me deconstructing your grammar. It would be unfair, unecessary and more importantly irrelevant to the points you make.
    However, the producers are in the public domain and the criticism is justified as it is about a body of work open to scrutiny by the public. I don't think the attacks are of a personal nature, like the garbage you could read on twiiter abuse for example. These are opinions that need qualifying with regard to the people who are responsible, for a poor run in entertaining fans of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are absolutely right. It would be like me deconstructing your grammar. It would be unfair, unecessary and more importantly irrelevant to the points you make.
    However, the producers are in the public domain and the criticism is justified as it is about a body of work open to scrutiny by the public. I don't think the attacks are of a personal nature, like the garbage you could read on twiiter abuse for example. These are opinions that need qualifying with regard to the people who are responsible, for a poor run in entertaining fans of the show.

What's my grammar got to do with it? There's loads of grammar problems on here but I don't bring points like that up as there's no need. Plus you may class it as a poor run, but there are some that are enjoying it. I also never said it was of a personal nature, I just said there's ways of going about criticising something, without making crap comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's my grammar to do with it? There's loads of grammar problems on here but I don't bring points like that up as there's no need. Plus you may class it as a poor run, but there are some that are enjoying it

Exactly! There's no need.

There is a need for those who aren't enjoying it to question the current direction of the show, driven by the producers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly! There's no need.

There is a need for those who aren't enjoying it to question the current direction of the show, driven by the producers.

Yah but you kind of mention it in your last post. Plus am not saying people who aren't enjoying it shouldn't question it, but people also need to understand that some are enjoying the show.