Options

Whitechapel - Series 3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
The new series should be starting in a couple of weeks. The trailer is here:

http://youtu.be/ytg912W0yVA

I posted about this when the last series was on but would like to remind everyone of the wonderful little group we have for Whitechapel on LiveJournal. All sorts of stuff on there - LOTS of fanfic, videos, even some fanart. There will also be episode discussion when the new series starts and we'd love some new members. :)

http://whitechapel-itv.livejournal.com/

Comments

• Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be giving it a watch, although I thought the Ripper one was fab but the Kray one wasn't as good, fingers crossed for number3.
  • Options
    beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    We saw the clip tonight.
    The Kray series was just a re-run of the Ripper episodes.
    I hope they are a bit more imaginative this time!
  • Options
    Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not that well-versed on Victorian serial killers -which one is this centred on?

Loved the Ripper one, but in agreement that the Kray one was rather feeble. Too near to living memory perhaps for oldies like me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    I'm not that well-versed on Victorian serial killers -which one is this centred on?

They aren't doing a copycat this time although the murders do have something to do with history.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Molly Hunt wrote: »

Loved the Ripper one, but in agreement that the Kray one was rather feeble. Too near to living memory perhaps for oldies like me!

If they had wanted to do they could have done one centred on Dr Thomas Neill Cream who at times has been suspected to have been The Ripper
  • Options
    laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I'm definitely looking forward to this. I come from Whitechapel and find this show fascinating. The Ripper episodes were brilliant. The Krays one was still good just a bit over the top. The only other complaint I had is that both endings were very rushed.

Apart from that I look forward to seeing what they come up with next.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait, love this series and adore Rupert Penry-Jones! :D
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the first series and thought it was brilliant, wasnt to sure how it would work again, especially with the Krays being a recent thing. I am pleased the third series has gone back to the victorian roots, i will watch this and hope its ok.
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the ones I saw but I didn't know there had been two series. What happened to Series two?

Is this a result of ITV's stupid policy of charging (yes, really) other websites to show their listings? so the one I use doesn't show ITV progs and I don't bother to seek them out.

How do you describe a business model where you want and need people to know about your products in order to survive and won't let anyone else give you free publicity?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being shown on STV as it's one of the English dramas that is doesn't show. Luckily I saw it in a TV mag and I can record it on ITV1 London. Looks good and I'm looking forward to it
  • Options
    Chocolate MonkeChocolate Monke Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!

I forgot this was on, pleasant surprise when I turned on the telly. It's not one of the best series on tv, but I always enjoy it.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a coincidence that they picked to copy a murder that is exactly 200 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratcliff_Highway_murders
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen s1 or s2 so am new to the series, but going by ep1 alone, this was a whole load of tosh.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoa, once again I drop in on DS to see what's being said about a recent favourite show of mine only to discover a lack luster response.

I thought this was a big show?

Anyway I enjoyed it, each to their own I know. Hmm I don't really feel like saying much else due to the lack of interest.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratcliffe Highway no longer exists as such, and, according to Wiki, the roads which made it up are now four-lane roads. So definitely not a side street near Brick Lane.

Since the kind of victims (three family members and a shop boy) were nothing like the victims in the episode, how could any connection be made to the Ratcliffe Highway murders?
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Not seen s1 or s2 so am new to the series, but going by ep1 alone, this was a whole load of tosh.

Welcome to the Hammer Horror world of Whitechapel, great fun if you appreciate 100% grade A hokum.
  • Options
    dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    What's that "spiderman" all about
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just caught up on iplayer. I thought this first ep was great. Very atmospheric and reminiscent of the first series.
  • Options
    Silent-loveSilent-love Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnotism?
  • Options
    digimoandigimoan Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    Whoa, once again I drop in on DS to see what's being said about a recent favourite show of mine only to discover a lack luster response.

I thought this was a big show?

Anyway I enjoyed it, each to their own I know. Hmm I don't really feel like saying much else due to the lack of interest.

I agree I love Whitechapel and thought last night's was fab! Then I came on here to see what people's theories are and zilch!

I enjoyed it anyway:D
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed series 1, didnt bother with series 2, but I enjoyed the first part of 3
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show, and last nights show was blummin creepy. I went to make a cup of tea after the show and looked out the window at the dark garden and felt a little shiver of terror !!

Brilliant, atmospheric and good old fashioned blood and gore. Love it.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Since the kind of victims (three family members and a shop boy) were nothing like the victims in the episode, how could any connection be made to the Ratcliffe Highway murders?

1. It was a similar type of shop
    2. It had the same number of victims
    3. One employee avoided being killed due to being sent out to buy some food
  • Options
    ktboilsktboils Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it. For some reason it reminded me of the Eugene Tooms thing in The X Files.
  • Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it too.

Its not your normal Police Procedural drama, espically in the first series there was alway the threat of the "BoogyMan" and threats in the darkness. As someone said it is a bit like "The X Files", is the killer something less than human.

I think it works well with this premise. Just leave your brain at the door and enjoy it for what it is.