Options

Do we need a musical theatre style coach?

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,988
Forum Member
The operatic contestants aren't getting a look-in in this show. Even Tom isn't interested. But they have good voices and deserve some help to success.

Comments

• Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you consider all four turned around for those two girls I don't get it
  • Options
    doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deffo, perhaps Michael Ball/Jodie Prenger/Bonnie Langford
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deffo, perhaps Michael Ball/Jodie Prenger/Bonnie Langford

Blimey! Where me pension book and me bus pass! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jodie Prenger's only been around for 5 minutes! Michael Ball is a good shout, maybe Ruthie Henshall?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good suggestions. May be if Tom chooses to step down next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Blimey! Where me pension book and me bus pass! :)

That only half works, cause no one has a pension book anymore. They have been paying into the bank for years.
    (And within the next 3 months no-one will have giro-cheques either.)

No I am not po-faced.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A classical crossover artist like Alfie Boe would have been better thanTom Jones imo.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Personally, I don't want to see a musical theatre coach on the panel. The coaches are there for their knowledge and experience of the mainstream music scene, and many musical theatre voices don't translate well into that market. I hope all the coaches remain for the next few series, it's got a fantastic formula so far - if it's not broke, don't fix it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No musical theatre - that went out with those Andrew Lloyd webber shows!
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are missing a member of a girl or boy band who cannot sing and has never written or produced any song. After all they do sing many songs in the charts.

Maybe a member of The Wanted or One Direction?
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love musical theatre, but didn't rate either Kerry or Ben's auditions.at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why let people audition singing Nessun Dorma or a musical theatre song if it's all about mainstream pop and the coaches are only interested in mainstream singers? Surely the Voice should be able to handle a Rhydian type singer?
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Why let people audition singing Nessun Dorma or a musical theatre song if it's all about mainstream pop and the coaches are only interested in mainstream singers? Surely the Voice should be able to handle a Rhydian type singer?

Nobody (as far as I can remember) performed a musical theatre song in the televised auditions. Perhaps that's why the Musical Theatre singers struggled, because they were performing material that was outside their comfort zone. There was only one person who performed an operatic aria and she was a teenage girl who sounded very raw and untrained.

I do think that, whilst it would be interesting to see a Musical Theatre judge on the show, it does seem that that the idea of The Voice is to find a viable recording artist in the pop/rock genre. Not Musical Theatre/Classical/Opera.
  • Options
    Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    No musical theatre - that went out with those Andrew Lloyd webber shows!

I wish you'd tell that to Leeds Box Office when I rang to get a ticket for Phantom of the Opera a week or two back. They were selling like hot cakes. Half an hour after the box office opened I couldn't get any nearer than row S! :rolleyes:

And, haven't you heard? The West End musical theatre is going great guns. I think it might be you that is out of touch?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think we need a coach on The Voice for that. I think if they were going to try and find someone for opera then they should have a seperate show entirely for that. You can't compare an opera singer to someone singing pop. As for theator, I think that a lot of the time theater singers aren't very good, that's why they're in theatre and not studio. That's not to say there aren't some really good theater singers out there, not at all. But why would you want a theater sytle coach, when the reward is a recording contract? It's a totally different business.

Xx..xX
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    We'd probably need a rock coach too. IMO the coaches just need to appreciate the format more. They all made very conservative one dimensional generic choices and were far too busy trying to second guess the gender and look of the contestant.

If they tried to listen just to the voice and not be pressured by other issues I don't see why opera or rock singers wouldn't have had more of a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I don't think we need a coach on The Voice for that. I think if they were going to try and find someone for opera then they should have a seperate show entirely for that. You can't compare an opera singer to someone singing pop. As for theator, I think that a lot of the time theater singers aren't very good, that's why they're in theatre and not studio. That's not to say there aren't some really good theater singers out there, not at all. But why would you want a theater sytle coach, when the reward is a recording contract? It's a totally different business.

Xx..xX
    I really mean a musical theatre coach who would appreciate the qualities of an opera or theatre trained singer such as Kerry Ellis and may be help them into a pop career, or at least a mixed one, like Rhydian achieved in the X Factor. I know it's hard to compare singers but it's hard to believe that Kerry wasn't one the top 40 singers. Ok so the coaches might have thought there's nothing I could teach her. But then why let her audition? May be the show should be called The Voice in Training.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We'd probably need a rock coach too. IMO the coaches just need to appreciate the format more. They all made very conservative one dimensional generic choices and were far too busy trying to second guess the gender and look of the contestant.

If they tried to listen just to the voice and not be pressured by other issues I don't see why opera or rock singers wouldn't have had more of a chance.
    I agree. British shows pick such generic singers compared to the US ones which have rock and country singers getting a look in.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    No, it's a different genre. I'm not that fond of pop music but musical theatre? Even less so.

That's not the point though. Musical theatre is half acting! Different animal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really mean a musical theatre coach who would appreciate the qualities of an opera or theatre trained singer such as Kerry Ellis and may be help them into a pop career, or at least a mixed one, like Rhydian achieved in the X Factor. I know it's hard to compare singers but it's hard to believe that Kerry wasn't one the top 40 singers. Ok so the coaches might have thought there's nothing I could teach her. But then why let her audition? May be the show should be called The Voice in Training.

Kerry wasn't very good, she was pitchy and a bit shouty. I think she was trying too hard. I think the judges decision not to press the buzzer had more to do with that than anything to do with her being from theater since they didn't know that until after anyway.

Xx..xX
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How would a musical theatre coach help a musical theatre contestant in pop music? Surely only a pop music coach could help a musical theatre act?

Sounds like you want to push the boundaries so far it becomes a whole new show.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

Not really, her audition was not good, simple as, doesn't matter what her track record was, her audition wasn't good. Same with the long haired chap who sang Bon Jovi and was from a musical theatre backgrond, obviously has a voice, but gave a dated, cliched performance that sounded like a tribute act. The bloke who sang Tom Jones sounded like Sir Harry Secombe.

Interestingly Max Milner also has a musical theatre background, but sounded contemporary, and sailed through.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    When you consider all four turned around for those two girls I don't get it

I didn't get that either. :confused: