Options

Did you shower after PE at school?

JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
Forum Member
✭✭
Just read this article on the BBC website which says there's a link between fitness and showering.
More than half of secondary school boys and two-thirds of girls never shower after PE, a study suggests.

The paper, in the European Journal of Sports Sciences, concludes pupils who do not shower are less active.

Can only remember having showering facilities in secondary school and was reluctant to use them, but was sometimes strongly encouraged to do so by the PE teacher. Think my reluctance was mainly due to shyness and embarrassment, but I was very active at that age and PE was one of my favourite activities, so don't think the conclusion of this study applies to me.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    We had to, often supervised by the PE teacher who seemed to have his hands down his tracksuit bottoms quite a lot.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only showered in first year of secondary school. After that I never did PE lessons at all due to illness.

Some of the boys kept their shorts on to save their blushes.
  • Options
    bobby_boleynbobby_boleyn Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Yes we all did.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was compulsory, didn't want to but they checked if your hair was wet and also you went into the shows to the right and came back out to the left so no stepping in and out you had to go through them.

Also we had to be in full uniform to go home if PE/Games was the last lesson.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. It was where we compared tallywhackers.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    As far as I know most schools don't have working showers in the changing rooms any more. I suspect the thought is that it could lead to problems if they encourage kids to get naked. I had to shower after pe. It was the rule. Hated it as did most others. So embarrassing!
    Sod all to do with being less active.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, always showered after PE...... people used to comment upon who was the smelly one..... so it was easier to shower, then be subjected to the 'plastics' saying ooh who smells..., etc.... think school showering was stopped under Blair...
    I guess kids these days do not care how they smell..... masking BO with Lynx does not help either....... but that doesn't stop them using half a can on themselves......
    Good Hygiene is massively important.....
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes always; I wasn't a smelly ****.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o
    Yes. It was where we compared tallywhackers.
    :o:o
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never. thankfully
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Rarely did PE if I could possible avoid it (and I was a master at it) but on the odd occasion that I did, I hated the showers as they were always freezing cold. Plus you are going through that stage where you don't want to get your bits out in public. Some having little bald stubby pencils and some with a tree trunk and a whole rain forest down there!
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were always forced to have showers. The PE teacher was always quite insistant. We had to take everything off as well no wearing shorts either.
  • Options
    bobby_boleynbobby_boleyn Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Serious? Kids not allowed to shower after pe thesedays? Is this true?
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,011
    Forum Member
    We had to have them. A couple of times the PE teacher would shower with us. It was all innocent though.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    We were always forced to have showers. The PE teacher was always quite insistant. We had to take everything off as well no wearing shorts either.

It was when the idiots who were still in the changing rooms who nicked your clothes while you were in there that made you not want to have one.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our showers never worked, we just changed and covered ourselves in body spray lol
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,277
    Forum Member
    No, nobody did and none of the PE teachers asked us to even though we had the facilities - albeit very antiquated ones, doubtful they were in much working order anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    The only showers we had at school were just outside the swimming pool, well away from the p.e. dept. So unless you had been swimming then no.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody did.
  • Options
    TominxsterTominxster Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all had to and all hated it. The PE teacher used to come and watch that had all showered. It was always really weird.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we didn't even have showers!

We also came in from PE 5 minutes before the end of the lesson (therefore 5 minutes before the next lesson started) so wouldn't have had time anyway.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I didn't shower at school as we didn't have adequate showers. Instead I waited til I went home.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tominxster wrote: »
    We all had to and all hated it. The PE teacher used to come and watch that had all showered. It was always really weird.

mandatory at our school too .

even if you tried to get out of p e , the teacher would always somehow manage to find a spare suspect pair of white shorts that someone had cacked their full whack in for you to borrow .

we could hear the goings on in the girls showers , but unfortunately their wasn't any holes for your favourite porkys scene. :)
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The PE Teacher made us all have a shower, get dressed and anyone not ready in 5 minutes got detention.
    It focussed the mind and didn't leave time to get embarrassed.