Robin Windsor's honest & informative Q&A video clip

13»

Comments

• dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Hmmm...Pasha and Alison both 1.78m tall. So she'd be taller in heels. And no info on Jennifer's height. This is where the headches begin. So glad I wasn't on the partnering committee...
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan O'Carroll is 5ft 5 at least according to Google and Jennifer towers over him. I'd guess she's 5ft 9. I liked his comment on the Christmas special of Mrs Brown's Boys that if she did Strictly she'd be like a giraffe on a frozen lake. And about her age - there's so much confusion - but I tend to go with this:

An article published in the Mirror in 2013 reported that actress and director Jennifer Gibney is 57. Depending on her birth month, at this writing, she may now be 58.

Read more http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/can-you-tell-me-how-old-jennifer-gibney-is-wife-of-brendan-ocarrol/21539427#ixzz3PcEnYP5Z

Why not Tristan and Pixie? I think their heights would have matched up just fine - and Trent wouldn't have been onboard if Robin had been. She's definitely too tall for Robin, Kevin or Pasha. And I don't think they're worried about giving Brendan ringers anymore (or Anton - and it was Aljaz's season to get a clunker after winning) - they're the only tall enough guys for Pixie besides Tristan.
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    He said when the producers saw him having a laugh with Lisa during rehearsals for the group dance, they decided to put them together instead.

Bet he's learned his lesson from that then!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said when the producers saw him having a laugh with Lisa during rehearsals for the group dance, they decided to put them together instead.

Imagine, just imagine, a world in which Brendan 'no one over a size 12, kthnxbai' Cole was paired with Lisa Riley.

How do we turn back time and make it happen?
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect Tristan was always due to get Jennifer - the whole Irish thing and being able to be based there fairly easily would be a big plus.

I imagine that they would want to keep the pairings as close to the original first thought as possible - Im not sure they would start mucking about with the male celeb partnerships because a male pro was out - what would be the need?

It looks like the person who really lucked out might well be Brendan, if he really was allocated Pixie at the start. As lovely as Suneta is, she was working a full time job miles from base training camp with extremely limited training time. Of course, it should be pointed out at if that were the case, Sunetra lucked out more.
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine, just imagine, a world in which Brendan 'no one over a size 12, kthnxbai' Cole was paired with Lisa Riley.

How do we turn back time and make it happen?

I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Lisa was intended for Artem before the switch, so presumably Brendan was going to get Fern? I can see why they wouldn't want to put Victoria with Artem, considering her nervy disposition.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Ok- so just for the sheer pointless –and totally untestable- fun of it all, I tried to imagine a different set of some pairs that might have led to a Simon win (new pairs in bold).

Gregg- Aliona
    Jennifer- Pasha
    Tim- Kristina
    Thom- Iveta
    Scott- Joanne
    Alison- Aljaz
    Judy- Anton
    Steve- Ola
    Sunetra- Robin
    Pixie- Brendan
    Jake- Janette
    Mark- Karen
    Simon- Natalie
    Frankie- Kevin
    Caroline- Tristan

My reasonings:

I'm only going on Tristan’s choreo for Jennifer, which to me was pretty flat, so maybe his choreo with Caroline would have been similar, thus leading to a non-win for her, plus her ringer status might have been more vulnerable without the public's love for Pasha.

No matter who she was paired with, Pixie’s ringer status was always going to leave her in Natalie Gumede’s shoes.

Natalie Lowe’s the right height for Simon and she seems to have much more public love for her now than when she was with Ricky Whittle so they might have been the perfect pair to beat off Pixie and Caroline.

I know this hasn't dealt with the Jake/Janette and Frankie/KFG pairings, but this was as far as I could get without my head hurting.

I loved Simon being paired with Kristina, but if memory serves, Robin said Simon should have won, not Simon&Kristina, so maybe he was originally paired with someone else.

Feel free to argue vehemently against/swap a few more round/ignore and get on with more worthwhile stuff.

Why on earth would Robin being in the show and not Trent have caused Tim and Simon to swap partners!? :confused: Surely that would only have affected the female celebrities?

To be honest, I think Robin is talking out of his backside if he thinks Simon would have won because Caroline might have had someone other than Pasha. I also think its pretty insulting to Caroline as it implies she wasn't good enough to win without a popular pro (and if Pasha is so popular why has he never won before!?).
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »

To be honest, I think Robin is talking out of his backside if he thinks Simon would have won because Caroline might have had someone other than Pasha. I also think its pretty insulting to Caroline as it implies she wasn't good enough to win without a popular pro (and if Pasha is so popular why has he never won before!?).

I'm not saying Robin is right, but I don't think it was intended to be insulting to Caroline. I don't think he was saying she won because Pasha is popular, but that their relationship/chemistry was part of the reason for their win. I don't think its unreasonable to say the chemistry would have been very different with any other pro and as a pair they may not have been as popular - I think this is true of most of the winners over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be mistaken, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Lisa was intended for Artem before the switch, so presumably Brendan was going to get Fern? I can see why they wouldn't want to put Victoria with Artem, considering her nervy disposition.

To be honest, I think Brendan was pushing it :D
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying Robin is right, but I don't think it was intended to be insulting to Caroline. I don't think he was saying she won because Pasha is popular, but that their relationship/chemistry was part of the reason for their win. I don't think its unreasonable to say the chemistry would have been very different with any other pro and as a pair they may not have been as popular - I think this is true of most of the winners over the years.

I get what you're saying, but Caroline is a great dancer and obviously appealed to the viewers so I think she would still have won with a different partner. The fact that she's winning shows on the tour with Tristan instead of Pasha suggests she has plenty of fans behind her rather than behind the partnership. I guess she may have struggled had she had terrible choreography but I doubt that would have happened!

Logically if anyone would have benefitted from a different partner, it would have been Pixie as she's the only one we can be 100% certain would have had someone different. That's not a theory I'd subscribe to though, I don't think she'd have won whoever she was paired with, and Trent did an amazing job with her IMO.
  • abs xabs x Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but Caroline is a great dancer and obviously appealed to the viewers so I think she would still have won with a different partner. The fact that she's winning shows on the tour with Tristan instead of Pasha suggests she has plenty of fans behind her rather than behind the partnership. I guess she may have struggled had she had terrible choreography but I doubt that would have happened!

Logically if anyone would have benefitted from a different partner, it would have been Pixie as she's the only one we can be 100% certain would have had someone different. That's not a theory I'd subscribe to though, I don't think she'd have won whoever she was paired with, and Trent did an amazing job with her IMO.

I watched the interview and all Robin said was that he thought that Simon, and I think Kristina, would have won if he had been in the pro line up . Robin didn't say anything about Caroline not being popular in her own right or that she is not an amazing dancer. Just, for whatever reason, he thought the result would have been different.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure at least half the reason Robin said Simon would have won is because he dances with Kristina, so he could well be a bit biased towards her!
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure at least half the reason Robin said Simon would have won is because he dances with Kristina, so he could well be a bit biased towards her!

Yeah, I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also wondered if it meant that Simon had come second rather than the official joint-second/third.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I also wondered if it meant that Simon had come second rather than the official joint-second/third.

That's a good point but we will never know, for sure.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, well, well ... I wonder what prompted Robin to be so unguarded? I'm actually surprised as he's always seemed like one of the least outspoken pros, and with the teacher dance stuff on ITT he appeared keen to keep himself 'in' with the beeb, presumably with an eye on the next series. It's well-known that the producers don't like anything that could be seen as dissection in the ranks, so I guess he's got something else lined up for August-December 2015.

Always the (seemingly) quiet ones that surprise.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would Simon have won .. the public put him in the dance off at least twice?
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Why would Simon have won .. the public put him in the dance off at least twice?

And? The public also didn't put him in the dance-off many more times than they did, and who's to say the same people vote every week - I for one didn't always vote, and I'm sure many others were the same!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And? The public also didn't put him in the dance-off many more times than they did, and who's to say the same people vote every week - I for one didn't always vote, and I'm sure many others were the same!

I loved Simon but didn't start voting for him, until after his Waltz.
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I suspect Tristan was always due to get Jennifer - the whole Irish thing and being able to be based there fairly easily would be a big plus.

I imagine that they would want to keep the pairings as close to the original first thought as possible - Im not sure they would start mucking about with the male celeb partnerships because a male pro was out - what would be the need?

It looks like the person who really lucked out might well be Brendan, if he really was allocated Pixie at the start. As lovely as Suneta is, she was working a full time job miles from base training camp with extremely limited training time. Of course, it should be pointed out at if that were the case, Sunetra lucked out more.

I agree with the point you make about the fact Tristan was probably going to always be paired up with Jennifer. That makes sense.

I can understand about Suneta having limited training time; especially when you have to commute over to Cardiff for work and then back to Elstree in Hertfordshire and vice-versa. :D I once remember the James Bond actor, Colin Salmon on a previous series once during the week having to go to Canada for an acting role :D

Pixie and Trent were a perfect couple; I couldn't imagine them putting Pixie with an older male like Brendan if Trent wasn't there. I watched a short video promo of them in action to promote the new series of Strictly on YouTube where Trent admits in good humour that Pixie gets easily distracted and she ended up putting a banana crown on his head at one point whilst they were supposed to be training. :D