Options

Next hottest curry after madras?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Vindaloos are lovely, they are my 'curry of choice' when I am out for an Indian meal. I like my spicy food, and a vindaloo hits the right spot.

A phaal on the other hand, I am convinced is food sent direct from the heat bowels of hell itself. I only tried it once, it defeated me. Was calling frantically for some cold drinks after a few spoonfuls.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I can't even face a madras.

Dopiaza or bhuna is the hottest I'll go.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Me too, I only go as far as 'medium hot' (I'm a wimp at curries) :D
    Dopiaza's are nice, as are bhunas, I had a passanda (lamb) last time I had a curry, very nice indeed :)
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indie.star wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian so meat won't be an issue.

Its not covering just bad quality meat.

Why dont you just have Tabasco sauce for dinner? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Indian Garlic Chilli Chicken curry is nice, about as hot as i'll go, like others have said, no point in obliterating the proper taste just for heat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member

Okay whatever you're obviously a food snob.

I asked a simple question and like I said I just like spicy food. No need for the roll eyes smiley at all. :confused:
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    No idea but it's pointless aiming to graduate to phal other than as a tick-box exercise. I generally love heat but you simply can't taste the food through the burning. Trust me, I tried it. Once.

I don't know how Patak's Phal sauce compares to a take away. I had some yesterday with diced chicken.
    At first I thought it was ok. Eventually I realised it was hotter than Vindaloo but that one is an immediate heat hit. Wheras the Phal got me in the end, gradual loss of sensation in my mouth. Was still alright though.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The last time I tried Tabasco sauce there was no heat in it. Try harder.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    My local Indian does a Green Chilli Chicken Curry. It is quite hot - possibly on a par with other Vindaloo takeaways. It has loads of those little Birds' Eye Chillies in.

I love to try a phall. To see if I can handle it.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indian Restaurant Tolworth Surrey 1971.
    Back then I was eating just biriani but a chap next to me ordered a phaal. The fumes from his dish closed my eyes.
    At a table opposite two youths were worse for wear and slowly spooning curry to their mouths. They were eyeballing each other and really struggling.
    They eventually finished and I noticed the waiter remove their plates then bring them two more dishes.
    As he came by I asked what they were doing.
    He said "Very drunk. Phaal competition. First one to stop pays. That is phaal number three".
    Around here in the last few years some really good Curry Houses have opened up and are offering genuine cuisine.
    They have relegated the Madras and Vindaloos to the last page under "Old Favourites".
    You wont find that rubbish in India, I was there for 18 days and never encountered it. It's a macho Brit thing to see how much heat you can stand.
    Having said that I've done it - I used to do vindaloo - but I stopped about 5 years back after a ten week LA Indian cookery course.
    Now I ask the staff for their advice. They appreciate the genuine interest.
  • Options
    withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best thing to do is cook your own curry and grow some of these peppers, Trinidad Scorpion, naga monrich or bhut jolokia peppers. They will be hotter then curry's brought from any shop/Restaurant as for the most part they use birdseye chillies in there curry's. Which are not that hot t.b.h Also cooking your own will be Healthy and better:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy-KZ1XuxpY
  • Options
    Nine Bob NoteNine Bob Note Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terms such as balti, madras, jalfrezi and vindaloo are largely meaningless. Depends on the the curry house or sauce manufacturer to decide what they contain, how they are prepared and how hot they are.
  • Options
    PaulieboyPaulieboy Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    love madras and vidalo even had phal once but never again
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how Patak's Phal sauce compares to a take away. I had some yesterday with diced chicken.
    At first I thought it was ok. Eventually I realised it was hotter than Vindaloo but that one is an immediate heat hit. Wheras the Phal got me in the end, gradual loss of sensation in my mouth. Was still alright though.

Pataks is NOWHERE near a Phal from a takeaway .
  • Options
    Kid BKid B Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irvine wrote: »
    Go for a Chicken phaal

:D that was awphal advice - I have had phal on two occasions and for me it's too nuclear - I really like tindaloo as this, while not so well-known, bridges the gap between vindaloo and phal. But while my local takeaway does a splendidly hot vindaloo, I am mindful now of plumping for the next strength down which I believe will be a Madras.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many, many years ago, a mate of mine (who wasn't quite normal) said he'd pay for a post-pub curry in the local Indian as long as I finished it. He ordered a chicken phal, followed by 'and don't spare us' to the waiter. Curry came and after a couple of tentative mouthfuls I thought it was going to be easy. Then I made the mistake of having a small sip of water. :D

By the way, nobody in India ever eats a phal. It was invented in Birmingham as a bit of a joke to play on the natives.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always have a Vindaloo. Lamb; I like hot/spicy food and a good 'vinders' hits the spot

I had a Phal, once.

We were visiting my parents at the time, and we went to the local curry house.

Never again, I enjoyed it at the time and snarfed it down, but the following day, my usual morning poo was anything but.

'Ring of Fire' springs to mind. Never in my life have I had such a painful poo; sweating and panting as I evacuated molten lava. I was not in a happy place.

My taste buds loved it, but my insides didn't.

I came out of the bathroom looking like I had been ten rounds with Mike Tyson.

A Phal is a bum killer.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    I came out of the bathroom looking like I had been ten rounds with Mike Tyson.
    I'm wondering if you intended that allegory to be appropriate in the same way as I interpreted it. :D
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I love a lamb madras. One of my favourite meals.

I can eat a vindaloo, but it's a bit like one of those man vs food challenges. I am constantly wiping sweat off my face as I go.

But the madras is just about perfect for me.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my head all that heat needs meat to hold on to. With only vegetables it would be too brutal in my imagination. I'd eat it though :D
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    I love a lamb madras. One of my favourite meals.

I can eat a vindaloo, but it's a bit like one of those man vs food challenges. I am constantly wiping sweat off my face as I go.

But the madras is just about perfect for me.

Someone said earlier that a madras/vindaloo in one restaurant will differ greatly to that in another and that is very true. We tend to eat in just one or two that are highly rated and the staff will deliver whatever you wish after a few questions and that's much more rewarding than asking for the "same old" every visit. We've worked our way through many dishes on the menu for the experience.