Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    .....hello? hello? anybody here?

I wish there was!!! :cry:
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    All i can say at the moment is watch this space!!! ;)
    Still watching...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump an old thread guys...

Thought it might be of interest, but not only is there a 10 volume DVD boxset series (each containing 5 discs with 4 games each) of classic premier league matches up until 2003-04-so a total of 200 matches, iTunes also has classic matches collections from 2002-03 to 2013-14 with around 10 games from each season...so taking off the 2002-03 and 2003-04 from the DVD boxset, you're looking at an extra 100. Each 25 minutes long, and great to dip into if you want something to watch.

The topic of dubbing is one that interests me. It always bugged me watching these matches as to whether they are dubbed or not. The recent ones are definitely from the world feed because I could remember the same commentary from watching on a stream, plus there's co commentators. Some matches in the collection are definitely dubbed-for example during a game between Leeds and Newcastle in 1999, Jon Champion stated "McClen....now of Kidderminster Harriers." A look up of Newcastle's Jamie McClen on Wikipedia indicated he played for Kidderminster between 2006 and 2007. So unless the game was commentated on live by a time travelling Jon Champion., well...... Furthermore, unless Mr Champion managed to be at two games that kicked off simultaneously on the final day of the 2004-05 season, we can safely assume that one of those was dubbed too.
    But on the other hand, when you watch highlights of a (very good) game between two mid table teams from 1998, the commentator will often mention a detail that you think surely he couldn't have researched that 8 or so years afterwards, or remembered it,? He'll say something like "Wimbledon were at the training ground until 2AM practising their free kick routines"-doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd hear from a dubbed commentary. I guess some are dubbed years in advance, some were dubbed shortly afterwards and some are from the World Feed? At the end of Newcastle 4-3 Man Utd from 2001, Martin Tyler says "on behalf of a world wide audience, thank you!"

Incidentally, how long has the world feed been going for? I mean I doubt there was live coverage of every Premier League match in the 90s, well definitely not online.

It's good that BT Sport are still showing Classic PL games...hopefully they put a bit more classic stuff into their schedule, if not there definitely should be an ESPN Classic style channel.
  • KollKoll Posts: 3,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else really miss this channel? Whether it was watching a classic cup final, a documentary on José Mourinho, or just a 5 minute clip of George Best scoring 6 goals against Northampton Town...I always found something to watch and it was the perfect channel to flick over to if you couldn't find anything else on. This is sad...I wish it could be brought back. Sky just continues to get worse and worse.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It went downhill once they lost the rights to show content from the BBC archive. It was a great channel in it's early years.
  • ArchieArchivistArchieArchivist Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    By the way, full credit to BT Sport for showing highlights of over 30 FA Cup finals in original BBC and ITV commentary this month.

While some of the games mirrored the competition's sad decline in recent times, it was marvelous to hear Brian Moore, Barry Davies, John Motson, Clive Tyldesley and Martin Tyler on the programmes themselves. Most of the finals were 25-minute cuts in correct aspect ratio with original commentary and superimposed BT scorecards. A professional effort - and a superior one to even their Champions League classics series which contained a number of dubbed commentaries.

Well done BT. More of this kind of thing, please.

Archie.
  • Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT could quite easily fill a lot of time with classic action. It appears they have a good relationship with the BBC, they could possibly come to some agreement over classic rights.

Sky have enough of their own to virtually have a classic channel. Instead they just churn out the same repeats over and over again. The cricket filler has been dire this winter.
    They've 4 South Africa tours in their locker and all we get are the same ashes programmes
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    BT could quite easily fill a lot of time with classic action. It appears they have a good relationship with the BBC, they could possibly come to some agreement over classic rights.

Sky have enough of their own to virtually have a classic channel. Instead they just churn out the same repeats over and over again. The cricket filler has been dire this winter.
    They've 4 South Africa tours in their locker and all we get are the same ashes programmes

Neil no idea if you seen much overseas cricket overnight but they been showing some classic games from the past relevant to the teams during lunch breaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Neil no idea if you seen much overseas cricket overnight but they been showing some classic games from the past relevant to the teams during lunch breaks.

I haven't this year. That's good to hear, they have such a vast archive to choose from.

The NatWest final from 2005 is on AGAIN at 11. Not relevant to anything.
    How about showing the SA v ENG test when England were 2/4 instead?
    Forum Member
    Classic matches from the Match of the Day archive are to get an airing in a new series starting on BT Sport 1 on Monday week, April 25.

Classic MOTD - Thrillers is a series of 25-minute highlights of classic matches starting with Spurs v. Manchester United from 1965/66 season.

Games included in the first week of programmes (I'm not sure if it goes into a second week) include Chelsea v. Leeds from 1969/70, Leeds v. Southampton from 1971/72, and Manchester City v. Liverpool from 1981/82.

Archie.
    Forum Member
    After the short but excellent MOTD - Thrillers series that BT Sport curated from the BBC archives recently, they are now going one better in anticipation of Euro 2016 by showing 31 one-hour highlights programmes of matches from Euro 96.

Each programme features a match from the tournament in England played 20 years ago this summer. As there were 31 matches in that tournament, it seems that every single game will be featured.

Let's hope they'll do it justice by sourcing original BBC commentary. That should be a given seeing as they've used the BBC archive for FA Cup final classics recently as well.

Archie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Archie.

This is a fantastic idea. Do you know when they start?
    We have 22 days until Euro 2016, so more than 1 a day. Hope its in some sort of logical order.

With their schedule so light in the summer I wonder if they'll do similar with the Olympics.
    Forum Member
    They start on Monday week, Neil, with the opening four matches of the tournament - England v. Switzerland, Spain v. Bulgaria, Germany v. Czech Republic, and Portugal v. Denmark. There will be either three or four matches a night - it ends on June 7.

It's a great idea, and a fantastic use of the archive - providing the commentary is original. ;-)

Archie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They start on Monday week, Neil, with the opening four matches of the tournament - England v. Switzerland, Spain v. Bulgaria, Germany v. Czech Republic, and Portugal v. Denmark. There will be either three or four matches a night - it ends on June 7.

It's a great idea, and a fantastic use of the archive - providing the commentary is original. ;-)

Archie.

Excellent, cheers
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the short but excellent MOTD - Thrillers series that BT Sport curated from the BBC archives recently, they are now going one better in anticipation of Euro 2016 by showing 31 one-hour highlights programmes of matches from Euro 96.

Each programme features a match from the tournament in England played 20 years ago this summer. As there were 31 matches in that tournament, it seems that every single game will be featured.

Let's hope they'll do it justice by sourcing original BBC commentary. That should be a given seeing as they've used the BBC archive for FA Cup final classics recently as well.

Archie.

They should edit the England v Germany highlights so *spoiler alert* Gazza reaches Shearer's cross in extra time and taps in the winner. Had he eaten one less pie at any stage during his career he'd have got there......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Archie.

1st game has the original ITV commentary. Brian Moore & Kevin Keegan
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    They should edit the England v Germany highlights so *spoiler alert* Gazza reaches Shearer's cross in extra time and taps in the winner.

I seem to recall ITV actually doing that with computer trickery for a promo for a previous Euros or World Cup.
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to be fantastic! The games are half the story, it's important they have the original commentators too. The original graphics would be the icing on the cake but no biggie.
  • scurryscurry Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I'm recording the BT Sport 1 versions where possible so it's full screen rather than having the BT Sport Europe news tickers taking up half be screen.
    Forum Member
    Wonderful series. Kudos to BT for sourcing the original commentary.

Archie.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful series. Kudos to BT for sourcing the original commentary.

Archie.

Only ITV though? They don't seem to have BBC commentary.
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st game has the original ITV commentary. Brian Moore & Kevin Keegan

actually I think Ron Atkinson not keegan did the summarizing in that england switzerland match
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    actually I think Ron Atkinson not keegan did the summarizing in that england switzerland match

No was definety Keegan
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    No was definety Keegan

but one website has atkinson as the summarizer