Are my neighbours homophobic or just nosey?

Comments

• sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    That isn't the case, their house faces my house so naturally I can see when he stares out of the window at me, I don't look first. If you were walking out of your house and someone was stood staring out of a window facing on to your house with a light on surely you would notice too? It's really broad when he's there, I don't look at them ever. I'm not remotely interested in them, I don't speak to them.

THEY are the one's who are peeking out at me, each time I go for a walk or if I'm at the front of the house for whatever reason with somebody else, he just appears at the window and stares out at me blankly. .

You only go out at dusk or at night?

Nets are cheaper than blinds - you slagged them off for not being the right type of people to live where you live - maybe they haven't got the money to get your choice of window coverings! ;-)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll tell you what, when I was about 20 my parents had gone away for the weekend and I had the house to myself (I'm gay by the way). I invited all my friends around...some of which are staright, some are very obviosuly gay and some don't coem across as gay whatoever. My neighbours at the time were so nosey and I knew they were dying to know if I was gay or not. I actually found it quite funny. I had this party and I could see the neighbours peering through their windows over at the house. I threw open the doors, rolled up the the blinds and fired up the smoke machine (in the words of Scissor Sisters!!) and balsted out 'It's Raining Men' on the speakers.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I'll tell you what, when I was about 20 my parents had gone away for the weekend and I had the house to myself (I'm gay by the way). I invited all my friends around...some of which are staright, some are very obviosuly gay and some don't coem across as gay whatoever. My neighbours at the time were so nosey and I knew they were dying to know if I was gay or not. I actually found it quite funny. I had this party and I could see the neighbours peering through their windows over at the house. I threw open the doors, rolled up the the blinds and fired up the smoke machine (in the words of Scissor Sisters!!) and balsted out 'It's Raining Men' on the speakers.

Sounds great, but not sure the OP would be up for that kind of thing! :D
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I'm not slagging off their choice of window dressing, I just think it's really odd that young people would have those in a new house. Even elderly people on my estate have blinds, not net curtains
    Maybe it's to stop paranoid neighbours watching them all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's hilarious mate, sounds like a great joke. How did they react to that?

I don't think I would be up for doing that, but I can tell some of them are very curious as to whether I'm gay or not (I don't know why). One of my other neighbours who lives the other end of the road to me always hints by asking me about if I have a girlfriend etc. I think they must know or suspect, I overheard them talking about it once a few years ago. Another neighbour appears to have always known as he asked me if I had a boyfriend, although I've never once told him I'm gay and I'm not camp and most people say you can't tell and it's not noticeable (I guess he assumes).
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would young people want old fashioned net curtains hanging in their new house windows anyway? They would be the last thing on my agenda

I don't suppose they considered your taste when they were decorating THEIR house.
    Perhaps you should stop obsessing about what your neighbours do before accusing them of obsessing about you. I wonder whether they have made several lengthy threads on forums about YOU. Probably not.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    net curtains help keep out wasps although not so much a problem in winter
    and you adding your neighbours son on facebook when you said his dad probably knows you are gay sounds to me like the bit in american beauty when the dad misconstrues his son's relationship with his neighbour to be a sexual one when infact he is just selling him dope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    net curtains help keep out wasps although not so much a problem in winter
    and you adding your neighbours son on facebook when you said his dad probably knows you are gay sounds to me like the bit in american beauty when the dad misconstrues his son's relationship with his neighbour to be a sexual one when infact he is just selling him dope.

Not the same neighbour as the son who added me on Facebook. His son is straight.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saintsebastien1, at the end of the day what does it really matter what they think? They're just looking out a window. It may be a bit annoying but just wave to them each time, they will soon take the hint.

Going by your previous posts you seem a bit obsessed with the neghbours in your parents street for a 20/21 year old ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think we need to set you up with the 16 year old who is actually gay but think he's transgendered
  • funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I think more people are homophobic than would admit it. You just have to get on an live your life though, do not let them get to you unless they do something that actively interferes with you going about your business as you choose. If they watch, they watch, they're wasting their life watching you live yours.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think we need to set you up with the 16 year old who is actually gay but think he's transgendered

You know I was beginning to wonder if they were the same person, theres a similar writing style... Both come across as immature, self obsessed, confrontational and always seem to try and reason they're rationales, albeit unsuccessfully... ;-)
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a cottage where the neighbours pass right by the lounge window. One woman always used to stare in as she went past and after she described in detail what next door was doing one night, I took to the nets. :D Blinds? Nightmare to clean with my coal fire. I only have them up occasionally now - she eventually got the message. But the thing with nets is that when it's dark outside, it's easy to forget people can see in.
    As for what the neighbours think about gay people what do you care? Just smile and wave if you think they are watching you! In any case this may be nothing to do with your sexuality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who is that? I'm 20, not 16...
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, is he gay or not ? I'm confused.

The neighbour may have a good excuse for his strange interest in his neighbours comings and goings.
    The topography of the street and one's house position sometimes lends itself to nosiparkerology.

Like Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window my front room window looks out onto my little cul de sac of front doors and lit windows and no-one walks in or drives in without me first seeing them.

It's better than the telly some nights, oh shit, the cop car's back at no.6 again tonight, ah, the Patient Transport bus dropping off Mr. Gdansk, bugger, them Jehovah Witnesses are back on the razz, hide behind the door.

Some nights I'll even put a little standing mirror at an angle on the window sill so I can observe the cu-de-sac and still watch the TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is that? I'm 20, not 16...

Hownowbrowncow "I think I may be transgender" thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hownowbrowncow "I think I may be transgender" thread

Oh right, I've just seen that thread - What does that have to do with me? I'm not transgender, I'm Gay. Are some people really that dumb that they think it's the same thing? I don't know who the other person is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    You know I was beginning to wonder if they were the same person, theres a similar writing style... Both come across as immature, self obsessed, confrontational and always seem to try and reason they're rationales, albeit unsuccessfully... ;-)

How am I being immature, self-obsessed or contronational? I'm seeking beneficial advice because I don't feel completely safe being watched by him when I am meeting people etc.

How does that make me immature and self-obsessed? I would love to know your input
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    saintsebastien1, at the end of the day what does it really matter what they think? They're just looking out a window. It may be a bit annoying but just wave to them each time, they will soon take the hint.

Going by your previous posts you seem a bit obsessed with the neghbours in your parents street for a 20/21 year old ;-)

Red Arrow, I am worried it could be with a malicious intent as they seem so clued up on my movements and whenever I'm in the presence of another male around my age. It's none of their business, it's so rude and invasive to watch me when I'm with other people. I know it's not the end of the world and yes, it doesn't matter but I am only concerned for my safety... How do I know he isn't a huge homophobe who might resort to doing malicious things to our house?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not transgender, I'm Gay. Are some people really that dumb that they think it's the same thing?

I'm not sure. I think the difference is that transgender men don't complain about where their neighbours choose to park their cars and care whether their neighbours are spying on them or not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. I think the difference is that transgender men don't complain about where their neighbours choose to park their cars and care whether their neighbours are spying on them or not

Change the record, the parking stuff is over now. It DOES bother me if my neighbour is spying on me, if it doesn't bother you then that's your personal feeling. Each to their own. Stop posting sarcastic and patheticly pointless comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop posting sarcastic and patheticly pointless comments.

Take your own advice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take your own advice

Please just stop
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are just nosey. We tend to act differently at home, many people have the mindset of "I'll do whatever I want in my own home" and whereas by-and-large there's nothing wrong with that it does mean people can be anything from curtain-twitching to being even more blatant with it by standing at their front door and gawping. Just watch Micky Flanagan's stand-up routine about the "peep-er and the peep-ee" :D

Also with respect I think bringing the notion of homophobia in to it is reckless and unwarranted - some people may never have been exposed to different lifestyles (I hate to use that word to describe someone's sexuality but it's in this just to help convey my point) and are therefore naturally inquisitive. It doesn't necessarily mean there's any negativity or malicious intent behind his curiosity.