Options

What is Sky Cinema

beth0o0beth0o0 Posts: 1,399
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And how do I just upgrade to Sky Movies? I've just recently been discounted £5 from my broadband and £6.40 off tv package as I was going to cancel my service. Now am I able to get Sky movies if I want to. I don't want the Cinema one.

Comments

• Options
    liamjones1liamjones1 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Sky cinema is sky movies it was renamed in July
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How comes on the Sky listings it comes up with all the Sky movie channels and a seperate part for Sky Cinema. looks like if you put Cinema in your package you then wouldn't get say Sky Premiere 1 etc
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beth0o0 wrote: »
    How comes on the Sky listings it comes up with all the Sky movie channels and a seperate part for Sky Cinema. looks like if you put Cinema in your package you then wouldn't get say Sky Premiere 1 etc

Sky Cinema and Sky Movies are exactly the same thing - they just changed the name.

Subscribing to Sky Cinema gets you the movie channels (Sky Premiere etc) and the movies on demand service.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Cinema and Sky Movies are exactly the same thing - they just changed the name.

Subscribing to Sky Cinema gets you the movie channels (Sky Premiere etc) and the movies on demand service.

They are NOT the same thing - Sky Movies are the channels broadcast live and shown on the EPG channels 301 to 314. Sky Cinema includes those channels plus Box Sets and Sky Store and also sorts films into genres, 3D, subtitled etc. Sky Cinema sub will give access to these (except Sky Store for which you pay additional fees). The old Sky Movies pack no longer exists (which was just the broadcast channels) and has been replaced by Sky Cinema at the same price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even get the box sets even though I've now got the movies.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are NOT the same thing - Sky Movies are the channels broadcast live and shown on the EPG channels 301 to 314.

No, they're called Sky CInema too. (Sky CInema Premiere etc).

Sky Movies no-longer exists as a brand name.

The Sky Cinema pack provides exactly the same as the old Movies pack (the linear channels on 301-314, On Demand movies, 3D etc). There is one difference: HD is included at no extra cost.

Box sets are not included with CInema (or the former Movies pack).
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beth0o0 wrote: »
    I can't even get the box sets even though I've now got the movies.

The box sets are a tv package completely separate to cinema. Cinema is just an add on. If you want the box sets you need to ring sky to upgrade to that package. Might be an offer on right now for doing it. If there is not an offer ask about upgrading with the line rental offer if you have line rental with them.

Cinema is the exact same as movies but the main difference is there is a new premiere every day instead of a few on a Friday.
  • Options
    Sandancer1Sandancer1 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    The box sets are a tv package completely separate to cinema. Cinema is just an add on. If you want the box sets you need to ring sky to upgrade to that package. Might be an offer on right now for doing it. If there is not an offer ask about upgrading with the line rental offer if you have line rental with them.

Cinema is the exact same as movies but the main difference is there is a new premiere every day instead of a few on a Friday.

Quite right, they are one and the same. Sky Movies is now Sky Cinema.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/15/sky-movies-rebrands-as-sky-cinema-as-broadcaster-throws-down-gau/
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try looking in Sky Cinema - there are "Box sets" of movies which should be available on Sky Cinema pack. These are different to the Box Sets (of series) available to the "Box Set" pack. Confusing isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try looking in Sky Cinema - there are "Box sets" of movies which should be available on Sky Cinema pack. These are different to the Box Sets (of series) available to the "Box Set" pack. Confusing isn't it?
    I see that now and I agree it could be confusing to those who are unsure, but I think it is clear enough that the cinema and tv box sets are separate so it is not that big a deal. Sky obviously thought the same. Within cinema there are box sets of cinema titles but it is clearly listed in the cinema section and not in the box sets section. Most sky customers know they can only access the cinema section with cinema on their package. Sky could change this to something better titled such as sequels (collections already taken) but they are unlikely to do this.
  • Options
    Night CrawlerNight Crawler Posts: 1,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty sure box sets and all the other genre tabs were available under Sky Movies, all that's changed is the name, its now called Sky Cinema.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure box sets and all the other genre tabs were available under Sky Movies, all that's changed is the name, its now called Sky Cinema.
    This is correct. The only thing that has changed is the name and the new premiere every day. Also better sound and picture quality but this is barely noticeable. All the on demand movies and movie collections were already included as part of the movie package.
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did not the blurb say at the time... SKY Cinema, the NEW name for Sky Movies ?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    ktla5 wrote: »
    Did not the blurb say at the time... SKY Cinema, the NEW name for Sky Movies ?

'The new home of Sky Movies'

https://youtu.be/d-IXDxkPtbw
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    'The new home of Sky Movies'

https://youtu.be/d-IXDxkPtbw

I was close ! LOL
  • Options
    NiemirovskyNiemirovsky Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    No, they're called Sky CInema too. (Sky CInema Premiere etc).

Sky Movies no-longer exists as a brand name.

The Sky Cinema pack provides exactly the same as the old Movies pack (the linear channels on 301-314, On Demand movies, 3D etc). There is one difference: HD is included at no extra cost.

Box sets are not included with CInema (or the former Movies pack).

Oh, wow! So gracious Sky! HD included? In 2016/2017? That HAVE TO be STANDARD of packages. That's modern quality, and Sky wants extra money for that? So sick and ridiculous.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    They only want extra money now for sports in HD, but I agree that is an anachronism well over ten years after HD was launched.
    Unfortunately as long as people will still pay the extra charge, they will keep charging for it! BT Sport is no different, HD costs extra there too.
    No-one, certainly not me, would now want to go back to watching sport only in SD, and they well know that!
    :(