Bye Bye NOTW

Tree-Of-LifeTree-Of-Life Posts: 1,080
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh how satisfying to watch the demise of a Bully-Boy rag.

It is just glorious:p

Comments

• Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why is it suffering poor sales?
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    It's not going to go anywhere.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With a lot of high profile advertisers pulling their adverts, it's about more than how many copies they can sell to the UK's idiots.

The typical NOTW reader doesn't have high journalistic standards, but the advertisers can't afford to offend any of their customers. There is also a fair chance that the rest of News International will try to distance themselves from NOTW, even though I'm sure the rot comes from the top.

NOTW will suffer for a while, and a few heads will roll, but time will tell if it can move on. It is only a matter of time until the other tabloids involved in telephone hacking are under scrutiny. It's no coincidence that certain papers have tried to ignore the whole phone-hacking scandal as much as possible, even when you'd think that criticising a rival would be in their best interests.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,986
    Forum Member
    Will we see a host of celebs now shun the NOTW or will they rally round Dan Wootton.

If people are disgusted by the allegations won't it only be the bottom of the barrel celebs who'll have anything to do with the NOTW?

It's likely any celeb doing an 'exclusive' for the paper will be seen as scum?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for anyone who has recently done interviews with them, yet to be printed, but to be fair, most celebs know they are a dodgy publication, but it is seen as a necessary evil.

I know Hugh Grant has made a point of not giving any interviews to any of the tabloid papers for many years, but he's a big, established film star, and gets to pick and choose, and the sorts of films he does don't need to promote that way.

This could become similar to how everyone associated with The Sun was treated as scum in Liverpool.

Personally, I have more problems with the people who were involved with this, and those that associate with them. It doesn't reflect well on the police, or the queue of politicians who sucked up to them. Perhaps this will be the moment at which politicians finally have the guts to stop pandering to the tabloid editors.
  • Tree-Of-LifeTree-Of-Life Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Will we see a host of celebs now shun the NOTW or will they rally round Dan Wootton.

If people are disgusted by the allegations won't it only be the bottom of the barrel celebs who'll have anything to do with the NOTW?

I think Wootton should hop on the next plane back down under.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I think everybody should boycott
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they have to repackage it and bring it out again under a different title if its going to continue.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never bought it, never would and of course certainly never will. The Sun and The NOTW are disgraceful excuses for newspapers.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Wootton should hop on the next plane back down under.

I didn't know he was an Antipodean; well I've never seen him speak on TV, so I wouldn't know.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, we never buy it for a start. Then again though, we don't buy any Sunday newspaper at all.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for those that may lose their jobs when they had nothing to do with this crap.

I'd prefer if they were punished severly and made to look qt what type of stories they cover and how they get that information.

The boycott will last till the weekend when they have another CA exclusive.

Eta that's not a dig @ anyone on here but that is what will be used to try and draw folks back in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murdoch has plenty of other media outlets that will busy themselves encouraging us all to forgive and forget, and showing notw in the most sympathetic light.
  • psychoblobpsychoblob Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    just in case anyone has missed this petition http://www.avaaz.org/en/murdoch_messages_2/?twi
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

Hopefully
    So do I, look what effect the Liverpool boycott had on The Sun.

Hacking Millie Dowlers' phone was the complete pits as far as I'm concerned. Heads should roll, especially Rebekah Wade's. :rolleyes: but, of course, she knew zilch about it. YOU WERE THE EDITOR you moron. Everything has to be approved by you. :mad:

QUIT from whatever lucrative job Murdoch has doled out to you, it's about the one decent thing you'd do in your life.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Murdoch has plenty of other media outlets that will busy themselves encouraging us all to forgive and forget, and showing notw in the most sympathetic light.

We'll be able to tell which ones he owns by if they start trying to paint this tabloid in a sympathetic light.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thery'll have to change the theme music for Mock the Week.
  • hunniebunhunniebun Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a tweet from a celeb PR company earlier saying one of their clients had instructed them to stop actively looking to the NOTW to promote them - I suspect others will follow as well.
    (sorry cant find the tweet to copy and paste now!)
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    With a lot of high profile advertisers pulling their adverts, it's about more than how many copies they can sell to the UK's idiots.

The typical NOTW reader doesn't have high journalistic standards, but the advertisers can't afford to offend any of their customers. There is also a fair chance that the rest of News International will try to distance themselves from NOTW, even though I'm sure the rot comes from the top.

NOTW will suffer for a while, and a few heads will roll, but time will tell if it can move on. It is only a matter of time until the other tabloids involved in telephone hacking are under scrutiny. It's no coincidence that certain papers have tried to ignore the whole phone-hacking scandal as much as possible, even when you'd think that criticising a rival would be in their best interests.

I agree with all of this.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'll still buy the NOTW. I don't want to read a paper like the Guardian etc on a Sunday. I just want to relax with a normal paper that most Joe Bloggs in the street buy.
    I buy the Sunday Mirror too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Guardian isn't even available on a Sunday. Why don't you save your money, or just buy an actual comic. No less news content, but much less offensive to "Joe Public" who find themselves the victim of their bully boy tactics.

Tabloid journalism is going to come under great scrutiny, but it won't go down without a fight. So far, they have tried to convince us that the hacking was just about listening into celebrities' messages, and that somehow or other, these rich, famous people (and their families) don't deserve privacy. Look at the way they all came out fighting to protect "freedom of speech" to print the gory details of extra-marital affairs or a person who kicks a ball for a living. The effort that went into a big PR con that tabloid tittle-tattle is important and in the public interest was imense.

It's too cheap and easy to run these stories, and the politicians are happy for them to distract the public from anything important.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,986
    Forum Member
    The Indpendent is running a story that Rebekah Brooks (ex wife of Ross Kemp) was in contact with the Private Eye who alledgedly hacked Milly Dowler's phone.

A former reporter at the News of The World laughed when told Rebekah denied any knowledge of phone hacking.

Surely it's going to be difficult for 'family' friendly companies such as Tesco to continue advertising in the NOTW?
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOTW will be free and publish full page apology on Sunday

Or will not publish at all.
  • PurpleTurtlePurpleTurtle Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I hope this doesn't fizzle out and get swept under the carpet within the week, I hope that scumbag paper gets its just deserts and suffer greatly from this.

I'm all for freedom and speech and all that, but there needs to be some regulation on how newspapers go about their business, otherwise they'd be a law unto themselves like the NOTW and many other tabloid rags have become. They are just as nasty and immoral as the people they target with their 'exclusives' every day, it's about time the tables turned on them and get taken down a peg or two!
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    The Guardian isn't even available on a Sunday.

It is, it's called The Observer. :)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're certainly in deep sh*t, maybe the deepest ever. And deservedly so.