EE': Jake Wood talks Max's secret and Christmas drama

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
Forum Member
✭✭
Max's secret will be unveiled on Christmas Day when a scheming Derek (Jamie Foreman) ensures that his past returns to haunt him, just as he is planning to tie the knot with Tanya (Jo Joyner) again.

So Max isn't Kat's lover! When the mystery was running, did you hear from many fans who thought he was?
"Yes, an awful lot! I suppose that's no surprise given Max's history. Logically, it could have been any one of the Branning brothers with the way the story panned out - each of them had a reason to be with Kat.

"Having said that, I think it's great that this time it isn't Max. We've seen Max have affairs and be a bad boy, but given his behaviour over the last year and his commitment to Tanya through her cancer treatment, I think it's great that it's not Max on this occasion."

What can EastEnders fans expect from this year's Christmas episodes?
"I think everyone's in for a real treat - they're just fantastic episodes. Simon Ashdown is a master storyteller, and for me just reading the episodes was really exciting. I think the storylines have been beautifully mapped out over the past year, because there are going to be so many strands coming together at the same time. It's been really well planned."

Have you heard many fan theories over what Max's secret might be?
"Yes, there's lots of different things - there's been some wild guesses! That's great, though. The story has been going on since Max got back from Manchester, and it's remained a secret between him and Derek for all that time.

"I think when EastEnders does slow-burn storylines that play out for a long period of time, it really captures the public's imagination. That's certainly the case at the moment - it feels very exciting to be in the show and in the middle of it."

When were you told Max's secret?
"It's something that I've known for most of this year. There were only two or three other actors who knew - I think Jamie Foreman and Jo Joyner both did.

"When we started filming the episodes and could start telling other cast members, people were in shock. If that's the reaction from people who work on the show, hopefully it will have the same impact on the people who are watching at home."

Could this jeopardise Max and Tanya's relationship?
"Possibly! As we've seen, they've had their ups and downs. This could possibly put them under pressure, but we'll have to wait and see."

How do these episodes compare to the big Branning Christmas that we saw in 2007?
"I would say that these episodes are at least on a par with 2007, in terms of what I've read and the work that I've seen people do. Hopefully they can even surpass those, but who can say? We'll wait and see, but it's going to be huge."

How do you feel about Jamie Foreman's departure from the show?
"Jamie was such a pleasant guy to be around - he's a great actor and he played a great character. But the story arc had been mapped out for a year, and we always knew what it would be. We all knew what the conclusion would be, so it was no surprise when Jamie left, because that was always going to be the case when he joined.

"Although it wasn't a surprise, Jamie will be missed - both by the viewers and all the cast. But the events of Christmas will have huge repercussions, and in that sense, his presence will still be felt on that Square. The consequences of what happens will play out for a long, long time."

How does Max feel about Joey and Lauren's relationship?
"Max is surprisingly laid-back about that, I think. I was never sure how he'd react, as obviously Tanya knew for a long time before Max did. But all we've seen from Max so far is that he's incredibly supportive of Lauren. If Lauren is happy and settled, for him at the moment that's more important than anything else.

"Max is also aware of Derek's negative involvement, so if anything he wants to counteract that by being supportive. I don't think he's 100% happy about it, but if Lauren's happy and it goes against what Derek wants, then it's no bad thing."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/scoop/a446662/eastenders-jake-wood-talks-maxs-secret-and-christmas-drama.html#ixzz2FdxKSDAe
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "But the events of Christmas will have huge repercussions, and in that sense, his presence will still be felt on that Square. The consequences of what happens will play out for a long, long time."

Doesnt look like he's going to die of natural causes.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing Max and Lauren's secret in January is that Joey is responsible for Derek's death.

That's what strikes me about what he says about Max being very protective of Lauren's happiness. That will make him adamant to keep Joey around for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I'm guessing Max and Lauren's secret in January is that Joey is responsible for Derek's death.

That's what strikes me about what he says about Max being very protective of Lauren's happiness. That will make him adamant to keep Joey around for her.

He wants her to be happy, but later if he is aware that Joey is responsible he wouldn't want someone like that to be with his daughter. I would've thought Joey would stay away from Lauren too- knowing he's bad news.

What will Joey's motive be, if he did let him die or kill him?
    Hes got permission to be with Lauren so I wouldnt say it was to do with that
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wants her to be happy, but later if he is aware that Joey is responsible he wouldn't want someone like that to be with his daughter. I would've thought Joey would stay away from Lauren too- knowing he's bad news.

What will Joey's motive be, if he did let him die or kill him?
    Hes got permission to be with Lauren so I wouldnt say it was to do with that

No, the spoilers say Max, Jack and Joey throw Derek out of the house and then his death occurs sometime after this.

I'm not saying Joey goes off and deliberately kills Derek. But they somehow try to cover up the fact they all had any involvement and caused an accident. The spoilers say Max tries to get everyone's stories straight.

I don't think he'd blame Joey if it's a crime of passion, he more than everything knows what Derek is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They try to cover up the fact that they all had involvement, maybe yes
    But with him revealing a secret to Alice that leaves her reeling quite conceivably means their was further involvement on his part.
    Because if he's thrown out from Max's, everyone's present (alice included) so that's evident.
  • WiganUser1WiganUser1 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

If the secret is relating to Dereks death, it could be Lauren, n max witnessed it/found out, or visa versa