Options

DVD Players / VCR's

That's simply a marketing strategy with the goal of selling more DVD players.

The real replacement for VCR is either digital VCR (D-VHS) or DVD-R. It's difficult to say which one will be more succesful. Currently D-VHS has three main advantages:
- They already are in the shops
- They are cheaper than DVD-R
- They have a digital input, DVD-R don't
But of course this advantages could vanish very fast with the second DVD-R generation

Comments

• Options
    compunightmarecompunightmare Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please could someone explain to me why DVD players are being marketed as a replacement for VCR's ?.

Maybe I'm a bit thick, but DVD players do exactly that, they PLAY... whilst VCR's do exactly as their name suggests, they RECORD... but also PLAY !.

When DVD players become DVD recorders then I might get sucked into the marketing hype. Until then, for me at least, the VCR still rules.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    But won't there be 2 rival Recordable DVD formats? which will hinder its success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MusicFreak.... Thanks for that !. I would have to agree that there is a lot of marketing hype involved, but surely people aren't that dim as to fall for it ?. Who currently markets D-VHS in the UK, what kind of price... know of any websites where I may find further info ?. Thanks again !.

TVman... Grateful for your input too !. When will recordable DVD formats be available ?. Again, any sites I might be able to check out regarding this ?.

On a personal note, surely the technology already, and has for some time existed with regard to a recordable DVD format. It would seem to make sense that the manufacturers of DVD players want the consumer to spend millions on the current product, and then once they release a recordable format, spend millions more. A cynical view I admit, but probably close to the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To the best of my knowledge it is only JVC that are currently selling DVHS in the UK, you may be able to find out more information from their website. A DVHS machine can record at broadcast quality. It will also be able to use all your current tapes, but without any improvement in Picture quality. it can also provide a huge amount of recording time.
    The first recordable DVD player is set for a September release. SO you may want to check out Pioneer's website with regards to this machine, that has already been on retail in Japan for quite sometime.
    I wouldn't advise buying into either format just yet. Wait about 3 years. by which time both formats will be fully sussed.
    I'd stick with your VCR for now, if you're happy with it. And possibly buy a budget DVD player. Because the quality is absolutely stunning on DVD. And the playing technology is fully sussed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for that TVman... I'll check those websites for further info.

I would quite like to keep up to date with all this new technology, however, I think that your advice to stick with my VCR for now is good advice.

I'm actually looking to replace my VCR in the next few weeks and have noticed that the price of nicam VCR's has dropped considerably during the past several months.

Again, thanks.... Much appreciated !.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you have the money you should buy the top of the range Sony. I can't remember its model number, but it produces excellent images, wonderful sound, and it has amazing build quality, it will surely last you a long time. THe only draw back is it costs £399.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by compunightmare:
    Who currently markets D-VHS in the UK, what kind of price...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    JVC HM-DR 10000 --> about £1000
    Philips VR 20 D --> about £1000

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TVman:
    But won't there be 2 rival Recordable DVD formats? which will hinder its success.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, it's 3 different formats!
    Pioneer has chosen the DVD-RW format. Panasonic, Hitachi and Toshiba have chosen the DVD-RAM format and Philips prefers DVD+RW. It's quite confusing, isn't ist?

Two DVD recorders will be available in the UK later this year:
    - Pioneer DVR-1000: DVD-RW format, about £1500
    -Panasonic DMR-E10: DVD-RAM format, about £1500

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TVman:
    I'd stick with your VCR for now, if you're happy with it
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I agree. £1500 is certainly too expensive. Prices will fall in maybe 1-2 years.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou MusicFreak :)

Now I'm definately sticking with my VCR for the time being.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I checked out the JVC web site (US - except they call it global) and their D-VHS recorders were $999 and $949 respectively.
    There were no prices on the UK site, but the prices tend to translate almost directly from $ to £, so expect to pay c£1,000
    I think I'm with the guy who started this dicussion. Why go DVD until you can record. For a start, how are you going to wire up the TV when you have a VCR, DVD player and a Sky Digibox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to add that I think the whole situation with regard to D-VHS machines costing around £1000, and DVD-R machines expected at around £1500 is absolutely crazy.

I do not beleive for one moment that the above price examples reflect manufacturing costs in any way.

Technology is becoming more affordable every day and I think that the prices quoted in this discussion thread reflect only CORPORATE GREED !.

Kind regards,
    Craig.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Haddock:
    Why go DVD until you can record. For a start, how are you going to wire up the TV when you have a VCR, DVD player and a Sky Digibox.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's a good question. I hope that
    a) the new generation of Sky Digiboxes (TiVo)will have a digital video output (IEEE 1394)
    b) the second generation of DVD-R will have a digital video input (IEEE 1394).
    This way it would be possible to record a movie from Sky digitally on DVD and I wouldn't mind paying £1500 for such a feature. HOWEVER: The two DVD-R machines that will be available in the UK later this year will NOT have a digital video input. I am certainly not paying £1500 for an analogue recordable.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by compunightmare:
    I have to add that I think the whole situation with regard to D-VHS machines costing around £1000, and DVD-R machines expected at around £1500 is absolutely crazy.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I agree. But you must take into consideration that this machines are not produced in a very large number (compared to normal DVD-players). When this machines go into mass production, prices will fall drastically. Just remember the price of the first CD-player 20 years ago, I think it was something like £2000. Nowadays the prices are 10 times lower. The same will happen with DVD-R and D-VHS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm. Personally (and I'm sticking my neck out for flames with this one) I don't think DVD Recordable will be a success. It will be more of a success than the laughable mess that is DVHS though. To replace VHS as a recordable medium something must offer more than just increased quality - that'll attract the early adopters but it wasn't enough for laserdisc or SVHS to take off in the marketplace.

DVHS offers increased quality but at a ridiculous cost and no other advantages. DVDR offers random access and the like, better quality but not much space on the media and again a ridiculous cost.

The one that I think will be a success is flourescent multi-layer discs - these discs have around 10 recordable layers and are as cheap to manufacture as blank CDs, very easily re-recordable, and when manufactured in bulk the player/recorders are as cheap as CD-R drives.

I'm writing an article for dvdnews on them so keep your eyes peeled there, but basically they have the advantages of DVHS (huge quantity of data storable, easily re-writable) and the advantages of DVD (random access etc) but the disadvantages of neither.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flourescent multi-layer discs?
    Hmmmm. It will take many years before this technology will be ready for mass production...
  • Options
    Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not. From what I've heard the format is almost ready for use.

If you're willing to come down to Earls Court in London late September, visit the Live 2000 event where the above technology is rumoured to be shown.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Dear Craig, you could not have possibly seen a demo of DVD agianst VHS of the same movie. I can only describe VHS as watching a dodgy copy of the latest release bought from the local outdoor market. The picture quality of DVD is simply outstanding.
    The question you have to ask yourself Craig is,
    1) How many films do I buy or rent
    2)How many recordings do I actually make
    3) Would I like to watch the latest cinema releases in the comfort of home (thanks to imports from the States)
    4) Would I be interested in knowing how the film was made
    5) Would I be better off buying a new VCR for £200 only for it to be out of date in 2 years time, and the spend another £200 on DVD-R .

Believe me Craig you would be much better to buy into DVD.
    For as little as £150 you can buy a DVD player from your local Comet store that will play all region discs (i.e. from the States) enhance your viewing pleasure and save yourself a fortune by not going to your local multiplex. DVD recorders are coming make no doubt about that. initially the price will be high, but so it was when DVD was introduced, and look at the prices now!!!
    If your VCR is still working keep using it and do yourself a favour and get a DVD player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments Fred :)

I don't usually post links folks... but the following is in relation to this topic so check it out...
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/s.roberts/record2.htm

Kind regards,
    Craig.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Or... what about TiVo?
    That'll be cheaper than DVHS or DVD-R

I'd also assume that when TiVo comes out here, that there will be no subscription attached to the system. People in the UK wouldn't want to pay a subscription for a souped up video recorder.

[This message has been edited by Paul Kerton X (edited 25 July 2000).]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately Tivo is being launched in the UK in conjunction with BSkyB so you can bet your life there will be some sort of subscription premium to use the system.
    Tivo is a brilliant system for time shift recording , but is not viable for a collection of your favourite movies due to a restriction of hard disk space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the new TiVo boxes will have a digital interface for saving the content of the hard disk on PC, DVD, D-VHS or whatever. Hughes Network Systems distributes a TiVo box for DirecTV with a D-VHS interface (USA only). Therefore obviously it is feasible from the technical point of view.

I wouldn't pay £1 for a TiVo box if it doesn't have such a facility. A box with a recording capacity of 10-15h without some kind of external (digital) interface doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I think its very unfair to refer to DVHS as a "laughable mess" surely this applies to recordable dvd with different and incompatible formats, and pathetically short recording lengths.

Whilst the Flourescent discs sound great I would have thought that if they have any commercial use it will be for distribution of films in a hi-def format for digital projection in the cinema. I cant see them becoming a consumer product in anything like the near future.

DVHS on the other hand is here, now and it works!

I bought my deck for £950 in April and its fantastic. Off air recordings generally look superb, but where the machine comes into its own is archiving a large collection of tapes.

The 4.7 mbps recording mode is perfectly adequate for copying VHS and SVHS recordings and by using Pro Grade SVHS E240s I can fit about 17.25 hours of material onto one tape. The digital recordings look pretty much identical to the original recordings (viewed on a 41 inch RPTV) and its a joy to be able to fit whole series onto one or two tapes.

For example all 38 episodes of Survivors onto 2 tapes, All 3 series of Cardiac Arrest onto another. You can even fit 42 episodes of Doctor Who onto a tap should you so wish.

Ok, you dont have instant access as you do with a disc based system, but because so much is packed onto the tape, the fast forward and rewind are extremely quick.

I'm now able to sell most of my VHS sell through collection, and indeed some of my off air recordings as I have them on DVHS, and am looking forward to buying a second machine for the bedroom.

Of course its not really a mass market product - but then again, no digital recording system is currently. I suspect we'll move towards hard disc for convenience (as it will be built into most set top boxes) and for those who want something more, that is available now, well DVHS seems to offer the best current solution.

Its horses for courses really - if you want to edit then get the superb DV format, if you want to archive your collection and make off air recordings to keep go with DVHS. If you want to timeshift either keep the humble standard VHS or get a hard disc when they come out. Either way it doesnt leave much room for recordable DVD - a system which seems inherently flawed and which I suspect will have to offer really low bit rates to give half decent storage...

Duncan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I think we can all assume (hope) that the TiVo will use either SCART or the COM port (which would be a slow as shit)
    What other ports could they use on the back of the SkyDigital and ONdigital boxes? (as it does work on both)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A IEEE 1394 port would be great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    It's best to forget all about recordable DVD until the standard is set once and for all
    (vhs/betamax again)As they say,time will tell.
    As for Live2000 I hope it's better than Live98.
  • Options
    Jose CardosoJose Cardoso Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live 2000 looks the business this time around. Looking at the latest info it looks like it'll be huge (much like it used to be in 1997 and earlier).

I don't think Live 98 was planned at all well with only Sky, ONdigital and Sony making any sort of effort.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, are many people here planning to go to Live 2000, and what days do you reckon would be good?

If I can get the time off work (or quit - which I may well do) then I'll likely be reporting live for the site from there at least for a couple of the days...anyone else going to be there?