Options

Sky cynically sponsors 'The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies' ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,007
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    So perhaps you can explain the supposed link between the content of the programme and the advert with the guy eating spaghetti which made it "inappopriate".

It was more the massive gulf between the series nature of a dramatic scene unfolding and being interrupted by an out of context silly sponsor's message which belittled the drama.

It's not beyond the creative genius of an advertising bod to produce sponsors stings that fit better with the programme.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,007
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    So if there motive isn't profit, what is it?

I don't know ask them yourself. :)

In olden days when ITV could make a fortune broadcasting the testcard 23 hours a day and programmes for 1 hour, I imagine creative types would be given a budget and told to make a programme with no interference from the men in suits, Lew Grade and the boss of Granada seemed to operate like that.

Also when an ITV licence was due for renewal there seems to have been a burst of quality creative programmes. Then there's the prestige of 'making your mark' with a quality programme that may not make much money but those wonders for the ego. :)

Sometimes someone decides a programme must be made because its subject has to be told.

Interestingly during a large chunk of this drama, at least 30 minutes on the first night, there were only promos for ITV in the ad breaks and after the programme ended.