Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get well soon Queenie :)
  • Options
    DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you would be told to call her mam and not speak unless your spoken too and so forth and anyone who say they wouldn't do that is fooling themselves, you cant go up to the queen and put her arm round her and say alright luv

I would never ever call her mam, and i would avoid anyone who said i can't speak unless spoken too. I wouldn't change around anyone.

I remember in school we had a chance to meet prince Charles and the Queen..............i think i understand now why i couldn't go :p
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you would be told to call her mam and not speak unless your spoken too and so forth and anyone who say they wouldn't do that is fooling themselves, you cant go up to the queen and put her arm round her and say alright luv

Although I haven't met the Queen, I have met Prince Charles when he visited my place of work and you're quite right - you do have to follow a protocol.

We were sent a letter which detailed everything we had to do. There were bodyguards everywhere too - I think if anyone had tried to put their arm round him would have been stopped!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well in that case I would decline the meeting. Only two people can tell me how to behave and that is my mum and dad.... and the police shoul I ever be naughty :)
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    If i had to choose between going to a theme park or meeting the Queen, i would choose the theme park every time :D

I've had the chance to meet several of the Royals, both as part of work and outside work (never the Queen mind you) and I've always managed to do absolutely anything else to get away from being anywhere near them.

The extra security, the "protocol", the having to look your best, force conversation, all the hassle...can't be bothered with that. Someone else who adores them for no reason can do all that, it's not for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never put my arm around a stranger anyway, it is rude.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work her to death? How exactly?

All that sitting there doing nothing must wreak havoc on your backside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Although I haven't met the Queen, I have met Prince Charles when he visited my place of work and you're quite right - you do have to follow a protocol.

We were sent a letter which detailed everything we had to do. There were bodyguards everywhere too - I think if anyone had tried to put their arm round him would have been stopped!

And what if you hadn't, would you be arrested ?

I didn't know there was a law about how you need to be when there is someone in the Royal family around.

What's the reason why they can't be touched exactly, are they afraid they might catch something ? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never put my arm around a stranger anyway, it is rude.

Nah i would never do that, but i wouldn't wait to be spoken to before saying something myself. I don't see why i should.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't know there was a law about how you need to be when there is someone in the Royal family around.

What's the reason why they can't be touched exactly, are they afraid they might catch something ? :rolleyes:
    I can understand the touching thing for security reasons.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does she have to go to hospital for an upset stomach? Surely they could get in a few nurses to care for her at home!
  • Options
    Forum Member

So what if she's doing one of those meet and greet sessions outside a church or orphanage or wherever else she gets wheeled out to or goes on a walkabout?

Surely you can't tell a whole crowd of people how to act in a free country such as ours? There must have been occasions in the past where someone has been able to say whatever they want to her, shake her hand, give her some criticism?

I simply refuse to believe otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nah i would never do that, but i wouldn't wait to be spoken to before saying something myself. I don't see why i should.

I agree. You pay for her, surely you can use her as you see fit? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    you cant go up to the queen and put her arm round her and say alright luv

I bet Cilla Black does and says ''Alright Chuck'' :D
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course there's no law, it's called respect. That's what a lot of people seem to lack nowadays.:rolleyes:

They didn't force anyone to bow or courtesy - obviously!

And they couldn't control what people said, but I do think the bodyguards would have stepped in if anyone had tried to touch him - for all they know you could have had a knife in your hand.

He also wasn't allowed to eat anything - I guess in case we tried to poison him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Of course there's no law, it's called respect. That's what a lot of people seem to lack nowadays.:rolleyes:

They didn't force anyone to bow or courtesy - obviously!

And they couldn't control what people said, but I do think the bodyguards would have stepped in if anyone had tried to touch him - for all they know you could have had a knife in your hand.

He also wasn't allowed to eat anything - I guess in case we tried to poison him!

Ha, you can't trust anyone these days :D:p:D
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Why does she have to go to hospital for an upset stomach? Surely they could get in a few nurses to care for her at home!

Gastroenteritis isn't 'an upset stomach'. It's really painful, unpleasant and can be dangerous for the old. I expect her doctors want her in a controlled environment so she can be put on a drip. When I had GE I really thought I was going to die (and a couple of times wished I would).
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work her to death? How exactly?

She is 86 and still gets up everyday to travel miles and miles to talk to people and shake hands over and over. You might not think that hard work but I could not do it at 55 let alone 86
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet she works harder than a lot of the gobshites on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ic wrote: »

I would never question her dedication, she must be fed up of it all I should think. That stupid boat thing she had to endure at the jubilee.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

Just :)

I really hope she gets and feels better soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I hope she gets better soon. I have so much respect towards the Queen because she has to pretend she likes David Cameron ;):D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you would be told to call her mam

I thought that's what people up north called their mothers!:D

You address the Queen as Ma'am, pronounced 'Marm' (reminds me of that line from Waiting for Godot: 'Calm! Calm! The English say 'Cawm'!')
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she gets better soon. I have so much respect towards the Queen because she has to pretend she likes David Cameron ;):D

Perhaps he has to pretend he likes and respects her!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look, just because people don't have the same opinion as you about the Queen it doesn't mean you have to have a go at anyone. :rolleyes:
    I would never question her dedication, she must be fed up of it all I should think. That stupid boat thing she had to endure at the jubilee.

I'm sure if she was fed up with it all she would have quit by now.