Is Steven Moffatt confusing The Doctor and Sherlock characters .

2»

Comments

• MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    To summarise the answer:
    NO

That's far too many characters - try N
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemis1 wrote: »
    Is he preparing us for the final Dr Who - no 12 and the total end of the series.

Yes, that is what is happening. The BBC have decided to allow one of their employees to kill off one of their longest-running and most profitable franchises, because - why not?

Even though it would have been easier (and made more sense) for Moffat to have made Capaldi the 13th incarnation, if his plan was to end the Doctor, he thought he'd randomly contradict some of his earlier 11th Doctor stories - the ones where 11 still seemed to have regeneration capabilities - and have Smith play the final Doctor, then give him a whole new set of regenerations, then kill the Doctor.

I can see how it all makes sense.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemis1 wrote: »
    I do like your analysis and hope you are right .I have loved Dr Who for many years but found this doctor so different.

Having watched the Orient Express episode I am happy again.

I wonder will a crossover episode ever happen --- imagine Sherlock trying to fathom the Dr and vice versa.

Y'all need to read 'All-Consuming Fire' by Andy Lane - if you can find a copy. The 7th Doctor, Ace and Benny meet Holmes and Watson. ONe of the best New Adventures in my book.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I think the reviewer thought it might explain the lack of emotional connection on 12's part. It was pure supposition. The fact that he referred to Clara as 'broken' when she displayed two different emotions - she was smiling but yet seemed sad. I think people on the spectrum can have similar difficulties but I am no expert on it.
    I think that scene alone proves that the Doctor isn't autistic at any level - or he wouldn't have picked up on even one of those emotional cues, let alone discern two simultaneously! Sure, he didn't want to talk about it, but, and as he made clear later, he completely understands why the humans would want to mourn and feel sorry for themselves and not want to die, but that there wasn't an option.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Well, if it pulled in the punters for Sherlock, I doubt the BBC would complain about the similarity.

It is nice to see some non-Moffat episodes though, where the snark is kept to a minimum.
  • bunglybungly Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Well I'm sorry if this upsets people but Peter Capaldi is not a patch on David tennant or Matt Smith
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bungly wrote: »
    Well I'm sorry if this upsets people but Peter Capaldi is not a patch on David tennant or Matt Smith

Oh my god yes I'm so upset. You've made me cry. I'll be awake all night, drinking vodka between sobs.

Your opinion is fair. I don't think this is the thread for it though.
  • bunglybungly Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Sorry can you direct me to the correct thread
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry can you direct me to the correct thread

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2015222

There's a lot of moaning about Capaldi here. I'm sure you'll enjoy it haha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have considered the similarities, and I no longer recognise him as the kindest man in the universe... but you can still see that he's the Doctor, and he still cuts a stark contrast against Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock is cold and detached, he's the opposite of quirky and he never aspires to be heroic - he just likes puzzles. The Doctor has inherited some of his bemusement at human niceties, he's inherited the complete lack of tact, but while he plays at detachment he gets invested in the day-to-day. He cares about children, ("it's like ROCKET FUEL!") he has a conscience, he fundamentally wants to make the world a better place. He aspires to be a good man, and that's a huge motivating difference.

Someone up-thread suggested that he was nothing like the dotty Patrick Troughton, the funny Tom Baker, the personable Peter Davison and the dashing Paul McGann - and criticises him as less avuncular than Hartnell and Pertwee... but I'd challenge all but one of them. Capaldi's a hoot, every bit as funny (and indeed rudely funny!) as Tom Baker, definitely dashing and avuncular, and completely dotty to boot. Personable as Davison? Definitely not, I'll give you that, but each Doctor is a new take.

Of all the Doctors, Capaldi is the most like Steven Moffat's Sherlock Holmes, definitely - but he's far more like William Hartnell, Tom Baker and Chris Eccleston, and riffs on traits that were clear even in David Tennant and Matt Smith's Doctors, who he's most clearly a reaction to. Cos the Doctor's always been rude (and not ginger!) - David Tennant is remembered as rather smooth and romantic, but he was also constantly rude, and either oblivious or indifferent to the effect it had on the humans around him. "Not her, she'd hold us up." "Rose would know... Ah well! Can't be helped. Take you home in the morning." He's like fire, and ice, and rage, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

Awwww... sorry to hear that. You'll have to get used to X-Factor instead then, won't you?

Actually, I fail to see what your erudite opinion on Capaldi's performance has to do with this thread at all - shouldn't you be adding your tuppence-worth to the 'I hate Capaldi' thread instead?