Why SHOULDNT you refer to someone thats fat as fat?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
Forum Member
I dont get it, if its the truth then why cant you say someone is fat?

They know it, we know it, anyone with eyes would know it, so why is it such an offensive thing these days to say someone is fat?

Barring any medical issues causing it, then I dont see why you shouldnt be able to point it out. Its not bullying, its stating a fact! :confused:

Comments

• epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If everyone knows it, then why do you feel the need to point it out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone is black you call the black, if someone is gay you call them gay, so there is nothing wrong calling someone who is fat fat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »

They know it, we know it, anyone with eyes would know it, so why is it such an offensive thing these days to say someone is fat?

Barring any medical issues causing it, then I dont see why you shouldnt be able to point it out. Its not bullying, its stating a fact! :confused:

I find some people stupid by their actions, can I call them such? It is about being respectful and not hurtful. Some people are happy with fat, some not.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't call them porky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone is black you call the black, if someone is gay you call them gay, so there is nothing wrong calling someone who is fat fat.

Some people who are black do not like being called black and some people who are gay may prefer another term.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you want to go round telling people that they are fat? Don't you have anything better to do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    I find some people stupid by their actions, can I call them such? It is about being respectful and not hurtful. Some people are happy with fat, some not.

Yes, yes you can. You just say "Dont be stupid".

Its not about sparing feelings, I'm talking about not saying it directly to someones face, but more in a general sense. I dont get why people get offended on others behalfs by pointing out something thats obvious to anyone, not to be hurtful just as a reference...but apparently even that is unacceptable these days.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably nicer to be called fat, then a trip to the doctors who may call you obese.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member

Because it's rude? It's rude just to tell someone your opinion/views on how they look.

If I walked up to you in the street and said "You're ugly, you're disgusting, you should have plastic surgery," I'd not only be being rude, it'd be cruel. You might be model gorgeous or look like the back end of a bus, it's not my place to say.

You might think someones fat but unless they ask you, don't say anything.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people need to grow thicker skin IMO. But with the case of Jennifer Lawrence and a lot of other people in the entertainment business, I'm surprised they're labelled as 'fat'.
  • Time EraserTime Eraser Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    "hey black man"
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes you can. You just say "Dont be stupid".

Its not about sparing feelings, I'm talking about not saying it directly to someones face, but more in a general sense. I dont get why people get offended on others behalfs by pointing out something thats obvious to anyone, not to be hurtful just as a reference...but apparently even that is unacceptable these days.

Why not say it to their face?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

It is bullying and not very nice to the recipitent. Words hurt people and of course can lead to even poorer self concept and depression.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When describing someone to a third person it can be a bit tricky as in size, colour etc but if you do not intend hurt then most ills will be forgiven.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "hey black man"

Hi, How may I help you?:)
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do call some people fat, but I know them very well.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    For the same reason you don't tell someone who's ugly, that they're ugly. It's rude.
  • _kitty_kitty Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Fat people are always telling me to 'eat more' saying things like 'there's nothing of you' blah blah blah

If it's offensive to call a fat person fat, then it's offensive to call a thin person thin.

I steer clear of making personal remarks regarding someone's looks unless it's something complimentary.

:kitty:
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    If someone is obese they may be on weight reduction anyway which should be done steadily.
    The last thing they want to hear is about their weight.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed.

Im fat- I dont care if people say it, as it is a factual statement about my body, like saying a person has blonde hair. A factual statement about someone's physique.
    BUt I guess its all down to tone. If some one said "you're fat" in a really sneery tone then thats offensive, not just saying the words.
  • _kitty_kitty Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Some people need to grow thicker skin IMO. But with the case of Jennifer Lawrence and a lot of other people in the entertainment business, I'm surprised they're labelled as 'fat'.

It's mental the Jennifer Lawrence is called fat, she looks amazing and healthy
  • Time EraserTime Eraser Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    "You're so sex, I'm infatuated with you"

"You are?!"

"Yes, I am very attracted to people in fat situations"
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Possibly a fair point. We all have features we would prefer not to have attract insensitive comments. Ugly, bald, albino, anorexic, aspergers and so on and so on. If you choose to define people on appearance your choice but it does demonstrate your shallowness.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »

BUt I guess its all down to tone. If some one said "you're fat" in a really sneery tone then thats offensive, not just saying the words.

Totally agree.
    Some just want to be offensive for the sake of it.

We have three daves in our social circle, one is Dave, one is Lanky Dave and one is Fat Dave.
    None of them take offence as they are pet names.
    Lanky is about 6 foot 6 and very slim, Fat Dave was a big lad once but not now but the name has stuck.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member

I've seen many women called 'fat' when you probably couldn't pinch an inch of it on their body. Quite odd.