Argentinian Olympic advert 'disrespectful' to Falklands

15678911»

Comments

• ChittySuntChittySunt Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Exactly, we know what a bunch of idiotic hotheads the Argentinians are. We'll ignor them for the time being.
    Amen to that - ignoring them is exactly what we've been doing here.
    The British stiff upper-lip at its best - here for all to see in this fine and dignified internet forum thread.
    I hope the Argie hotheaded idiots read and learn!
  • makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Exactly, we know what a bunch of idiotic hotheads the Argentinians are. We'll ignor them for the time being.

You can't say that coz it's 'w'acist!

In fact it seems that almost any criticism of Argentina with regards to The Falkands is considered racist by some...

What a pity. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    I always find the "Lefties hate Britain" argument super-weird, because it's righties who are always complaining about how Britain is broken, going to the dogs, doomed because of immigration, doomed because of liberalism, doomed because of secularism, etc. The lefties I know are much more optimistic about Britain than the righties!

I have to agree with you there, even though I personally feel a lack of outrage over the topic being discussed though.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    I thought "PC mob" was aimed at those who take offence at the slightest thing, often for political reasons... like someone putting their foot on the bottom step of a British war memorial, for instance.

Or, ironically, like those who are offended by the reaction to the Argentinian advert. It's the same people who mock 'Daily Mail readers' for being outraged. You couldn't make it up!
  • makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or, ironically, like those who are offended by the reaction to the Argentinian advert. It's the same people who mock 'Daily Mail readers' for being outraged. You couldn't make it up!

An astute observation. :)
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always find the "Lefties hate Britain" argument super-weird, because it's righties who are always complaining about how Britain is broken, going to the dogs, doomed because of immigration, doomed because of liberalism, doomed because of secularism, etc. The lefties I know are much more optimistic about Britain than the righties!

If the left is more optimistic about Britain now then it's likely to be the case that's what is currently happening is what they want surely?

Go back to the eighties and the left were the ones who weren't optimistic and were carrying on about how Britain was doomed.
    You can't have that short a memory.

Ergo, people are optimistic when what they agree with seems to be happening.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the left is more optimistic about Britain now then it's likely to be the case that's what is currently happening is what they want surely?

Go back to the eighties and the left were the ones who weren't optimistic and were carrying on about how Britain was doomed.
    You can't have that short a memory.

Ergo, people are optimistic when what they agree with seems to be happening.
    For what it's worth, I was a child in the 80s, so my memory of the politics won't be as good as yours, no!

Obviously that's partly it, but I don't think it's the whole answer. I mean, we've got a Tory government, for a start! And a lot of the things righties tend to be worried about are just traditional "ah, Britain was much better in the old days when children were respectful and women obeyed their husbands and there weren't so many damn immigrants", all of which people have been complaining about for thousands of years.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I was a child in the 80s, so my memory of the politics won't be as good as yours, no!

Obviously that's partly it, but I don't think it's the whole answer. I mean, we've got a Tory government, for a start! And a lot of the things righties tend to be worried about are just traditional "ah, Britain was much better in the old days when children were respectful and women obeyed their husbands and there weren't so many damn immigrants", all of which people have been complaining about for thousands of years.

But if you were a child in the eighties then you missed what was a very optimistic time for this country which was the fifties/sixties.

I was born in 1961, can you really not appreciate that somebody who grew up throughout the real highpoint of women's lib is not now worried when they see women clad in a burqua on the streets?

Just for once, rather than being kneejerk, can you not see that point of view?

Have you ever considered that your viewpoint has been shaped by what you have to live with rather than looking from the outside and deciding whether it's good or not?

It's just a simple thing, not really related to anything else. However much you will try and relate it to racism or any other "ism".
    I grew up believing that all women should have the automony and freedom to break free from male constraints. And that in this country at least we were getting towards that.
    I just don't think that's the case anymore for quite a large and growing number of women in this country.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you were a child in the eighties then you missed what was a very optimistic time for this country which was the fifties/sixties.

I was born in 1961, can you really not appreciate that somebody who grew up throughout the real highpoint of women's lib is not now worried when they see women clad in a burqua on the streets?

Have you ever considered that your viewpoint has been shaped by what you have to live with rather than looking from the outside and deciding whether it's good or not?

It's just a simple thing, not really related to anything else. However much you will try and relate it to racism or any other "ism".
    I grew up believing that all women should have the automony and freedom to break free from male constraints. And that in this country at least we were getting towards that.
    I just don't think that's the case anymore for quite a large and growing number of women in this country.
    I do understand that point of view, when it comes from people actually worried about the women (which I'm sure includes you.) But a lot of the people complaining about women in burqas are only in it to bash Islam, they don't give a crap about women - you can tell by the nonsense they spout on rape threads, abortion threads, women-at-work threads, and so on. They're much more invested in getting burqas off their streets than empowering women.

And I don't like burqas, and I hate the idea of women being pressured into doing anything. But for me, that includes women being pressured into NOT wearing burqas by them being made illegal, for example! I'd rather move people away from burqas by, you know, talking and educating, rather than illiberal laws aimed at one section of the population that might well backfire anyway. And unlike you (despite you saying you want autonomy and freedom for women), I accept that when it comes down to it, women have the right to choose to wear a burqa if they want, and that has nothing to do with me.
  • skinjim123skinjim123 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18453372

The Argentinian President is still protesting about the falklands sovereignty, thought she would have dropped this by now.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole "it's 14000 kilometres away from Britain thing is such BS. France has territories like French Polynesia in the middle of the South Pacific. The USA has islands like Guam in the west Pacific. I wonder if the Argentinians think all those territories should belong to another country too?
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely by now she must have pissed off a large part of the Argentinian voters who'd rather see her focus on more pressing economic issues
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was born around the same time and yet most of my views are the same as pickwick's.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skinjim123 wrote: »

The Argentinian President is still protesting about the falklands sovereignty, thought she would have dropped this by now.

Stupid cow. Ain't never gonna happen so she should shut her gob on the subject.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    skinjim123 wrote: »

what the stupid woman is proposing is exactly what she is criticising us for doing and we aren't even doing that. She wants them governed by Argentina we let them govern themselves.