Top Gear

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't they have just built a bridge in Scotland?
    Looking at one of the stopover scenes I was wondering just how ling the camera would linger over the shiny can of Sprite, turned for the name to fully show, beside May's hand.
    Coca cola must be quite chuffed.
    And if that was one of the more blatant placements, then just how many others were there?

I must admit I find it rather amusing that someone should be worrying about the brand name of a can of soft drink, costing very little, being visible whilst apparently not concerned with the makers' names of the three truck being prominently displayed on the front of them as well as most Top Gear programmes revolving around the names of various very highly priced cars.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at one of the stopover scenes I was wondering just how ling the camera would linger over the shiny can of Sprite, turned for the name to fully show, beside May's hand.
    And if that was one of the more blatant placements, then just how many others were there?

Just watched the repeat and if it was product placement it didn't work --- I think sprite comes in a green can but that one was orange and actually called Sinkist :)

I expect it was local and showing the name was part of the fun :)
  • darrenhoskerdarrenhosker Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Did anyone notice the steel girders under the bamboo on the bridge in one of the shots, it was just before they crossed the bridge. They were burgundy in colour and like a lattice steel work. The bamboo covered it from the sides and looks like it was just placed on top of the steel.

I would imagine the bridge was pre-made as a temporary structure and they would have erected it and covered it with bamboo for the final shots.

I would also find it very hard to imagine them doing most things on film, i'm almost certain they would never stay anywhere other than a top hotel somewhere. And I doubt they were involved in a lot of construction or that it took so many days for them to build it.

But it is entertaining and that's all they set out to achieve. You don't always need to know everything behind it. Take it with a pinch of salt.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    There is to be a special devoted to it.

Yeah - if I remember rightly they said they'd do a special around June/July time. This begs the question as to whether there will be a series then and if not when it will return?
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    Just watched the repeat and if it was product placement it didn't work --- I think sprite comes in a green can but that one was orange and actually called Sinkist :)

I expect it was local and showing the name was part of the fun :)

Oops, my mistake.:blush::blush:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Was okay...so far not the most intriguing country they've been to, but it's still enjoyable enough. I liked a few of the photogenic stops they made and was surprised to see that the vehicle introduction/modification scenes were so swift - considering that I perhaps wondered if it was dragging a little bit.

It had sunsets, but they saw better sunsets in Botswana. It had jungles, but there were better ones in Bolivia. It had crazy, crowded urban streets but so too did India. It had peculiar villages in the middle of nowhere, but so too did Vietnam. It had impressive landscapes but so did Tanzania. It's like a 'best bits' so far, which isn't a good or bad thing necessarily...it just hasn't really had its own strong identity yet.
    I felt the same. It was like a compliation episode of previous specials. Take a bit from here and that bit from there etc.

I also didn't think the building of the bridge was that exciting. There were some good bits like May almost being hit and Hammond floating off down the river.

Another thing I thought was a shame was that they didn't show inside of the British hotel (Belmont?). I think it would have been interesting to see what it was like as a remnant of the Empire.
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    This was really far too drawn out. Part two was another 60 minutes of the same scenery (beautiful as it was) and then the nonsense at the end with the River Cock - please stop insulting our intelligence.
    As they say, a joke is a joke but bugger a Pantomime. 90 minutes at the very max, would have been ideal for this two-parter and the editors should have been more attentive to their job and not lazy, like this finished product ended up.
    It's childish and silly and I have no problem with that but they are beating it to death.
    Red Cock, Black Cock, River Kok. I don't was cock rammed down my throat!
    Forum Member
    It was Sunkist. I was suprised that it's still being made. I'd like to see the sell by dates on the cans :D
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the special quite boring.

By far one of the worst episodes very few new ideas just the usual trip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they actually built the full bridge did they?
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No need to be Sarky!
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was one for RS components at the same time (an aerosol of some sort)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Some say Top Gear is the natural home for aerosols. ;)
  • stackmanstackman Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else catch the running joke where the presenters are wearing clothes with the labels still attached. Its as if they have bought it from a shop and intend to return it for a refund after wearing it or that they are trying to save licence payers funds by borrowing the clothes from the store.

Clarkson's outfit at the party had the tags still attached and I've seen this in the cycling feature a few weeks ago and in a previous series when they were testing cars like the Aerial Atom and Morgan 3 wheeler.

Obviously an in-joke among the crew.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not great was my opinion. However those stunts were very well done and they scared me, particularly when they ended up in the river.

There was no way that a bamboo bridge was going to take the weight of those trucks. Yes all of that horizontal, non structral, bamboo was hiding a steel bridge.

Sometimes I find these adventures rather annoying and this was one of them. Still better than most tv though.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, why would you think otherwise? :confused: Well, them and the half-dozen locals Clarkson managed to persuade to help. Good job they knew what to do ! Why they didn't just get a professional firm in though to assist I don't know. Probably caving to Daily Mail pressure not to squander the license fee.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Of course, why would you think otherwise? :confused: Well, them and the half-dozen locals Clarkson managed to persuade to help. Good job they knew what to do ! Why they didn't just get a professional firm in though to assist I don't know. Probably caving to Daily Mail pressure not to squander the license fee.

Maybe the locals were a professional Bridge building company -- or at least what passes for one in Burma :)
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    stackman wrote: »
    Does anyone else catch the running joke where the presenters are wearing clothes with the labels still attached. Its as if they have bought it from a shop and intend to return it for a refund after wearing it or that they are trying to save licence payers funds by borrowing the clothes from the store.

Clarkson's outfit at the party had the tags still attached and I've seen this in the cycling feature a few weeks ago and in a previous series when they were testing cars like the Aerial Atom and Morgan 3 wheeler.

Obviously an in-joke among the crew.

The labels on clothes goes back years, the North Pole trip they had the price labels on the clothes.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    My only complaint about the special was it was too long. It should and could have been edited down easily to 1 hour 30 mins. However, I just think they don't bother because by bloating it out over two weeks they save having to make another TG episode so save on a lot of costs to film it.

They need to cut that out, it's typical of the BBC. If they want to save money sack Nikki Campbell or Victoria Derbyshire, they could save nearly a million a year getting rid of those two.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    After watching the first part and getting bored by it I decided not to bother with part 2. I like the normal series format but this two week special just made me basically finish watching the series two weeks early.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    After watching the first part and getting bored by it I decided not to bother with part 2. I like the normal series format but this two week special just made me basically finish watching the series two weeks early.

Just to show I'm not one of those people that only watches TG to complain about it, part 2 was a big improvement on part 1. I'm glad I didn't give up on it.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    My only complaint about the special was it was too long. It should and could have been edited down easily to 1 hour 30 mins. However, I just think they don't bother because by bloating it out over two weeks they save having to make another TG episode so save on a lot of costs to film it.

They need to cut that out, it's typical of the BBC. If they want to save money sack Nikki Campbell or Victoria Derbyshire, they could save nearly a million a year getting rid of those two.

They've probably saved money by running it as two separate episodes actually.

All the footage would have been shot already so there's no real extra cost there at all.

Now, if it ran as a 90 minute special there WOULD be an extra cost as you'd need another programme to replace it in the week that it wasn't on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole episode seemed pointless. The bridge bit at the end seemed stupid.

I'd go as far as saying it was one of the worst Top gear specials ever made.
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    They've probably saved money by running it as two separate episodes actually.

All the footage would have been shot already so there's no real extra cost there at all.

Now, if it ran as a 90 minute special there WOULD be an extra cost as you'd need another programme to replace it in the week that it wasn't on.
    The beeb have plenty of wildlife docs they can show on a lazy Sunday night.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I see this ( Somi Guha) sad unknown is trying to make a big issue about the "slope" comment re the bridge, bit sad realy as I don't think any racism was intended at all. Some people look for any excuse to complain and she is being backed by just about every ethnic group you can think of which makes it worse. Pathetic !
    Before the mob attack me, I am not racist in any shape or form but a normal guy who doesn't take life too seriously.
This discussion has been closed.