What would you do for Torchwood: Series 5?

13»

Comments

• tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Regulars: Jack, Gwen, Rhys, Andy, Martha, Mickey and a new female character.

I'd resolve all the Miracle Day plotlines - reverse Rex's immortality, send him back to the CIA and nuke The Families.

Then literally bring back the series to Cardiff, back in a newly refurbished Hub.

Have a villain in a similar manner to Billis, connected to Jack's past but format wise, back to the Series 1 & 2 format for 10 episodes a week.

Some Doctor Who references here and there and obviously more details on Jack's past.

Show Jack's relationships with other characters as much as the focus on his relationship with Gwen.

And inject some fun into the mixture. COE and MD were too grim for their own good.

How can you have 10 episodes a week? It would be TW overload. Chief bosses at the BBC wouldn't let it happen. Maybe if you had two hour long episodes a week, for a 10 episode series, then that would work.

I've been thinking about this more, since I lasted posted my suggestion. What I would probably do, is have Gwen wake up one morning, and say to Rhys, "I've been having strange dreams." She would then explain to Rhys about COE and MD.

That would take TW back to before then and have the show's Fifth series start just after Gwen, Jack and Ianto fought the Daleks in 2008.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I would just like it to be back as it started - with the original team! They were the best IMO. Owen, Tosh, Ianto etc.
    That would mean doing a prequel though - so that wouldn't involve Gwen. And I like her. Ohh - there is no way I'd watch it again.....it's had it's day! :eek:: Let's face it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    How can you have 10 episodes a week? It would be TW overload. Chief bosses at the BBC wouldn't let it happen. Maybe if you had two hour long episodes a week, for a 10 episode series, then that would work.

I've been thinking about this more, since I lasted posted my suggestion. What I would probably do, is have Gwen wake up one morning, and say to Rhys, "I've been having strange dreams." She would then explain to Rhys about COE and MD.

That would take TW back to before then and have the show's Fifth series start just after Gwen, Jack and Ianto fought the Daleks in 2008.

I'm pretty sure Shaun meant to say 1 episode a week. But no, I think 'it was all a dream' would be the worst possible solution, no matter how bad Miracle Day was; it's poor storytelling and insulting to the audience.
  • mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see them carry on where they left of for the most part. "The Families" have obtained lots of Alien tech, and plan to re-open/manipulate the rift. Torchwood discover this while trying to understand how Rex obtained the same immortality as Captain Jack, and a way to undo it.

I would like to find some way to return them all to the UK. Probably London to keep the Starz audience happier than using Wales. We could introduce some people from the other Torchwood teams who have gone into hiding and introduce some tech they salvaged.

Move away from governments, and government agencies (unless they can be comical, or obstacles for Torchwood). Go back to weekly stories, with a bit of an Arc. End with Rex dying, and ending ties with the US elements, so the BBC could bring it back on its own in the future.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torchwood can only really end with Jack's death. Gwen crying over Jack's body as he finally gets the release he deserves...
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Set in the year 2113.

New Team, Jack is still in charge but is off doing his own thing most of the time.

Not set totally on Earth, some cases take the team to Mars (Stardust City) or other human bases around the Solar System.

Rex became mortal again and died.

Gwen in 2013 was kidnapped by aliens/fell through a reopened Rift/was put in Suspended animation but reappears/awakes in 2113 to a world she doesn't recognise (where she has grandchildren older than her).

The return of Gwen brings Jack back on to the scene full time.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skip forward to the mid-22nd century...

Jack and the now immortal Rex are working as private detectives whilst at the same time trying to hide the fact that they can't die from a snooping government agency.

Eve Myles appears again as a descendant of Gwen and also in flashbacks that show some of Gwen's life after series 4.

Mickey and Martha travel forward from the early 21st century to complete the team and Ianto features as a stored consciousness in a computer like a cross between library River and Mister Smith from SJA.

...and then the Daleks turn up!
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring it back to Cardiff.

Jack, Gwen, Rhys, Martha, Mickey and a new character as regulars. Rex as recurring.

A thirteen episode series of self contained episodes,but with continous storyline about 'the Families' a la DWS6.

Make Torchwood 4 part of the storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think bringing it back to a 13 episode run, set primarily in the Cardiff and the UK would be the best bet. Those first two series were primarily monster-of-the-week, with a very loose arc usually crammed into the opening and finale, so I'd push for a more paced and smart series arc this time round.

As inspector_drake suggests, continuing on with the Families storyline hinted at the end of Miracle Day might be an idea, but if they wanted to push out of that storyline, refer to them only briefly as part of something far bigger. DWS6 is also another good analogy, as the spacing of those episodes was a measured enough pace for the River story. Something like the mythology episodes in the X-Files would be an idea, but with less episodes to work with per series, the writers would have to be quite imaginative.

I think in terms of content, I'd bring the show back to more familiar surroundings. You can bring Jack back in, Gwen too and I'd be happy to see Rhys around. As for Mickey and Martha - one or the other would work for me as I don't the show needs another relationship amongst the regular line-up. Both actors are fairly busy anyway, so perhaps a recurring role for Martha as their medical consultant.

As for other characters - I think a new future for Torchwood could be the institute getting it's funding back - whether by dastardly means or the return of Torchwood Four... They'd have to have a liason of sorts to Head Office, perhaps in the vein of the Yvonne Hartmann character from Doctor Who. Although I'd weird her up, Tara Fitzgerald on heat.

I'd also like to see a lot of the unseen history of Torchwood revealed - we could delve back into the 30s or 40s for a two parter, or perhaps other eras could be explored through some other storyline, feature of the new base, mice eating carrots, I don't know.

I bloody love Grange Hill.