Dave Ja Vu

2»

Comments

• Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    The fact that this six-tuner device also seemed to veer off into something that included 17 1/2 analogue ouptuts, a teasmaid, kitchen sink and three weeks in Benidorm every year makes it seem to be an entirely different kettle of fish...

Let's face it, with the sheer volume of content available to watch on that device, you wouldn't have any time to make your own tea...
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    A quattro LNB into a multi-switch with one tuner per output would be what you need - there are 57 DVB-S transponders on Astra 2 / Eurobird with FTA services, of which about 36 have services worth watching (i.e. not religious, shopping, tests). You can knock another 18 off if you ignore services on Freeview, +1s, and radio services and only care about having either an SD or HD version of Arise News - i.e. 18 tuners.

Obviously adding other satellites into the mix will make it pretty much impractical - but for most households 7-9 Freeview tuners and four satellite tuners each being fed Astra 2 + Astra 1 + Hotbird would cover domestic use quite easily (obviously you couldn't record everything!).

As for duplicates - with TVHeadend you allocate the service (i.e. channel on a multiplex on a card) to a channel - this means when tuning to 201 (Al Jazeera) for instance my setup will first try to tune to it via Freeview, if that is unavailable it will go to DSAT where it can pick between Astra 2 and Astra 1. No idea how it picks between the satellite, but if a tuner was already tuned to the same transponder at 19.2'E it would use that tuner one, otherwise it would retune an idle tuner to a suitable frequency. This means that in a couple of weeks when the BBC Multiplex moves frequency my recordings of the BBC channels will go via Satellite until I get around to retuning.

If they were tied up, but the offered a multicast IPTV stream which was available on my ISP it could fall back onto that.

As for the CI slots - alas neither Sky or Virgin support them, but I believe people do have Sky working on such setups.

The huge capacity required for satellite would mean that DVB-T wouldn't offer enough space - DSAT is 10700MHz to 12700 MHz x 2 (i.e. 4GHz capacity) vs DTTV which is between approx 400 and 800Mhz (i.e. DSAT has ten times the capacity of DTTV*) This pretty much illustrates why IP delivery is the more practical way of doing it!

* in a closed system - in an OTA model DTTV has about 70MHz of capacity from any one transmitter.

Fitting the best of FTA satellite and DTT channels re-modulated onto DVB-T2 slots though, might work.
    Once you have the few HD channels sorted out, which I think is currently 5 (BBC 1 HD, BBC2 HD, ITV HD, Channel 4 HD and NHK World HD), you then have about 705 SD channel spaces in OK quality maybe more if you pack them in.
    It would be limited but it would work, also if you want radio channels then it would most likely fill up the remaining channel numbers, as they could be packed in real tight! If you then add in smart TV capabilities (not in the first box but in the downstream box at the TV), then your FTA TV viewing could be quite large!
  • Options
    24 Carat Sirius24 Carat Sirius Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Why could Dave Ja Vu have just been called something like Dave +1? :confused:
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Why could Dave Ja Vu have just been called something like Dave +1? :confused:

It was originally called Dave+1 and changed to Dave Ja Vu (a wordplay on Déjà vu - French for "already seen") on 24th Feb 2009.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    It was originally called Dave+1 and changed to Dave Ja Vu (a wordplay on Déjà vu - French for "already seen") on 24th Feb 2009.
    It makes it stand out from the endless drones of +1 channels around, and quite clever really
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    According to wiki, Dave Ja Vu is ending in June on Channel 25. Does anyone know anything more about this? Is it moving or going? Whats replacing it?

I suppose a lot of people will be pleased we are getting rid of a +1!

I hate +1hour channels.. get rid of them, make space for new channels..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »

I knew what the word means.. I didn't know it is French..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psouth wrote: »
    I hate +1hour channels.. get rid of them, make space for new channels..

Oh please list these many new channels actually wanting to join freeview should the space be made available. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    Oh please list these many new channels actually wanting to join freeview should the space be made available. :rolleyes:

UKTV Drama for one. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't have a PVR or catch up via the internet etc. plus one channels can be very handy but I must admit I don't think we should have more than ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5 as plus one services on the one hand but equally it's not as if there are lots of new services vying for space, not that I am aware of from reading other threads, due to cost etc. so the plus one services fill up space and can be as I say useful. Dave Ja Vu was cleverer than the rest by the name and certainly sticks out from the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKTV Drama for one. :)

No, that already has space.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    No, that already has space.
    Yes, the space currently occupied by Dave Ja Vu, which is where we came in!