Options

TV Licence bullies

Comments

• Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    thing is, this doesn't quite ring true with me.

up until now, i was under the impression that the presumption of innocence was a principle that was protected by legislation.
    As I've said before, the law is a complex, multi-layered system.

The formal "presumption of innocence" is protected by Article 6.2 of the ECHR, and modified by anti-terrorism legislation. (Not sure if there any modifications in PACE, so I will not claim that).

This less formal "reasonable suspicion" principle is not part of the ECHR as far as I can tell. It is part of PACE, though, and therefore applies to the Police under relevant circumstances. It also appears in the Search Warrant process in the 2003 Comms Act.

I conclude that because "TVL" do not have a right to enter premises and interview suspects, that there is no general requirement for "reasonable suspicion". The law is an ass, sometimes - but all the more reason to content that Article 8 is relevant.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think somewhere along the way you're still missing my point, in that as long as no-one is actually being accused of anything, then the principle holds.

i think i asked you whether or not you would argue that tvl visiting someone actually involves anyone being accused of anything?

which, IIRC, may be where you replied before about how some people may think it feels like that.

in which case i'm sorry - but someone feeling like that isn't actually the same as actually being accused of anything.

Iain
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    PeterB wrote: »
    Daily Mail? Clearly this is not an issue otherwise it would surely be general knowledge.

Why would it?

How likely is it that something like this would enter the public domain?

If someone buys a licence they don't need then it seems reasonable to suppose they've done so under a mistaken belief that they do need one.

On the one hand they may continue in blissful ignorance or, on the other, if they discover their mistake then, due to embarrassment, they're hardly likely to shout it from the rooftops.

Are they?
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    I note that things are being regarded in isolation again
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which, IIRC, may be where you replied before about how some people may think it feels like that.

in which case I'm sorry - but someone feeling like that isn't actually the same as actually being accused of anything.

If victim perception is good enough for the Police, I think it's good enough for this case.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    EVERY visit by a TVL inspector I know of, or have read of, the inspector has not informed the householder they can refuse entry.

That's funny, every time I have ever been stopped for speeding the policeman has not informed me that I need not answer his questions, apart from name and car owner's name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    This is a train of discussion that I don't think you have been involved in.

For reasons unknown, certain posters were making the assertion (strawman?) that the use of the principle of the "presumption of innocence" in the context of "TVL" was not only fatally undermined if any other agency did not have to respect the principle (by law), but also individuals who accepted that the principle could vary between cases were somehow manipulating the principle for debating advantage... or something similar.

If you read #2263-6, #2269, #2271, #2275, #2278, #2291, and the final explanation of the Freedom of Speech analogy at the end of #2295... it should become clearer.

So how does any of that affect the fact that you have no freedom of speech rights on a website?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said before, the law is a complex, multi-layered system.

The formal "presumption of innocence" is protected by Article 6.2 of the ECHR, and modified by anti-terrorism legislation. (Not sure if there any modifications in PACE, so I will not claim that).

This less formal "reasonable suspicion" principle is not part of the ECHR as far as I can tell. It is part of PACE, though, and therefore applies to the Police under relevant circumstances. It also appears in the Search Warrant process in the 2003 Comms Act.

I conclude that because "TVL" do not have a right to enter premises and interview suspects, that there is no general requirement for "reasonable suspicion". The law is an ass, sometimes - but all the more reason to content that Article 8 is relevant.

That is nothing to do with Presumption Of Innocence. Even if you suspect someone is guilty, and you have lots of evidence, witnesses etc that person is still Presumed Innocent.

You can be formally accused of murder, but you are still presumed innocent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think somewhere along the way you're still missing my point, in that as long as no-one is actually being accused of anything, then the principle holds.
    I thought your point was that it couldn't be much of a principle if we let mere legislators mess about with it? Since I disagree with that, I'm happy that you want to move on.
    i think i asked you whether or not you would argue that tvl visiting someone actually involves anyone being accused of anything?
    It's easy for these threads to become a confusing mess of misunderstanding piled on top of vagueness. There are a number of different scenarios under which "TVL" visit people...

1) People who invoke common law:
    TVL letter-Common Law letter-Confirmation-Visit only if reasonable suspicion

that means that by executing common law remedies, in addition to other benefits, you also enforce the need for there to be reasonable suspicion before "TVL" engage.
    2) No Contact solution:
    TVL Letter-TVL Letter-TVL Letter indefinitely-Search Warrant only if reasonable suspicion

again, by using common law rights directly, we get engagement from "TVL" only if there is reasonable suspicion
    3) Compliance / no reasonable suspicion
    TVL Letter - Claim of licence free status - Confirmation and counter claim for home visit - home visit with no evidence

In this case, the citizen has already stated their innocence in writing. When "TVL" challenge that directly, with no evidence, it's effectively accusing the citizen of lying, and it means that a licence free citizen, complying with "TVL" has fewer rights than someone stopped & searched in the street by the Police.
    4) Compliance - visit with reasonable suspicion
    This would be acceptable.
    So, once again, we see that there is no benefit from compliance, because those that enforce their common law rights get access to a further right that "TVL" would otherwise seek to deny them.

in which case i'm sorry - but someone feeling like that isn't actually the same as actually being accused of anything.
    What people feel, what they fear, what they expect - all of those things will drive their level of resistance or compliance, and their feeling of being exploited when they learn the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    That is nothing to do with Presumption Of Innocence. Even if you suspect someone is guilty, and you have lots of evidence, witnesses etc that person is still Presumed Innocent.

You can be formally accused of murder, but you are still presumed innocent.
    I agree - which is why I have now split the concept into "presumption of innocence" and "reasonable suspicion".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how does any of that affect the fact that you have no freedom of speech rights on a website?
    It was never about that.
  • Options
    u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    What people feel, what they fear, what they expect - all of those things will drive their level of resistance or compliance, and their feeling of being exploited when they learn the truth.

and?

As Iain said

Or perhaps most reasonable people can figure out why they are being asked the questions.

I think you underestimate people.

Perhaps, this is more about the individuals concerned rather than TVL. Just like your woman example.

What percentage object? Try not to answer with "ones too many".
  • Options
    u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    I agree - which is why I have now split the concept into "presumption of innocence" and "reasonable suspicion".

I could argue there is no reasonable suspicion to believe I am a terrorist or that I fiddle my meter readings, tax etc etc.. They still check however....and I don't object.

Yet they all still presume innocence. Just like TVL.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    mRebel wrote: »
    And I'd be happy to help TVL, including allowing inspectors into my home, if only they'd ask politely, as you normally do if asking a favour of someone. But while they persist with their "action required" etc type of letter I refuse to communicate with them.
    Well, is "action required" or not? If yes, then what's the problem? If no then tell them that anyway.

What you are doing is usually called cutting of one's nose to spite one's face :)
    No. If you read my post, you'll see that I am satisfied that Carl.Waring is convinced there is a need.
    I am not satisfied by any of your arguments, so .... a need for what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not satisfied by any of your arguments, so .... a need for what?
    You believe that there is a (legal?) need for "TVL" to innocent investigate people who claim not to require a licence?

Throughout all of these threads, many thousands of posts have failed to prove that. My view is that it is because it isn't true.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    You believe that there is a (legal?) need for "TVL" to innocent investigate people who claim not to require a licence?
    When did I say that, exactly? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was never about that.

So why did you say "Freedom of Speech is another of these broad legal/moral principles. When people post here they are taking advantage of that, but there are many limitations on what they can post."?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did I say that, exactly? :confused:

You said that my statement should have read:-
    "People should weigh up the benefit of allowing TVL into their home to sort out an issue of complying with the law against the small risk of a rogue agent stealing from them or trying to make false charges..."
    Seems a pretty straightforward question: do you believe that "TVL" have a legal/moral/other justification for investigating people against whom there is no reasonable suspicion of an offence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why did you say "Freedom of Speech is another of these broad legal/moral principles. When people post here they are taking advantage of that, but there are many limitations on what they can post."?
    As I've already explained, this was an analogy to demonstrate that these broad principles are not cast in stone, but are necessarily open to modification.

It was never intended to be an opening to a debate on freedom of speech - sorry if that's disappointing to you.

My last word on this, as it is OT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They were never together in the first place. :rolleyes:

From Magna Carta we have had Presumption of Innocence happily existing alongside the right of the state to investigate, arrest, hold and question a person.

They have never been mutually exclusive.

Why did you ever think they were? Why did you think they needed to be "split"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've already explained, this was an analogy to demonstrate that these broad principles are not cast in stone, but are necessarily open to modification.

My last word on this, as it is OT.

How many times have you done this now? Bring up something because you think it supports you but as soon as it is shown not to you suddenly declare it "irrelevant" or "OT"?

DVLA, PACE, the Liberty website....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were never together in the first place. :rolleyes:
    They were in terms of the previous discussion here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many times have you done this now? Bring up something because you think it supports you but as soon as it is shown not to you suddenly declare it "irrelevant" or "OT"?

DVLA, PACE, the Liberty website....
    Is it ever going to be possible to make a post here in good faith, or is the accusation of underhand behaviour always sure to follow?

What would you like to say about Freedom of Speech that is relevant to whether "TVL" are bullies or not?

The floor is yours...
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CAB say that people on benefits typically have no money, for any non essential goods or services?

really?

Iain

Don't play games, it just maked you look silly.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its certainly appropriate when the argument (as it often is) is reduced to it being unfair to contribute towards something you don't use.

Iain

But not when that argument isn't used.
This discussion has been closed.