POLL: What is your favourite Jon Pertwee story?

Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 565
Forum Member
✭✭
I am running a number of polls to discover the favourite story for each Doctor. This one is for the Third Doctor.

This poll will be open for 7 days.

What is your favourite Jon Pertwee story? 108 votes

Spearhead from Space
7% 8 votes
Doctor Who and the Silurians
1% 2 votes
The Ambassadors of Death
2% 3 votes
Inferno
15% 17 votes
Terror of the Autons
5% 6 votes
The Mind of Evil
0% 1 vote
The Claws of Axos
0% 1 vote
Colony in Space
0% 1 vote
The Daemons
19% 21 votes
Day of the Daleks
4% 5 votes
The Curse of Peladon
1% 2 votes
The Sea Devils
6% 7 votes
The Mutants
0% 0 votes
The Time Monster
0% 0 votes
The Three Doctors
4% 5 votes
Carnival of Monsters
5% 6 votes
Frontier in Space
1% 2 votes
Planet of the Daleks
1% 2 votes
The Green Death
4% 5 votes
The Time Warrior
5% 6 votes
Invasion of the Dinosaurs
3% 4 votes
Death to the Daleks
1% 2 votes
The Monster of Peladon
0% 0 votes
Planet of the Spiders
1% 2 votes

Comments

• bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I suggest you do one each week? I am guessing some people will complain when at least 11 threads started by you (at this rate) will be on the first page. Also your second doctor one has no poll.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Starting so many threads and polls will mean less people are likely to engage. Maybe even one every fortnight or month would be better giving each thread a chance to have some discussion rather than be lost among the others.
  • Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    Can I suggest you do one each week? I am guessing some people will complain when at least 11 threads started by you (at this rate) will be on the first page. Also your second doctor one has no poll.

Do not worry I'm not adding all 11 Doctors in one night. I've started the first 3 Doctors just to get the ball rolling. I am aware of the second Doctor poll. It should be on there by now.

Next week will see the fourth Doctor.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite my dislike of the Exile Scenario, The Daemons quite strangely enough is my fave Pertwee Story. I guess as with The Web Of Fear summing up Troughton's Era, The Daemons sums up Pertwee's. Just love everything about it, I love creepy stories set in Quaint English Villages!

Have also to give special mention to The Curse Of Peladon, The Three Doctors and Planet Of The Spiders as other Pertwee stories I thoroughly enjoy.

:)
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    The Daemons.
    Though my other favourites are Spearhead from Space, Inferno, Curse of Peladon, The Sea Devils and The Green Death.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A single favourite is hard but I went for Ambassadors of Death, just because I don't think it usually gets enough credit. It's a little slow, but they were good at long stories in this era, and the story concept is fantastic. One of the creepiest Doctor Who plots. It has good characters and a lot of drama. Underrated story.

My most rewatched is Spearhead from Space. I love how being entirely location filmed makes it feel like a film. For that reason, on top of its story accessibility (introduces Pertwee and UNIT), it's one of the first classic Who stories I would recommend to someone wanting to check it out. Good 'monsters', good invasion plot. Whilst never quite being a top tier serial it has no weaknesses (maybe the ending is a bit weak) and just looks great.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed The Time Warrior whe I first saw it on DVD. It is my all-time favourite JP story. Also this story introduces Sarah Jane Smith too! :D
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went for Inferno. The Silurians and Carnival of Monsters darn close though.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terror of the Autons for me. Love the Master in this one.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I went for Carnival of Monsters because it was just so imaginative and fun. I loved the showman and his assistant, the groundhog day on the boat, the drashigs...

I almost went for the Time Monster as it introduced Sarah Jane and a very effective introduction for the Sontarans too. Day of the Daleks was one of the first Timey Wimey ones which always appealed to me, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I went for Carnival of Monsters because it was just so imaginative and fun. I loved the showman and his assistant, the groundhog day on the boat, the drashigs...

I almost went for the Time Monster as it introduced Sarah Jane and a very effective introduction for the Sontarans too. Day of the Daleks was one of the first Timey Wimey ones which always appealed to me, too.

Something I have found with Carnival of Monsters though is that it is tremendously fun on the first viewing, a little less on th second and the pattern continues. It's a bit one note for me. Definitely one of Pertwee's best, don't get me wrong, but not the most rewatchable.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Difficult one for me, could easily have voted for The Daemons, The Time Warrior of The Sea Devils. Really like Inferno and The The Three Doctors as well but went for his first Spearhead in Space as my favourite.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has to be Inferno for me. It's 7 episodes long, but still manages to stay engaging from start to finish.
    Close behind are Planet of the Spiders and The Daemons.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    Quite a tough choice - I'm not a fan of the Pertwee era but there are a few stories that I genuinely love, especially in his final year (with Sarah Jane). I did love the Sea Devils until I saw it again recently and found it (I'm sad to say) a little long and dull. It is essentially the template for 'Terror of the Zygons' a few years later, I guess.

Inferno is just mad and wonderful but, again, a little stretched. I thought Time Warrior was perfectly paced, and a great introduction for SJS. But I voted for Invasion of the Dinosaurs just because it was such a surprise for me - genuinely enthralling story and special effects that were so much better than I was expecting.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Quite a tough choice - I'm not a fan of the Pertwee era but there are a few stories that I genuinely love, especially in his final year (with Sarah Jane). I did love the Sea Devils until I saw it again recently and found it (I'm sad to say) a little long and dull. It is essentially the template for 'Terror of the Zygons' a few years later, I guess.

Inferno is just mad and wonderful but, again, a little stretched. I thought Time Warrior was perfectly paced, and a great introduction for SJS. But I voted for Invasion of the Dinosaurs just because it was such a surprise for me - genuinely enthralling story and special effects that were so much better than I was expecting.

It's not my favourite era either, although Season 7 is brilliant IMO but it has many fine moments and Invasion is right up there for me. Very entertaining and thoughtful story. Already voted and commented, but would just like to add my particular appreciation of Curse of Peladon, The Daemons, The Green Death and the The Time Warrior. All absolute gems.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm on record as being quite the opposite of a Pertwee fan but my criticism is always this: after his first year everybody stops making an effort as they pump out identikit stories week by week.

I voted for Inferno because I think it's not only Pertwee's best but one of the all-time classics. It's treated entirely seriously, everyone puts in a good performance, the Doctor isn't some sort of superhero, it tries something new and not even the standard issue Pertwee-era people falling from great heights and a car chase manage to ruin the pace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm on record as being quite the opposite of a Pertwee fan but my criticism is always this: after his first year everybody stops making an effort as they pump out identikit stories week by week.

I voted for Inferno because I think it's not only Pertwee's best but one of the all-time classics. It's treated entirely seriously, everyone puts in a good performance, the Doctor isn't some sort of superhero, it tries something new and not even the standard issue Pertwee-era people falling from great heights and a car chase manage to ruin the pace.

Feel similarly.

After the superb Season 7, there are some great stories for me. Terror of the Autons, Mind of Evil, Carnival of Monsters, Invasion of the Dinosaurs
  • Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    It's not my favourite era either, although Season 7 is brilliant IMO but it has many fine moments and Invasion is right up there for me. Very entertaining and thoughtful story. Already voted and commented, but would just like to add my particular appreciation of Curse of Peladon, The Daemons, The Green Death and the The Time Warrior. All absolute gems.

Although I didn't vote for it (I'm the lone vote for the Silurians :)), it' great to see some appreciation for Invasion of the Dinosaurs. I loved this story. I read it first as a Target book, so that helped as I was able to imagine the dinosaurs. And my imagination was somewhat better than what we saw on screen.

I've noticed Invasion of the Dinosaurs has been bagged quite a lot lately but it was an interesting story with a good twist half way through. The dinosaurs, okay, were not great, but you need to look past this. Plus the close up dinosaurs weren't too bad & the pterodactyl was okay too.

When watching it recently I was seeing how easy it would be to overlay CGI dinosaurs, and noticed they were used sparingly and don't think it would have been too hard to do. You could simply replace the close ups of their heads altogether, and then just overlay the long action shots. The pterodactyl you would leave as is and the close ups of the sleeping Rex. Okay, so maybe it would still be a little costly to get right. After the Day of the Daleks revamped release (which I thought worked brilliantly and really adds to the story & the need for better effects), I thought they would do the same for Invasion of the Dinosaurs. After this release, noticing the poor colourisation of episode one, and what they did with The Mind of Evil & the fact they started releasing special edition releases, I was sure we were going to get a special edition 2 disk (stand alone) with CGI dinosaurs and better colourisation of episode one with this. But alias, I was proven wrong.

If there's any call for a revamped rerelease, then I would call for this. What do others think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I think there has been a little trend recently of Dinosaurs starting to get some of the credit it deserves for its story after years of it being dismissed out of hand and laughed at for its poor dinosaur effects. I feel that Mike Yates' betrayal has never been given the recognition it deserves as a really bold story idea. I'm amazed that in not-really-fifty years the Doctor has never been betrayed by a companion (even Turlough, who started out with a quest to kill the Doctor never really provided any antagonism for him). It's a storyline begging to be done really. Maybe they feel it wouldn't be a family friendly storyline to have someone trusted by the Doctor turn on him.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I loved that dinosaur story...and lots more - including The Three Doctors. But my final decision is.... Inferno. From the first season that I actually HATED! I hated that first season because it was too earth-bound (along with the second season). But Inferno had something different about it. (It involved the Tardis!)

I preferred his space adventures in the end!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see there's two other Ambassadors boosters!
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easily my favourite era of the show - for me, Pertwee's first season is the best season of classic Who ever - so choosing one is hard. Even so, I've gone for The Daemons. Not from Season 7, obviously. But pound for pound it's so quintessentially Pertwee (just like Goldfinger can represent the Bond series even though it's far from being the best) that it represents that glorious era to me.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Seta wrote: »

I've noticed Invasion of the Dinosaurs has been bagged quite a lot lately but it was an interesting story with a good twist half way through. The dinosaurs, okay, were not great, but you need to look past this. Plus the close up dinosaurs weren't too bad & the pterodactyl was okay too.

If there's any call for a revamped rerelease, then I would call for this. What do others think?

I'm not so sure. At first I thought the colour on episode 1 ought to be redone, but then I saw the colour recovery on Ambassadors of Death, which looked even worse in places. If they improve Dinosaurs, they should improve Ambassadors as well.

As for redoing the dinosaurs in CGI, I think there was some discussion here about whether it could be done and most people concluded no. They would have to have the blank elements without the old dinosaurs in frame, which apparently no longer exist.

If there ever is a revised DVD, though, I think the disc should default to the colour version of episode 1 instead of having to go to the special features menu to play it. After Ambassadors, the embarrassment over the colour quality of Dinosaurs 1 seems a bit laughable.
  • saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted for The Daemons.
    I nearly voted Inferno
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    The Three Doctors