Joe Swash - Bankrupt again!

i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
Forum Member
It's being reported highly paid TV presenter Joe Swash has gone bankrupt again owing £50,000 in tax, what is it about these celebs who think tax is for others to pay?
The ex-EastEnders hunk, 31, has gone bust over an unsettled £50,000 tax bill.

His spokesman said: “He assumed his trustee in bankruptcy was dealing with it. The money is there to be paid. It will be resolved this week.”

Yeah. We've heard it all before. :rolleyes:

In 2009 Swash owed the British public £120,000 in tax before finally being declared a bankrupt, still owing £20,000.
Last night his agent Becca Barr insisted it was all a mix-up and Swash would be battling to get the ruling annulled. She said: “Joe has not been around to sort this out.

“The bankruptcy should never have gone through. He’s not in financial difficulty — he’s fine. There was a tax issue which will be resolved imminently. Everyone has to pay tax and Joe knows he is no exception.”

Maybe the BBC could do a celeb version of 'Saints & Sinners', with Kerry Katonna, Martine McCutcheon and Joe Swash as the sinners.

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,801
    Forum Member
    These cases take time to get to court, but assuming he owed £50,000 for just one year that's a year's income of more than £200,000.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Hunk?
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do people forget to pay tax?
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like he had a crap accountant or its an admin error. It must happen sometimes, if a bank can move a decimal point in your account then I'm sure the tax man can file something in the wrong place.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he not have an agent who could sort his taxes for him? He always comes across as a complete prat. Some stars just don't understand the concept of money.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Addington. Ray Winstone, Kerry Katona, Grant Bovey now Swash.

Who'll be next on the list of zeleb bankrupts? Funny how they always manage to live the celeb lifestyle even though they supposedly haven't a pot to pi$$ in too.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Does he not have an agent who could sort his taxes for him? He always comes across as a complete prat. Some stars just don't understand the concept of money.

Actually my reading of the article and I could be wrong on this but it was relying on his agent is what's lead to it going wrong and further bankruptcy.
    Forum Member
    Actually my reading of the article and I could be wrong on this but it was relying on his agent is what's lead to it going wrong and further bankruptcy.

When he hadn't paid tax in 2009 Becca Barr spoke on his behalf, he still seems to be with the same management.

When Martine McCutcheon went bankrupt it turned out it wasn't just the tax person who was owed money.
    Forum Member
    Just to make it clear....
    A bankruptcy order was made on 5 March at the Central London County Court after HM Revenue & Customers (HMRC) filed a petition in January, according to trade publication Insolvency News.

There would have been correspondence way before January, and it has taken 3 months and bankruptcy before the money is offered?

When cocaine soddened mother of the year Kerry Katonna when bankrupt she was represented in court. I assume non tax payer Swash had legal representation on 5 March, if the money was in the bank why didn't his management ensure what was owed there and then?

The public might swallow a kangaroo's testicle, but expecting them to swallow bullsheet is beyond the pale.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    It's the problem when self employed people like actors and celebs get paid, splash the cash and then when they have to pay their tax bill at the end of the year its all gone.

Easy solution, companies should withhold the tax upfront out of what they pay them. So like us workers with PAYE who never see that part of our pay in the first place.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Celebrity bankruptcy does NOT count! Celebrities give their all in a bid to entertain us the plebs! I think its unfair that they should be taxed at all!

Now real bankruptcy - for plebs - that is something that should be shame-ridden and the offenders sent to jail!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Hunk?

Yes, you rang? :D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrity bankruptcy does NOT count! Celebrities give their all in a bid to entertain us the plebs! I think its unfair that they should be taxed at all!

Now real bankruptcy - for plebs - that is something that should be shame-ridden and the offenders sent to jail!

:D:D:D
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    I love how you get me Blondie! I've been told on another thread here that my attitude 'stinks' - I felt quite honoured really!:D
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

that's cause he is a complete prat.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A celebrity who has average or a lot of work and goes bankrupt doesn't mean they are poor. I'm sure he's got money to live on. Just the tax man wants his money.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A celebrity who has average or a lot of work and goes bankrupt doesn't mean they are poor. I'm sure he's got money to live on. Just the tax man wants his money.

You would think with celebs going bankrupt a better system could not be devised so they could go on sort of PAYE i have no choice but to pay my tax at source.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you rang? :D

Ha! :D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems an easy get out. Don't employ an accountant and ignore paying any tax and when the authorities catch up and demand payment, file for bankruptcy.
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob1985 wrote: »
    Hunk?

My thoughts exactly, ugh...
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If true, it is just annoying because Joe Swash for his lack of actual talent in terms of acting gets a fantastic gig when he is on the im a celebrity spin off show and that is a fantastic role to have considering the location and the pay I am sure is great too.

I hope he understands the position he is in.

Come to think of it, he is on a number of shows, a tv personality more than anything.
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    It's the problem when self employed people like actors and celebs get paid, splash the cash and then when they have to pay their tax bill at the end of the year its all gone.

Easy solution, companies should withhold the tax upfront out of what they pay them. So like us workers with PAYE who never see that part of our pay in the first place.

Agreed
    Forum Member
    Confirmation it was Becca Barr who spoke to the media...
    His spokesperson, Becca Barr, said the following..."This is a genuine mistake and the money is there and being paid as we speak. Everything is being sorted.”

Confirmation the bankruptcy hearing wasn't held in secret....
    Swash declared his home address as Whips Cross Road, Leytonstone in his bankruptcy papers filed at the London Court.

Surely if they had the money it could have been handed over before or on the day of the hearing.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's more panel shows and reality shows for him to appear on then! ;)
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swash declared his home address as Whips Cross Road, Leytonstone

He's done well for himself then :eek:;)