Options

Windows Bods

GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.howtogeek.com/198622/heres-what-happens-when-you-install-the-top-10-download.com-apps/

Windows bods, please be very careful where you get your downloads from, and please, read every little dialog popup box carefully.

Comments

• Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I only usually download from the originators site if I need anything, but know people who have been bogged down with all sorts from different download sites.....
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, the only people likely to read (or care about) that article are the kind of people who already know what they are doing. Everyone else will continue to unintentionally install as much shite as possible. And then wonder where it all came from. Again.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a 'friend' who regularly contacts me with questions like 'Why am I suddenly getting Ask search results?' and claims he 'hasn't done anything'.

The article shows that these sites are a trap for the unwary, especially if you don't have an ad blocker.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About a year ago I was after a free .iso creator that both worked and was as free as possible from crapware. It took bloody ages to wade though all the reviews until I found one that was acceptable!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the problem is that the tick boxes to install all this crap ware are always pre-ticked so the "click Next without engaging brain" brigade get it whether they wanted it or not. ie you have to actively opt out rather than opt in to get all the crapware.

Of course if it somehow became mandatory that these boxes should be unticked by default I suspect some other means of getting the crapware onto peoples computers would be invented. One that perhaps makes it even more difficult for those of us who actually take notice of what the installer boxes are saying to avoid all this garbage.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that the tick boxes to install all this crap ware are always pre-ticked so the "click Next without engaging brain" brigade get it whether they wanted it or not. ie you have to actively opt out rather than opt in to get all the crapware.

Of course if it somehow became mandatory that these boxes should be unticked by default I suspect some other means of getting the crapware onto peoples computers would be invented. One that perhaps makes it even more difficult for those of us who actually take notice of what the installer boxes are saying to avoid all this garbage.

Of course, its not only malware installation due to ticking/unticking boxes that is a pain.

I hate it when you register on a website say, and you get a tick box and the website says something like "don't tick box if you want regular emails" i.e. use of a negative to attempt to confuse people,

Worse still is use of double negatives e.g. "don't tick box if you don't want regular emails". This really starts to confuse people.

And believe it or not, I have even seen triple negatives e.g. "don't tick box if you don't want regular emails not to be sent to you" - try working that out!

Any reputable web page e.g. a major UK commercial retailer should agree a code of conduct and not use negatives i.e simply "tick box if you want regular emails", and by default (preferably) unticked (that's probably an unrealistic expectation).

I suppose one common sense approach is that by default, the site will always try to send you crap, and so if box is ticked, untick it and vice versa (I say this slightly tongue in cheek - you have to read the small print carefully of course).
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I used to visit an internet cafe that had some of the world's slowest computers in there. They were running XP on these really low-spec machines and they had Norton Antivirus, which was never updated (to the best of my knowledge). The browser was IE6 with nearly every toolbar on the browser ever invented and they were absolutely riddled with viruses and other nasties. I stuck my USB stick into one of their machines to save a file i 2008 and I got hit with a nasty virus that nearly rendered my laptop useless >:( I bet they're still running the place with the same PCs.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such people need to be using the Windows app store and only the windows app store.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    One of the prime culprits is the Softonic website which is purveyor of cr@pware and, very regrettably, Cnet's http://download.cnet.com/windows/ site appears to following that bad example.

One of the advantages of Ubuntu-based Linux distributions is that you can get safe access to tens of thousands of programmes from the Ubuntu Software Center so you're not troubled by any additional promoted rubbish. With Windows, you have to take care about just what exactly you're downloading.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to cause a whole loads of lawsuits against software vendors for unintentional bugs etc, but the deliberate bundling of spyware or malware by software download sites should be something that victims can litigate and win a case if shown it was intentional on the part of the software site.

I'd love to see some civil or class action (I know that's a US term) suits, that would soon shut down these swines! At least the ones that currently get right up at the top of the search engine rankings.

User education is another part of it, like others have said, those that will fall victim to this won't be the sort that browse here or watch technology content, so those articles and these threads are going to have a limited effect.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    I used to visit an internet cafe that had some of the world's slowest computers in there. They were running XP on these really low-spec machines and they had Norton Antivirus, which was never updated (to the best of my knowledge). The browser was IE6 with nearly every toolbar on the browser ever invented and they were absolutely riddled with viruses and other nasties. I stuck my USB stick into one of their machines to save a file i 2008 and I got hit with a nasty virus that nearly rendered my laptop useless >:( I bet they're still running the place with the same PCs.

There are some places down the Old Kent Road like that. Full administrator access to the computers in there, so you can imagine how frigged up they are! All the PCs are wrecks.