Lord Mayor's Show - utterly pointless

hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would someone please enlighten me as to the point of nationally televising the Lord Mayor's Show in London?

A parade of floats covered in advertising logos and slogans, to celebrate the inauguration of a man who serves one square mile of space in London.

What a piece of worthless fluff!

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hardylane wrote: »
    Would someone please enlighten me as to the point of nationally televising the Lord Mayor's Show in London?

A parade of floats covered in advertising logos and slogans, to celebrate the inauguration of a man who serves one square mile of space in London.

It's probably all for charidee!!!
  • jenailsajenailsa Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw. Bah humbug. I am enjoying seeing it. Just a splash of colour on a damp day and giving folk some pleasure.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then show a movie or something...

They do this kind of thing all over the country... it's nothing special, and only serves a very small part of the country. Pointless.

What a waste of two presenters and a big live OB rig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I do see your point but London is our capital city. We have a parade in Belfast too but nothing like this scale. I find it interesting. Nice to see parts of London too. . . must grab a city break again soon.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have quite a good little carnival in our village every October, its way better than this.

I guess its just tradition, first time ive ever watched it today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pride march in Manchester isn't covered like this... is bigger and also raises money for charity.

In Aberdeen, they have a HUGE annual parade of floats for the students charities campaign too.

I'm not objecting to the parade, nor to the undoubtedly high motives of the event, but just the fact that it's a live broadcast by the BBC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Clare Balding is just terrific. She must be quite fit too. Running, interviewing, doing her research. Great girl.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    The Pride march in Manchester isn't covered like this... is bigger and also raises money for charity.

In Aberdeen, they have a HUGE annual parade of floats for the students charities campaign too.

I'm not objecting to the parade, nor to the undoubtedly high motives of the event, but just the fact that it's a live broadcast by the BBC

A few scene queens vs the Mayor of London.....hmm I can tell the difference
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair point I suppose. Maybe rather too long coverage on BBC on a Saturday morning. I'm enjoying it but point taken.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lmao that poor kid and the clown
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha anyone just see that awful Marco the clown? Made a poor boy cry, oh dear
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    A few scene queens vs the Mayor of London.....hmm I can tell the difference

Yes, one is full of life, fun and great costumes... the other is about pomp, privilege and the class system.

Jeez

Oh... hehehehe ... the random clown scared the kid! Best bit so far!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, one is full of life, fun and great costumes... the other is about pomp, privilege and the class system.

Jeez

Oh... hehehehe ... the random clown scared the kid! Best bit so far!

You are very naughty!
  • horsepillshorsepills Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Haha anyone just see that awful Marco the clown? Made a poor boy cry, oh dear

"VARIETY CLUB!! VARIETY CLUB!! HELLO! - I'M SCARY MARCO THE CLOWN......"

hilarious!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez is this "The Armed Forces Show" ???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez is this "The Armed Forces Show" ???

Funny that. You say it is all a waste of time but you carried on watching it. Did you have nothing better to do??:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct... it's called "car crash syndrome!"... and now, at midday, I'm off out...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm off to the shops now but I enjoyed that parade.
  • Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenailsa wrote: »
    Aw. Bah humbug. I am enjoying seeing it. Just a splash of colour on a damp day and giving folk some pleasure.

Exactly, it's a nice day out and brings people together. You'd think by the OP we were the only country that had parades :rolleyes:
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hardly
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member

Agreed. What's the national interest? It's of no interest to me living in the Midlands.

Ditto what other posters said about the appearance of the clown. It's the first time I've ever laughed at one's antics!
  • therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a depressing dreary show.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. What's the national interest? It's of no interest to me living in the Midlands.

Don't watch it then.

Watch something else.

"Turn Off The TV And Do Something Less Boring Instead"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why show the London MArathon its just a race, the World Cup is just a football match, the Olympics are just a sports day. A TV channel has to provide entertainment for all viewers. If you wish to have a channel full of programmes that just you like then I suggest you apply for the position as head of BBC1
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to see the cost of the OB compared to viewing figures, I know has been going on for a very long time. Personally I think I only ever watched it once.

http://www.lordmayorsshow.org/