Options

How long did the Time War last?

David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
Forum Member
It could have been going on for years during Night of The Doctor and it look like the War Doctor had a long life span seeing he was young when he regenerated and was old in Day of The Doctor and maybe the war didn't end in Day Of The Door maybe it was during the series 1 finale

Comments

• Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allegedly, it was occurring for an eternity across time and space all at once, but only 400 years in linear terms. I haven't read the Engines of War yet, but that's the source.

It seems all the fighting took its toll on the War Doctor. as he aged a lot more aggressively than Matt Smith did over the same amount of time.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allegedly, it was occurring for an eternity across time and space all at once, but only 400 years in linear terms. I haven't read the Engines of War yet, but that's the source.

It seems all the fighting took its toll on the War Doctor. as he aged a lot more aggressively than Matt Smith did over the same amount of time.

I presume that the time war back story was only written by Moffat in the last few years and RTD didn't have anything proper on it other than the Doctor killing the other time lords which Moffat just rewrote anyway!
    I'm sure that book would be a good read.
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    I remember reading that RTD had certain ideas for the Time War and that one day he wanted to write them down.
    I don't know how much Moffat has pissed on those chips though.
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can really put a time on it, it was spread out over all of time. History kept being changed, things were rewritten a lot, people/daleks dying over and over again etc.
  • Options
    Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I remember reading that RTD had certain ideas for the Time War and that one day he wanted to write them down.
    I don't know how much Moffat has pissed on those chips though.

Eww. What an unpleasant expression. From what I know of RTD's ideas about the Time War though, I'd say what Steven Moffat has done hasn't made much difference to them. Obviously he changed how it ended but nothing else about it has ever been alluded to in series 5-8.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    RTD could still write most of his original version I should think, it still happened like that before the ending changed, and the 'original' events had their bearing on subsequent Doctors anyway (especially 10 ofc) so is something I'd be very interested in reading in whatever form :)

I think now Moffat's gone into it (and appears to be going further - Gallifrey Falls No More) though RTD will leave it alone to let him take it where he wants.