What is the worst most roughest city in the UK?

1235»

Comments

• CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hackney is pretty much a sh!thole. Despite pockets of middle class-ness. I wouldn't believe there was anywhere rougher than London, taken as a whole.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five pages and no-one's mentioned Stoke-on-Trent yet?!

In that case: Stoke-on-Trent.
  • Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    Majority of Lincolnshire!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Jen-B wrote: »

Did a bit of work in Stoke last year, EDL central, it was actually at the time when the Palestine marches were in full effect and the local police had to stop them in fear of them being battered.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TopManc wrote: »
    Did a bit of work in Stoke last year, EDL central, it was actually at the time when the Palestine marches were in full effect and the local police had to stop them in fear of them being battered.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Sadly, there's a reason the BNP were strong there, and it makes me ashamed to be from somewhere like that (and thankful I am no longer there).
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im guessing your confused about the Harborne stores everytime i go in there its full of old people, the only rough pub in Harborne now is the Vine.

When I was at uni it was the rough one though. Admittedly I left Birmingham 5 years ago.

Sunderland had a few pretty bad areas but the city centre itself was relatively safe, albeit a dump.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    Belfast and Northern Ireland in general have a lower crime rate than any other part of the U.K, safer by day and night as well as having a proper police force.

Id say they do, although current events might put people off coming. Im just not a fan of Belfast in general, tend to avoid it like the plague.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    From the ones I have been to I would say Birmingham, Gloucester and Leicester.

Ive heard Hull and Bradford make you want to kill yourself as well though.

Most larger urban areas have their rough spots and good spots.

I could recommend a few rough spots if you want.

Whalley Range (Manchester).
    Toxteth (Liverpool).
    Newport, aka Casnewydd (south Wales).
    Merthyr Tydfil, aka Merthyr Tudful (south Wales).
    Caerphilly, aka Caerffili (south Wales).
    Plymouth (Union Street).
    London (Hackney borough).
    Luton (Bedfordshire, certain areas, e.g. Biscot, Farley, Marsh Farm, Lewsey, Hockwell Ring etc.).
    Cornwall (St. Austell).
  • The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Ilford. Leicester.

I used to work in Birmingham and found many parts even with bad reps to be perfectly fine - if not places you'd want to live in or owt. I used to walk through Handsworth alone, at night and felt totally safe. Yet Melton Mowbray once after dark - I thought I was going to be stabbed. Sometimes those little market towns that are full of chavs and no police - are way more scary and dodgy than inner cities.

Come to think of it, another place I have literally had drunks walk out in front of my car and pound on the bonnet is Kippax, a small town outside Leeds. That has never happened to me in Leeds itself. Kippax is the place where a man felt a disabled person was taking too long to cross the road so ran him over, reversed, and did it again. Some of these little towns are well dodgy. Their Co-op has security guards.

Blimey, how long ago was this? I have always regarded Kippax as one of the better areas in Leeds, Mind you I was brought up in a right rough 'ole estate. No security guards there now, but the co-op is still shit lol
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Ilford. Leicester.

I used to work in Birmingham and found many parts even with bad reps to be perfectly fine - if not places you'd want to live in or owt. I used to walk through Handsworth alone, at night and felt totally safe. Yet Melton Mowbray once after dark - I thought I was going to be stabbed. Sometimes those little market towns that are full of chavs and no police - are way more scary and dodgy than inner cities.

Come to think of it, another place I have literally had drunks walk out in front of my car and pound on the bonnet is Kippax, a small town outside Leeds. That has never happened to me in Leeds itself. Kippax is the place where a man felt a disabled person was taking too long to cross the road so ran him over, reversed, and did it again. Some of these little towns are well dodgy. Their Co-op has security guards.

You're obviously a bit neurotic if you walked around Melton thinking you were going to get stabbed. I'm from Melton and NEVER felt unsafe, I now live in Hackney, and even trying to think the two are comparable in terms of potential stab threat terror is hilarious! :D
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    everyone not from Chelmsley Wood says its a white ghetto?

Well, it's mainly white people, but so are the areas around it like Marston Green, Tile Cross, etc. I certainly don't consider it a ghetto, it is just a normal working class area. I have been there many times, lived there for a couple of years, and have always felt totally safe.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's mainly white people, but so are the areas around it like Marston Green, Tile Cross, etc. I certainly don't consider it a ghetto, it is just a normal working class area. I have been there many times, lived there for a couple of years, and have always felt totally safe.

It had a bad reputation a number of years ago, just like Castle Vale, but both areas are ok now. In fact the Vale improved so greatly that when it was all upgraded and modernised the only way you could get a property there was if you you knew someone there!
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »

Oatcakes to die for though!!!
    Forum Member
    It had a bad reputation a number of years ago, just like Castle Vale, but both areas are ok now. In fact the Vale improved so greatly that when it was all upgraded and modernised the only way you could get a property there was if you you knew someone there!

Yeah, I lived on the Vale for 6 years and never had any trouble whatsoever. All blown out of proportion. As for Chelmsley, I am strongly considering moving back there in the near future.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,268
    Forum Member
    How much of one's perception, would you say, depends on your upbringing?

I have never liked London but those born and bred there (in the main) seem to think it's great.

For the record I was brought up in mainly rural areas.
    Forum Member
    How much of one's perception, would you say, depends on your upbringing?

I have never liked London but those born and bred there (in the main) seem to think it's great.

For the record I was brought up in mainly rural areas.

I was brought up in Dublin and only left there as a 24 year old adult and moved to Birmingham. Now I think Birmingham is a pretty safe city, it has rough areas that I wouldn't go into at night, but then so does every city.
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Dundee city centre is a vast improvement from what it was a few years ago but the large council estates around its periphery are really rough and there is no way I would walk through any of them at night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I awoke one morning to find the other side of the street closed off as there had been a shooting across the road, so I know perhaps a little more than most. I am glad things are getting better but I'd never feel safe walking round Nottingham after dark. Even the Victoria Bus Station feels shady by day, the whole city just has an uneasy feel to it.

Derby people are more pleasant than those in Nottingham I find, but I guess that's another story.

I could never move back to the Midlands, it really is grim for the most part

Can't say I've ever felt uneasy around Victoria, tbh. I can't help but feel that experience you had with the shooting coloured your whole perception of Nottingham. You seriously wouldn't feel safe at night in say, West Bridgford?

But I do agree with you the Midlands as a whole is pretty grim and I'm planning on leaving at some point this year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Sunderland had a few pretty bad areas but the city centre itself was relatively safe, albeit a dump.

Agree with this. There are certain areas I tend to avoid but never felt unsafe walking around the city centre area late at night, despite the fact that the underpass by the uni's city campus has a bit of a dodgy reputation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I was going to mention those but there are some lovely areas in London and Manchester.

When I visited Gloucester the city centre was just dreadful.

Gloucester really? I love Gloucester. Used to go regularly when son was at uni in Cheltenham.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think nearly every large town or city has good and bad areas.

For me I'm going to say Glasgow, we were taking the bus back to the centre after staying in the rather nice West End area of the city. The Glasgow marathon was on and before we knew it the bus had took a diversion and we were entering the Gorbals got off pretty quick. The bus had a notice saying all our drivers carry DNA kits, eventually worked out it was to take a sample if they were spat on...nice.

Took my girlfriend, now wife, to Ibrox, waited for the stadium to empty and proposed. Came out the ground to an enormous queue for the underground asked policeman where the next nearest tube was, got directions. Really rough estate two gangs of youths seemed to be having a running battle down the street with wooden posts, Strathclydes finest just looked on and let them get on with it.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeds and bradford. london too many foreigners.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I was going to mention those but there are some lovely areas in London and Manchester.

When I visited Gloucester the city centre was just dreadful.

Unfortunately Goucester is indeed a rough place, during night and day. Like most other English cities it's been wrecked by post-war townplanners and it shows. Only the magnficent cathedral is really worth looking at it. I find the uglier the town the more rough it is.
  • steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a difference between a rough city and a dangerous city. If you spent a week in inner city Hull or Newcastle you would probably see many bar room brawls but not much of the shootings, stabbings and gang rapes which are rife in London and Birmingham.