DAB Aerial Splitter

remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
Forum Member
I am correct in thinking I can use a standard coax splitter for a DAB aerial so I can use 2+ radios off the same aerial.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002VPIT0A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the DAB frequency fits within the frequency range quoted for the splitter.
  • remlapremlap Posts: 6,256
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    As long as the DAB frequency fits within the frequency range quoted for the splitter.

It does, well printed on it is 5-2400 MHz in the photograph.

Thanks
  • KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remlap wrote: »
    I am correct in thinking I can use a standard coax splitter for a DAB aerial so I can use 2+ radios off the same aerial.
    Cheers

It all depends how strong your DAB signals are. You don't get something for nothing, so splitting your signal between two radios will give you 3dB less signal = half the normal signal strength going to each radio and that's assuming no losses in the splitter.

It will be OK on local multiplexes, but if you are getting any multiplexes that are weak i.e.: just over the minimum required signal level for good reception, then the 3dB loss in signal would mean that you will lose satisfactory reception of these multiplexes.

A better route to go down (although more expensive) is a distribution amplifier, these compensate for the signal loss due to splitting the signal. In fact they can boost the signal to each radio, but it's important that any distribution amp has a low noise figure or it will degrade the signal. Labgear (other makes are available) (:o the Screwfix site has just gone down for maintenance :D but here is another link to Labgear direct) have been around for years and have a good reputation - check the first link when it's back up for prices.
    Forum Member
    It all depends how strong your DAB signals are. You don't get something for nothing, so splitting your signal between two radios will give you 3dB less signal = half the normal signal strength going to each radio and that's assuming no losses in the splitter.

It will be OK on local multiplexes, but if you are getting any multiplexes that are weak i.e.: just over the minimum required signal level for good reception, then the 3dB loss in signal would mean that you will lose satisfactory reception of these multiplexes.

A better route to go down (although more expensive) is a distribution amplifier, these compensate for the signal loss due to splitting the signal. In fact they can boost the signal to each radio, but it's important that any distribution amp has a low noise figure or it will degrade the signal. Labgear (other makes are available) (:o the Screwfix site has just gone down for maintenance :D but here is another link to Labgear direct) have been around for years and have a good reputation - check the first link when it's back up for prices.

The splitter is a temporary measure mate. ;-)

My current labgear distribution amp it's last port is being used with my dab radio.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Yes, the item you show will cover the DAB radio frequencies, but it is a passive device, it does not have an amplifier to boost the signal in order to compensate for the fact that it is shared between two devices. You will suffer some loss in signal strength.

I think this will be much better.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-SV9522-Amplified-Signal-Splitter/dp/B0045NGSDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390471912&sr=8-4&keywords=one+for+all+signal+splitter
    It plugs into the mains and covers the VHF and UHF bands, so will be fine for DAB

I have the four output version in use feeding our TVs and it has given me years of trouble free service.
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Yes, the item you show will cover the DAB radio frequencies, but it is a passive device, it does not have an amplifier to boost the signal in order to compensate for the fact that it is shared between two devices. You will suffer some loss in signal strength.

I think this will be much better.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-SV9522-Amplified-Signal-Splitter/dp/B0045NGSDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1390471912&sr=8-4&keywords=one+for+all+signal+splitter
    It plugs into the mains and covers the VHF and UHF bands, so will be fine for DAB

I have the four output version in use feeding our TVs and it has given me years of trouble free service.

This is temporary mate, I understand about the loss I am planning to upgrade my Labgear in the near future.