Options

Shooting at Paris satirical magazine office

Comments

• Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone way back said they suspected you were an anti-atheist who has an axe to grind.

How right they were.

Are you suggesting to ban the quran and/or Islam because of its unfounded hostility to disbelievers? why not when you would ban charlie hebdo's cartoons.

No not anti atheist. I could be anti militant anti theist though.

With good reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    The main thing god based religions have to fear is not cartoons but education.

Education about how the solar system was formed, the earth came into being and how life evolved on this planet.
    The last 70 years has seen a huge increase in the information gathered which illustrates how all these things happened.

None of it proves that there isn't a god, but it may make it easier to not believe that there is, and it is based on information which everyone can check.
    Given that there is no proof whatsoever of the existence of a god, evidence should count for something.

No it really doesn't make it easier to not believe, and this has been demonstrated over numerous debates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Quite a simple concept this one. He's someone with an opinion.

You know, like you, with your opinion that people shouldn't make satirical cartoons featuring Muslims.

Wrong.

My opinion is that people should self-monitor their cartoons.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    fatskia wrote: »
    The main thing god based religions have to fear is not cartoons but education.

Education about how the solar system was formed, the earth came into being and how life evolved on this planet.
    The last 70 years has seen a huge increase in the information gathered which illustrates how all these things happened.

None of it proves that there isn't a god, but it may make it easier to not believe that there is, and it is based on information which everyone can check.
    Given that there is no proof whatsoever of the existence of a god, evidence should count for something.

Unfortunately you can't prove something doesn't exist only that it does

God made an appearance every five minutes in the OT with his destruction of cities burning bushes or flooding the world and killing everyone but hasn't hasn't been seen for a few thousand years apart from the odd appearance in a fajita in Mexico so he either dead , buggered off somewhere else or just never existed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    :D

In bollywood's defence, they usually post as if unable to follow the argument, including their own.

It's all quite bizarre, this clumsy attempt to show Charlie Hebdo as the powerful aggressor against the poor, downtrodden, disadvantaged Muslim in the street, who is only trying to get through the day while big bad Charlie is busy bullying them out of their faith.

The facts are that Charlie Hebdo is a scrappy little satirical magazine which no one is forced to buy or look at, the staff of which refused to be silenced by an aggressive and often violent ideology (which is what they took the piss out of), and several paid for that defiance with their lives.

Given these facts, concentrating one's criticisms on the cartoons is pretty disgraceful.

Yes a scrappy magazine because not that many people were buying into their smug stance.

Now they want to slam those who don't care to re-publish cartoons that weren't worth it the first time around. Good luck with that.

You can't force people to re-publish any more than you can force secular belief down people's throats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't prove something doesn't exist only that it does

God made an appearance every five minutes in the OT with his destruction of cities burning bushes or flooding the world and killing everyone but hasn't hasn't been seen for a few thousand years apart from the odd appearance in a fajita in Mexico so he either dead , buggered off somewhere else or just never existed

This has been debated many times already. You will just lengthen the thread by continuing.

You could theoretically provide a great deal of evidence for the non-existence of certain things, if you had sufficient resources and time. It is harder though for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    This has been debated many times already. You will just lengthen the thread by continuing.

You could theoretically provide a great deal of evidence for the non-existence of certain things, if you had sufficient resources and time. It is harder though for sure.

Yet again you show just how wrong you and your opinions are
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong.

Even ones that they draw for personal amusement
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet again you show just how wrong you and your opinions are

Not wrong. Check with your research and get back to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »

You seem to be forgetting that the rights , beliefs and opinions of Muslims must take priority over everyone else :D
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Yes a scrappy magazine because not that many people were buying into their smug stance.

Neither you nor I know the exact reason for their circulation numbers. Funding for magazines is actually quite hard to get. I should imagine that those receiving death threats and being physically attacked don't strike investors as the easiest bit of cash they can make in print media.

The fact remains that they weren't some powerful elite beating up the downtrodden, as per your posts. They were a bunch of liberals with literally not much more than their pens and their wit. And now they're dead.
    Now they want to slam those who don't care to re-publish cartoons that weren't worth it the first time around. Good luck with that.

You can't force people to re-publish any more than you can force secular belief down people's throats.

No, you can't force people to re-publish. They have to make their own minds up if death is a price worth paying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be forgetting that the rights , beliefs and opinions of Muslims must take priority over everyone else :D

Damn better stop scribbling then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not wrong. Check with your research and get back to me.

Its simple there is no God never has been and never will be , common sense and reason shows that but if you want to believe in fairies thats up to you just don't try and force that belief on me as I'm am sane and intelligent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

Cartoons that are published and put on sale with intent aren't usually just for someone's personal amusement (unless they were stolen from their desk and distributed).

I'm about tired of hearing all the excuses for what intelligent educated people did purposefully and those of us who disagree must be obtuse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its simple there is no God never has been and never will be , common sense and reason shows that but if you want to believe in fairies thats up to you just don't try and force that belief on me as I'm am sane and intelligent

No one is forcing anyone to believe.

I'm suggesting that anti theists should not force their beliefs on others. Via deeply offensive cartoons or other methods.

If religious belief should be private, then anti religious belief should be private as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cartoons that are published and put on sale with intent aren't usually just for someone's personal amusement unless they were stolen from their desk and distributed.

I'm about tired of hearing all the excuses for what intelligent educated people did purposefully and those of us who disagree must be obtuse.

What you don't seem to be able to grasp is that a big difference between disagreeing with someone and shooting them and then going on to kill people who had bugger all to do with the cartoons in the first place

Well unless you're mentally unstable and believe a fairy told you to do it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you don't seem to be able to grasp is that a big difference between disagreeing with someone and shooting them and then going on to kill people who had bugger all to do with the cartoons in the first place

Well unless you're mentally unstable and believe a fairy told you to do it

Wrong.

I posted on this several times.

That's just another way of trying to intimidate those who don't agree with the cartoons into backing down.

By intimating they must condone shooting.

You can condemn shooting and disagree with the provocation as well.

Even Hebdo co founder disagreed with the level of provocation.

Isn't that true?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one is forcing anyone to believe.

I'm suggesting that anti theists should not force their beliefs on others.

If religious belief should be private, then anti religious belief should be private as well.

Great stop building Mosques and killing people in the name of a non existent fairy and keep it private
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wrong.

I posted on this several times.

Its got to the stage where I really couldn't care less what you think believe or post , I live in the 21st century not the 7th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great stop building Mosques and killing people in the name of a non existent fairy and keep it private

A mosque or church can be private you realize.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its got to the stage where I really couldn't care less what you think believe or post , I live in the 21st century not the 7th

Yes so do I but I accept that not everyone has come into the 21st Century yet.

Unlike some.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A mosque or church can be private you realize.

Now this sounds islamophobic to me.

If I can see it then its not private is it :confused:
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong.

They did. Then they decided to publish them.

What you really mean is that you don't want them to be published because you don't like them.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, you are being treated as obtuse because that is precisely how you act.

We all know your MO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cartoons that are published and put on sale with intent aren't usually just for someone's personal amusement (unless they were stolen from their desk and distributed).

You can disagree with us just as we can disagree with you

You have the right to be offended just as I have the right not to be offended