Who In The UK Would Buy This Album?

Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
While searching for CDs I just found that Sony Music in Poland have just released a new compilation album on 09/09/2016 titled I Love Rock'n'Roll with many good classic tracks including Bill Hayley - Rock Around The Clock, Jhonny Cash - Ring Of Fire and Elvis Presley - Houng Dog. But here in the UK this would stir lots of controversy. Track 8 on the second disc is listed as Rock And Roll Part 2. I don't really like mentioning the name. Most people will know or can see on the link who it's by though. It shows you the full track listings on the tap where it says Opis.

http://www.empik.com/i-love-rock-n-roll-various-artists,p1127260960,muzyka-p

I bet it has not sold many copies.

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While searching for CDs I just found that Sony Music in Poland have just released a new compilation album on 09/09/2016 titled I Love Rock'n'Roll with many good classic tracks including Bill Hayley - Rock Around The Clock, Jhonny Cash - Ring Of Fire and Elvis Presley - Houng Dog. But here in the UK this would stir lots of controversy. Track 8 on the second disc is listed as Rock And Roll Part 2. I don't really like mentioning the name. Most people will know or can see on the link who it's by though. It shows you the full track listings on the tap where it says Opis.

Not controversial at all, hate the artist for their sick crimes sure, but don't ignore their talent if you like the song.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get why some people feel so desperate to sanitise the past in this way. I also find it ridiculous that the BBC won't show old editions of TOTP with Savile and Travis. It won't make them unhappen.
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I really don't get why some people feel so desperate to sanitise the past in this way. I also find it ridiculous that the BBC won't show old editions of TOTP with Savile and Travis. It won't make them unhappen.

Travis wasn't even that bad either he was just a sexist pig who groped women hardly a Tv banning offence, many have done a lot worse and are still on TV,
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know pathetic isn't it? after all Michael Jackson is played here.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock and Roll Part 2 is written by Gary Glitter and Mike Leander and it is played by musicians who later became the Giltter Band.

It's a great piece of music, I bought the single myself. And I saw Gary Glitter play live in the 70s. As said above there are things from the past you simply can't undo and why should innocent parties suffer?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    As said above there are things from the past you simply can't undo and why should innocent parties suffer?

Isn't that why he's in prison?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock and Roll Part 2 is written by Gary Glitter and Mike Leander and it is played by musicians who later became the Giltter Band.

It's a great piece of music, I bought the single myself. And I saw Gary Glitter play live in the 70s. As said above there are things from the past you simply can't undo and why should innocent parties suffer?

Wasn't it originally attributed to The Glitter Band rather than Glitter himself?

I saw glitter in the 1990s, mainly it must be said, because Girlschool were the support band though!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it originally attributed to The Glitter Band rather than Glitter himself?

Discogs says it was released under Glitter's name and has a photo of the single: https://www.discogs.com/Gary-Glitter-Rock-And-Roll-Part-1-2/release/473789
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I refused to listen to music by performers who are/were convicted criminals, I probably wouldn't have much left to listen to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I refused to listen to music by performers who are/were convicted criminals, I probably wouldn't have much left to listen to.

I think it rather depends on the nature of the crime.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Glitter has made millions from Oasis' What's the Story Morning Glory album. I wonder how people who think all Glitter should be boycotted feel about that?
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

excatly- the album mentioned features work by johnny cash - drug addict, phil spector - murderer, elvis - had a 14 year old girlfirend etc
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    excatly- the album mentioned features work by johnny cash - drug addict, phil spector - murderer, elvis - had a 14 year old girlfirend etc

Not forgetting Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often wonder if I'm morally obliged to avoid the music of those who have committed sick crimes. I used to enjoy the music of Lostprophets, but can't help but feel a little bit weird if I tried to listen to a song these days after the revelations in 2013.
  • twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL. Says something about either the music business or your character or both. Sure let's reward criminals , because they could write or steal a song. Sheesh!
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I often wonder if I'm morally obliged to avoid the music of those who have committed sick crimes. I used to enjoy the music of Lostprophets, but can't help but feel a little bit weird if I tried to listen to a song these days after the revelations in 2013.

that is a hard one, I have all their albums and still have some of their songs on playlist but I still skip them, it is different maybe as Watkins was principal songwriter and any plays will give him more money than the rest of the band. He was just so unremorseful and arrogant about the whole thing that just made it worse, maybe in 10 years or so I can play songs like 'rooftops' again.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you owned a CD, would that be morally OK to listen to (as the payment has already been made to the artist)? Interesting that technology has muddied the waters of whether we can listen to disgraced artists.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thorney wrote: »
    that is a hard one, I have all their albums and still have some of their songs on playlist but I still skip them, it is different maybe as Watkins was principal songwriter and any plays will give him more money than the rest of the band. He was just so unremorseful and arrogant about the whole thing that just made it worse, maybe in 10 years or so I can play songs like 'rooftops' again.

I agree, it is an awkward one for me as well.

I've always felt sorry for the other band members, their career in Lostprophets ended through no fault of their own. Although I have read they intend to carry on as a new band with a new name, for obvious reasons!
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twells wrote: »
    LOL. Says something about either the music business or your character or both. Sure let's reward criminals , because they could write or steal a song. Sheesh!

A lot of artists are very strange people to say the least. Quite a few have been complete nutcases.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's sad that I even know this, but none of the "classic" Gary Glitter hits actually feature the Glitter Band, who were put together specifically for TV appearances and touring. The records themselves, including "Rock & Roll", were performed solely by (multi-instrumentalist & producer) Mike Leander with Glitter himself, though the Glitter Band did of course perform on their own records (also produced by Leander.)

The first time Gary & the Glitter Band appeared together on a studio record was for the 1982 British Electric Foundation (AKA Heaven 17) album "Music Of Quality & Distinction Volume 1", where they did a cover of Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" - the album also features Bernie Nolan covering the Supremes' "You Keep Me Hanging On" and Paula Yates doing "These Boots Are Made For Walking!"
  • BasilRathbonBasilRathbon Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At least it wasn't this Gary Glitter song, which once sounded harmless but whose title and lyrics took on a much more sinister context after his conviction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYiH_DhB8k
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can mention the name Gary Glitter, nothing bad will happen (unlike saying Candyman three times in a mirror).

I'll give this post a 9/10 on the hand-wringing scale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sad that I even know this, but none of the "classic" Gary Glitter hits actually feature the Glitter Band, who were put together specifically for TV appearances and touring. The records themselves, including "Rock & Roll", were performed solely by (multi-instrumentalist & producer) Mike Leander with Glitter himself, though the Glitter Band did of course perform on their own records (also produced by Leander.)

The first time Gary & the Glitter Band appeared together on a studio record was for the 1982 British Electric Foundation (AKA Heaven 17) album "Music Of Quality & Distinction Volume 1", where they did a cover of Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" - the album also features Bernie Nolan covering the Supremes' "You Keep Me Hanging On" and Paula Yates doing "These Boots Are Made For Walking!"

You are right and I am definitely not an expert on Gary Glitter. When I saw him play it seemed to be with the band I saw on TV which is why I thought they must have played. I did buy some of the singles and I guess it still means that Mike Leander's work gets neglected.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    Indeed and what about the world of film; Roman Polanski's films haven't been banned as far as I know.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't buy it. Not for moral reasons. Just taste.