Silly things people believe about food.

Comments

• lukeskywalker1lukeskywalker1 Posts: 1,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are people buying these chickens covered in hair and foreign objects? Sounds like someone's been playing football with them :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Jo09 wrote: »
    To remove foreign objects, dust, dirt, hair etc. Can't remove that by cooking wouldn't want to eat any of that. Or let's put it this way what are you hoping to achieve when you wash veg?

If you have good food hygiene you won't need to worry about spreading bacteria.

Not sure where you are getting your chicken but mine doesn't have any of those on it.

As has already been said, good food hygiene means not washing a chicken for no reason whatsoever.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peg ODwyer wrote: »
    I have been cooking chicken for 40 plus years & I have never washed it before cooking, nor do I ever intend to.

It must be done by now then.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    It must be done by now then.:D

lol:D Must be a darn big chicken!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Do you mean chicken pieces? I wouldn't cook a whole chicken from frozen. Meat is quite a good insulator, and ice takes a lot of energy to melt, and salmonella can live deep in the muscle. Those three facts make it hard to cook a whole chicken from frozen and be sure there are no cold spots with living bacteria.

Yeah, pieces, a whole chicken would cook too unevenly.

But I used to know a lot of people who seemed to think it was actually poisonous to cook it from frozen, which it's definitely not.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That stollen is edible.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, pieces, a whole chicken would cook too unevenly.

But I used to know a lot of people who seemed to think it was actually poisonous to cook it from frozen, which it's definitely not.
    I think a lot of people blindly follow rules without really understanding them. It's wrong to cook a whole chicken from frozen, but they think it's because it's chicken, not because of its size. So they think the rule applies to all chicken.
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who say you don't need to be concerned about calories if the food your eating is what they deem nutritionally "good".
    Ok - eat 10000calories worth of quinoa and butternut squash a day and you won't end up 40 stone
  • riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chicken is far more contaminated by bacteria than it used to be thanks to intensively rearing them and the overuse of antibiotics in order to allow them to rear them in such awful conditions. Washing them simply spreads the bacteria around as has been said previously and is a dangerous thing to do. I prefer chickens that come oven ready in a roasting bag, more hygienic than having to handle it and it keeps the oven clean!

Antibiotic resistance in animals we eat is becoming a huge problem as it is in people :(
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    Carbohydrates are the great evil.

Better to smoke than eat pasta.

As a diabetic, carbs are the great evil. Convert straight to sugar in your body and increase your blood glucose to unsafe levels.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    The only reason to wash veg is when it's straight out of the ground, to get rid of any loose earth clinging to them. Bacteria is not killed by a rinse in water and pesticides are lipid and won't wash away under a tap (they break down very quickly anyway).

I always wash so called pre washed bagged salad. In fact I prefer not to buy bagged at all but when you are a single person household - to get variety in a salad you would have to buy one of everything and would end up throwing half of it away. :confused:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11434030/Washed-salad-leaves-are-not-necessarily-clean-warns-food-expert.html
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »
    I prefer chickens that come oven ready in a roasting bag, more hygienic than having to handle it and it keeps the oven clean!

I've tried those (from a supermarket) but to me they are not the same quality as chicken from a trusted source - say a small local butcher.
    I've perfected the art of not touching chicken with my hands.
    I use utensils if necessary, to put it straight into the roasting dish.
    If I am cutting up chicken for home hooked pet food, I cut it up without touching by spearing it with a fork and using some sharp scissors - in the pan it is being cooked in.
    It doesn't go near a work surface. But if there is any accidental contact, I clean up with a spray and paper towels - not a dishcloth.
    Anything that has been in contact with the chicken gets disinfected and washed separately in the sink.
    OK I'm paranoid.... :o

Edit Just realised I could use my disposable latex gloves - bought originally for doing the dog's anal glands or setting the outside rat trap :D
  • Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riversmum wrote: »
    Chicken is far more contaminated by bacteria than it used to be thanks to intensively rearing them and the overuse of antibiotics in order to allow them to rear them in such awful conditions. Washing them simply spreads the bacteria around as has been said previously and is a dangerous thing to do. I prefer chickens that come oven ready in a roasting bag, more hygienic than having to handle it and it keeps the oven clean!

Antibiotic resistance in animals we eat is becoming a huge problem as it is in people :(

I was reading last week that something like 70% of whole supermarket chickens contain the salmonella bug so must be cooked long enough to kill it. Was gobsmacked that the number was so high!
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 5 second rule :D
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Pre-packed fresh chickens used to include instructions to wash them (along with cooking instructions), so anyone following those would have been liberally spraying bacteria around their kitchen.

Chicken has had 'do not wash' warning for some time now.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I've tried those (from a supermarket) but to me they are not the same quality as chicken from a trusted source - say a small local butcher.
    I've perfected the art of not touching chicken with my hands.
    I use utensils if necessary, to put it straight into the roasting dish.
    If I am cutting up chicken for home hooked pet food, I cut it up without touching by spearing it with a fork and using some sharp scissors - in the pan it is being cooked in.
    It doesn't go near a work surface. But if there is any accidental contact, I clean up with a spray and paper towels - not a dishcloth.
    Anything that has been in contact with the chicken gets disinfected and washed separately in the sink.
    OK I'm paranoid.... :o

Edit Just realised I could use my disposable latex gloves - bought originally for doing the dog's anal glands or setting the outside rat trap :D

Whatever you're comfortable with, I guess, but IMO this is all a bit over the top. It's a chicken, not high-grade plutonium! Being aware of basic hygiene and cross-contamination is all you need really.

I couldn't cook properly without handling food. My roast chicken gets massaged with salt and pepper and olive oil and rubbed and then stuffed with garlic and lemon. I can't do that without using my hands.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    I was reading last week that something like 70% of whole supermarket chickens contain the salmonella bug so must be cooked long enough to kill it. Was gobsmacked that the number was so high!

I remember reading this and wondering who these people are that need reminding to cook a chicken properly!

I had visions of people eating it medium rare and thinking that was ok.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I nearly wrote the sushi one myself.

Another one from a recent thread in general that I agree with. The best sausages have the highest meat content. My favourite sausages usually have other ingredients other than meat, such as caramelised red onions, apple, cheese, leeks, herbs and spices, curry paste in them and I think a small amount of breadcrumbs only improves the sausage. 70-80% meat is about right IMO, if using good quality meat.

I hate sausages with a really high pork content. They have a horrible texture. If i wanted pure pork, i would eat a pork chop.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I don't like people who are closed minded about food, the "I know what I like" types. They're so ****ing dull! And they sit, picking at their food and ordering beige meals no matter what country they visit.

I know people will say they are entitled to like what they like and I agree, but I'm also entitled to think they're closed minded dullards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I don't like people who are closed minded about food, the "I know what I like" types. They're so ****ing dull! And they sit, picking at their food and ordering beige meals no matter what country they visit.

I know people will say they are entitled to like what they like and I agree, but I'm also entitled to think they're closed minded dullards.

Yes, wouldn't hurt for them try new stuff, even if it's just a taste at first from someone else's plate. My dad was a meat, mash and two well cooked veg man. Only pasta he ate was tinned Heinz spaghetti and rice, Ambrosia rice pudding. My mum was more adventurous and would try anything so she ate Chinese. Not keen on curry though. She did ask for a knife and fork in KFC once though. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I hate sausages with a really high pork content. They have a horrible texture. If i wanted pure pork, i would eat a pork chop.

What happened to tomato sausages? Had them when I was young but you don't see them nowadays.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It tastes fine, it tastes the same as if you'd cooked it from fresh.

It will have a different texture because whilst frozen the water content will expand and affect the structure of the meat. If you cook directly from frozen you will get a much more sinewy texture. Likewise, steak should always be at room temperature for at least an hour before cooking to relax the meat and it will be far more tender.
    I nearly wrote the sushi one myself.

Another one from a recent thread in general that I agree with. The best sausages have the highest meat content. My favourite sausages usually have other ingredients other than meat, such as caramelised red onions, apple, cheese, leeks, herbs and spices, curry paste in them and I think a small amount of breadcrumbs only improves the sausage. 70-80% meat is about right IMO, if using good quality meat.

It's when the other 20% or more is rusk or other bulking agents that the sausages are rubbish. Good sausages should be made from primal cuts of meat.
    I always wash so called pre washed bagged salad. In fact I prefer not to buy bagged at all but when you are a single person household - to get variety in a salad you would have to buy one of everything and would end up throwing half of it away. :confused:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11434030/Washed-salad-leaves-are-not-necessarily-clean-warns-food-expert.html

Pre-bagged salad has a massive amount of chemicals and usually gas flushed when it's packed which preserves the chemicals.. Definitely best to wash it.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vine-ripened tomatoes. Sold on the actual vine with fruits of varying sizes from large to tiny. All ripened at the same time - amazing!
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »

In Quito, Ecuador I decided immediately we sat down at a group lunch I was ordering Guinea pig.
    We were in a tour group and two people moved to another table immediately (to enjoy their burger and chips without being upset) but a "veggie" next to me said "Your choice, I'm not offended".
    I was more peed off by the person opposite who wouldn't order it but badgered me for a taste before I'd even tasted it myself.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, wouldn't hurt for them try new stuff, even if it's just a taste at first from someone else's plate. My dad was a meat, mash and two well cooked veg man. Only pasta he ate was tinned Heinz spaghetti and rice, Ambrosia rice pudding. My mum was more adventurous and would try anything so she ate Chinese. Not keen on curry though. She did ask for a knife and fork in KFC once though. :D
    My Dad introduced me to curry in the 60's.
    Vesta!
    Rice always served in a perfect circle around the plate and the "curry" content poured into the well in the middle.
    Chow Mein also - good old MSG hits!
    He also loved the Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie in the circular can.
    All still available in Poundland 😳