BBC Two orders The Tractate Middoth for Xmas

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
Mark Gatiss has written and directed the adaptation of MR James’s short story.

Una Stubbs, Roy Barraclough and Louise Jameson are to star in a new BBC Two Christmas ghost story being written and directed by Doctor Who and Sherlock writer Mark Gatiss.

The trio will be joined by Sacha Dhawan (Last Tango In Halifax), John Castle (I, Claudius), David Ryall (The Village); Eleanor Bron (Bedazzled, Women In Love, Absolutely Fabulous) and Nick Burns (Nathan Barley)

The Tractate Middoth is a half-hour adaptation of MR James’s short story and sees the return of the traditional Christmas ghost story to BBC Two after a three year break.

In a quiet academic library, John Eldred (Castle) seeks out the help of young Mr Garrett (Dhawan) in his search for a seemingly obscure Hebrew text.

But there is something unusual about this book and something not entirely scholarly about Eldred’s intentions. Soon, Garrett’s hunt for the Tractate Middoth provokes terrifying apparitions in the library and a vengeful menace from beyond the grave.

Comments

• PilgPilg Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    There should always be a ghost story on BBC2 at Christmas.
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Mark's writing is as good as An Adventure in Space and Time and the atmosphere as creepy as his Unquiet Dead episode of Doctor Who then this could be great.
    Love Crooked House from a few years back so let's hope so.
    Am watching all of the older Ghost Stories for Christmas in the run up to the day itself and also reading a lot of M.R. James but am holding off from reading Tractate so I can experience this version first without any spoilers.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    M R James is the undisputed master of the short ghost story, but boy am I tired of Gatiss now. He's in Doctor Who and Sherlock. He writes for Doctor Who and Sherlock. Jameson was formerly in Doctor Who. Una Stubbs is in Sherlock. That Asian fellow was in the William Hartnell thing Gatiss wrote, etc. etc. Why didn't Gatiss just cast Tom Baker and have done with it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    M R James is the undisputed master of the short ghost story, but boy am I tired of Gatiss now. He's in Doctor Who and Sherlock. He writes for Doctor Who and Sherlock. Jameson was formerly in Doctor Who. Una Stubbs is in Sherlock. That Asian fellow was in the William Hartnell thing Gatiss wrote, etc. etc. Why didn't Gatiss just cast Tom Baker and have done with it.
    I was thinking about 'the old boys club' the other day.

Doctor Who is a good example where a background actor is then recalled in the future for a leading part.

Just recently Jessica Raines was in an episode of Doctor Who and then starred in the Hartnell drama.