Options

Muslim Council of Britain is Offended

Comments

• Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Pickles but he's done nothing wrong here, yes that means moderate Muslims must be more pro active in reining their easily disturbed flock, in.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    What it is not is an Islamic country, the values of which fly in the face of a modern progressive state (as do the more evangelical forms of Christianity - which is why they've largely died out). Some don't like this, in which case they should find a country in which they would be more comfortable than try and change this one.

The irony is that those who would seek to make this country just like the ones they came from, completely fail to recognise the fact that if this country were like their old ones, it wouldn't have been so appealing to come to in the first place.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim_Wilkes wrote: »
    Unfortunately those who have a hatred for a certain religion and it's followers. Vile individuals.

When Islam stops hating on homosexuals etc I'll reconsider my stance.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Oh, please. No so obtuse.

What sort of action had you in mind?

There are Jews going off to fight for the IDF, yet they are let back into the country no questions asked. Yet Muslims are being singled out. Israel regularly kills Muslims in Palestine and the government continues to support it. How can Muslims be expected to 'grass' on its members to the government, when this government continues to support Israel? This is assuming, that someone who is planning on going to Syria or commit an attack in the UK, will tell everyone, or at least the mosque leader that that is their intention. Which I doubt very much. There seems to be this thinking, that when someone plans an attack they tell everyone in the Muslim community about their intentions.

Its illegal for anyone with a british passport to fight in any foreign army. So if you are going to stop Muslims coming back from Syria (which is fair enough), you also have to stop those that fight in the IDF. Generally speaking those in the IDF would have committed far worse atrocities, than those that go to fight in Syria. Yet there is no talk of banning them.

The government needs to come down just as hard on Israel (no more no less), then once it does this. Maybe it will gain the hearts of minds of the Muslims. Until then, sending these letters wont mean much.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    Of course they are offended they are Muslim thats what they do best
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muslim Council of Britain is Offended

Couldn't help but think of this

Hovercat is HOvering
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    There are Jews going off to fight for the IDF, yet they are let back into the country no questions asked. Yet Muslims are being singled out. Israel regularly kills Muslims in Palestine and the government continues to support it. How can Muslims be expected to 'grass' on its members to the government, when this government continues to support Israel? This is assuming, that someone who is planning on going to Syria or commit an attack in the UK, will tell everyone, or at least the mosque leader that that is their intention. Which I doubt very much. There seems to be this thinking, that when someone plans an attack they tell everyone in the Muslim community about their intentions.

Its illegal for anyone with a british passport to fight in any foreign army. So if you are going to stop Muslims coming back from Syria (which is fair enough), you also have to stop those that fight in the IDF. Generally speaking those in the IDF would have committed far worse atrocities, than those that go to fight in Syria. Yet there is no talk of banning them.

The government needs to come down just as hard on Israel (no more no less), then once it does this. Maybe it will gain the hearts of minds of the Muslims. Until then, sending these letters wont mean much.

Whataboutery.......
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    There are Jews going off to fight for the IDF, yet they are let back into the country no questions asked. Yet Muslims are being singled out.
    How many Jews are coming back to try and kill/maim people here?
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    However can you say it is a truely Christian country when 50.6 % of the population don't believe in god? t.

and you know that how...believing in God is nothing to do with church attendance, or the census, in case you hadn't worked that out. Many people have a personal faith they don't divulge to just anyone as it's nobody's business but theirs. So it's always going to be very difficult to tell.
    Not everyone who has a faith or religion shouts it from the rooftops. Which again makes it extremely difficult to make sweeping statements about it.

How many Jews are coming back to try and kill/maim people here?

I thought you had to have at least dual,nationality to join the IDF? and if you have no-one can object. If there are others getting under the Israeli radar (not an easy thing to do) then like you I'd like to know how many are there and how likely are they to turn on this country when they get back.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I can't stand Pickles but he's done nothing wrong here, yes that means moderate Muslims must be more pro active in reining their easily disturbed flock, in.

I think he has. When was the last time the government wrote to the leaders of every Christian or Jewish congregation and told them what to say preach on a subject? The government should butt out of interfering ith religions unless the religion is breaking the law. If they don't like what a group expresses they should withhold public funds from them.

Neither the government or imams can have it both ways. Government should at least try to appear non-prejudiced. It was crass to announce extra security for Jewish organisations and at the same time send a judgemental letter to Muslim organisations.

And imams and "representative" societies" can't compete for public cash and access to "advisory" committed without compromising a bit more than they are currently and agreeing to follow mainstream rules when it comes to schools, youth clubs, community organisations etc.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? Just how many Jews go to "fight" for the IDF? Got any proof, or links, or evidence of any kind or is this just your supposition? I'd have thought they were far too busy being successful in commerce to jeopardise their livelihoods.

Yes - there's injustices in the Palastine/Israel conflict. No, I don't think Israel behaves itself, but the situation is not black and white. It's a total deflection, all the chest thumping and hand wringing by Muslims in the West. And excuse for everything. I absolutely guarantee that Muslims slaughtered in the world in 2015 by other Muslims will outnumber those killed by Israel many, many fold. Where's the chest beating about that? No - that's always the fault of the West too.

As for the IDF committing worse atrocities than ISIS, or Boko Horam - you are joking, surely?

And in any case, even if a trickle of Jews returned to the UK after a stint with the IDF, I have absolutely no concern that they would pose any threat to this country. How many murderous outrages have the Jews committed in Europe in the recent past?

Precisely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he has. When was the last time the government wrote to the leaders of every Christian or Jewish congregation and told them what to say preach on a subject?

How many violent fundamentalists come out of the Jewish or Christian congregations?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many violent fundamentalists come out of the Jewish or Christian congregations?

Lots. They just aren't targeting us so we sometimes forget or ignore their pernicious influence. So much do that some appear mainstream.

Israel is a country formed for and in the interests of violent fundamentalists - just as much as Saudi. Lords army, Eastern europe, George Bush, Blair ,dirty war in Argentina... The list is pretty long
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots. They just aren't targeting us

Precisely. Thank's for agreeing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lots. They just aren't targeting us so we sometimes forget or ignore their pernicious influence. So much do that some appear mainstream.

Israel is a country formed for and in the interests of violent fundamentalists - just as much as Saudi. Lords army, Eastern europe, George Bush, Blair ,dirty war in Argentina... The list is pretty long

Bingo!
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite the letter being full of sycophantic fawning bullshit, that only an imbecile would believe, I think it's the use of the word 'can' in the first paragraph that may have caused the response.

It indicates that islam currently isn't part of a British identity.

So I am not the only to think that then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well the majority of us are more concerned about the danger of terrorism on our own doorsteps.

At the present the threat is from Islam.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

The question of European religious fundamentalism (and how it's especially rife in Europe's Islamic minorities) is discussed in this interesting report:

http://www.wzb.eu/sites/default/files/u6/koopmans_englisch_ed.pdf

You really can't compare Christian or Jewish fundamentalism in Europe with Islamic fundamentalism.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News Flash ........
    Teresa May has written to the Archbishop of Canterbury demanding that he controls EDL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    News Flash ........
    Teresa May has written to the Archbishop of Canterbury demanding that he controls EDL.

Are they a Christian organisation?
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member

Israel is a liberal, democratic and relatively secular country. Not remotely comparable to an islamic nightmare like Saudi Arabia.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    When Islam stops hating on homosexuals etc I'll reconsider my stance.

Agreed.
  • Options
    BrolacBrolac Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    A muslim lady was interviewed on the news about the letter.She said (and I paraphrase)
    "I suppose it's right , afterall it is our children doing these things"
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Muslims and Islam are inherently apart from British society, simple as that really and they have done nothing to prove to they are not.

The response to that letter demonstrates the gulf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have just had someone from the Muslim council of Britain saying that the letter should not just have been sent to Mosques and that all faiths have to play their part??

Are they really on the same planet as the rest of us.