Ipad or alternative recommendation?

muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am looking for a wireless medium sized portable gadget where I can pick up Wifi, drop onto the net, surf, email etc and read books and so on or play music and video from the confort of my sofa instead of up and downstaris to PC

I tired out a Tablet Archos which was useless and too small (sent it back)

The Ipod not sure its a bit on the expensive side and possibly a bit too big? The problem I had with the Archos was it wouldnot bluetooth to my blackberry or wifi to my router so it did nothing at all.

Or should I wait 4 weeks and go for an iphone, or continue with my blackerry and pick up a decent Tablet

Can you guys recommend what would be best to look at

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Methinks you might have bought that older Archos 7 cheap as chips interim device. Or something even older?

Most devices are WiFI finicky to some extent and almost always easily solved.
    I do not think Bluetooth is restricted on 2.0+ Android devices.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Methinks you might have bought that older Archos 7 cheap as chips interim device. Or something even older?

Most devices are WiFI finicky to some extent and almost always easily solved.

It was from a high street store archos 32a or something like and after two days of unsuccessful wifi or bluetooth connection I gave up and the support was poor and really it was too small. So was thinking of ipad but not sure if that's possibly too big and worried it won't wifi to my router given the trouble I had with the archos :-(
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ipad will connect with bluetooth only to a headset, it does not support file transfer as far as I know. It's a bit too big and a bit too expensive IMO. Being able to turn it on and off like a TV set is a plus, though. Maybe some of the new Android tablets?
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you checked out ASUS Eee PCs?
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of those, what on earth are they
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are netbooks. All tablets have many limitations.

I would avoid the Archos 70 or 43 then in that the same problem might exist for your connections. Unless firmwares are specifically updated.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archos did some earlier things that had WiFi but no bluetooth.

The Archos 605 (4.3" 800x480) and the Archos 705 (7" 800x480)

The 605 had 4GB(flash with slot for SD card) or 30GB (1.8" HDD) which were quite small (about 15mm thick, 80mm X 120mm) and could stream video/audio via WiFi and also (with extra software) a Web TV/Radio thingy.

Also 20/40/80/160GB Archos 605 but they were a lot heavier and thicker.

The 705 was of course a lot bigger with it's 7" screen.

2nd hand on Ebay a 605 4GB for £60. 30GB for £70. Archos 705 (unsure of capacity) about £80
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am wondering the same, i don't know whether to go for a ipad or one of the new android tablets that are coming out, i have a android phone and a ipod touch and think they are both great devices, but i think all the best apps still come out on the apple side, but then the ipad doe'snt support flash.

But it seems when ever you ask for advice on internet forums all people want to do is start arguments about ,well the ipad is crap, or well android is crap, and thats not telling me which one is right for me.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Never heard of those, what on earth are they

Google them. They're tiny little laptops. 10 inch widescreen, proper keyboard. Runs windows. Doesn't have the ' cool ' factor, but does so much more than any tab does.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad does sound like what you're after. It does everything you're looking for but does have the limitations of no flash support and the user interface is a bit crappy for 'proper work'. But if you're just using it to browse in bed or whatever its not a bad choice - even better with the new iOS4.2 release.

However if you're going to find not being able to browse flash sites or restricted by not having a proper keyboard then you might be better with a small netbook. They're not quite as portable but do have greater flexibility.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The ipad is VERY expensive but its a great piece of kit IMO.

It just depends on what you want it for.

I have a main computer, a mac, a laptop, iphone, netbook and now an ipad. Im a bit of a freak for gadgets, all are at different stages in terms of being modern etc but i would say ive got a helluva lot of use out of the ipad already despite not having had it for long.

Its not a computer replacement but at the moment i use it for -

email
    surfing
    betting
    reading books/newspapers/magazines
    the odd game
    watching movies
    watching sky sports via the sky app
    watching tv through tvcatchup

I have it sitting in a stand acting as a clock/alarm when its not in use. I also have the apps to allow me to access files on my computer, use it as a mini monitor for my computer and log me in lets me control my computer from it.

Thats only really scratching the surface.

Does that justify the price tag? Probably not. Will i get my monies-worth out of it? Definitely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll find the upcoming OS update makes it even better, Cantona... The lack of multi-app support in the original iPad did really make it limited and you'll wonder how you ever survived with it.
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    You'll find the upcoming OS update makes it even better, Cantona... The lack of multi-app support in the original iPad did really make it limited and you'll wonder how you ever survived with it.

When is that out? I havent actually updated it since i got it.

In practical terms what does it give you? I get the concept of the multi tasking but how would i use it?

I know that sounds breath-takingly stupid!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hah no its not stupid at all and its all down to how well its implemented as to how effective it is. But basically it means that your 'apps' won't shut down when you hit the 'home' button. So when you leave apps and go back into them again it will be in the same state as you left it. YouTube videos will stay in the same place, browsers wont need to reload pages etc... its far more effective on the iPad than on the iPhone in my opinion.

The release was supposed to be last week but apparently WiFi issues have delayed it. There's no current date but it should be here in the next couple of weeks. I've got a limited release beta version installed.
    Forum Member
    Hah no its not stupid at all and its all down to how well its implemented as to how effective it is. But basically it means that your 'apps' won't shut down just when you hit the 'home' button. So when you leave apps and go back into them again it will be in the same state as you left it. YouTube videos will stay in the same place, browsers wont need to reload pages etc... its far more effective on the iPad than on the iPhone in my opinion.

The release was supposed to be this week but apparently WiFi issues have delayed it. There's no current date but it should be here in the next couple of weeks. I've got a limited release beta version installed.

Ah i see what you mean, actually that would be really handy!

Im no Apple fanboi or anything and i tried to avoid the ipad for ages despite loving the iphone, tbh now that i have it i think its absolutely brilliant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Ah i see what you mean, actually that would be really handy!

Im no Apple fanboi or anything and i tried to avoid the ipad for ages despite loving the iphone, tbh now that i have it i think its absolutely brilliant!

Yeah, it is very useful especially for me as I like to pop in and out of apps all the time. It was always frustrating that if you just wanted to go check your mail or change a song playing that you couldn't pick up where you'd left off. Its much better now you can. People have said that this may cause it to become unresponsive due to memory limitations but I've not noticed any problem so far.... can't say I've noticed wireless issues either... there's also supposed to be a built in option to connect to network printers which is missing too.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it is very useful especially for me as I like to pop in and out of apps all the time. It was always frustrating that if you just wanted to go check your mail or change a song playing that you couldn't pick up where you'd left off. Its much better now you can. People have said that this may cause it to become unresponsive due to memory limitations but I've not noticed any problem so far.... can't say I've noticed wireless issues either... there's also supposed to be a built in option to connect to network printers which is missing too.

Ah right cool. The printer option wouldnt really be much use to me as its not really what i use it for however i could see why people would want it.

While it isnt and never will be a laptop, anything that crosses over and blurs the lines between the two may increase sales i guess.
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi cantona07 and irishguy,ive been following your posts tonight and i would just like to ask do you find not having flash a limitation or any sort of problem on the ipad,as not having flash is the only thing putting me off of buying a ipad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    akhenaten wrote: »
    hi cantona07 and irishguy,ive been following your posts tonight and i would just like to ask do you find not having flash a limitation or any sort of problem on the ipad,as not having flash is the only thing putting me off of buying a ipad.

Personally, for me its only an issue in one respect and thats in playing music. I love Grooveshark and its annoying not to be able to access it on the iPad.

Apart from that one aspect, I don't miss it. More and more video sites are using flash alternatives - YouTube, Vimeo, iPlayer etc.. and flash only web sites are generally frowned upon from an accessibility point of view so they are now less common. Not really into Flash games either.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... there's also supposed to be a built in option to connect to network printers which is missing too.
    Printing is working now if you can get 4.2.1 :)

It works amazingly well - it's very fast and no drivers to install etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it work in the same way as the printershare app?
    ie via a PC connected to the printer.

I think is for the iPhone plus Android.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool. Hadnt realised they'd released a new beta... seems strange when they're planning to release the actual version so soon. Off to download it now!
    Forum Member
    akhenaten wrote: »

It hasnt for me. However that is maybe more due to how i use it. There has been a couple of times when ive thought "ah damn" but really no more than that.

Its really down to personal useage to decide how much of an issue it is.

If it was my main device or only device i guess it would be a problem.
    Forum Member
    For the record its nice to see a thread about an apple product comparison that hasnt descended into "apple is great everything else is crap" or "apple is crap everything else is great". Makes a refreshing change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Or should I wait 4 weeks and go for an iphone, or continue with my blackberry and pick up a decent Tablet
    Or wait towards Feb/March when a far fuller range is out.

With larger size devices a dual core CULV netbook like the HP DM1 is always an option.
    At £300 on offer direct from HP it has plenty of advantages but with more bulk.