Forum Member

Comments

• HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Just been discussed on Radio 4 The World Tonight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who really gives a shit what he thinks. Another unelected member of the HoL.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Who really gives a shit what he thinks. Another unelected member of the HoL.

Its because of that position,undeserved as it is that in relation to this it does matter.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Carey writes in the Daily Mail that he has dropped his opposition to the Assisted Dying Bill "in the face of the reality of needless suffering"

Needless suffering is exactly what it it is. Lord Carey is correct, the myth of "the pain can be managed" is a wretched lie.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warned that by opposing reform, Church risks promoting 'anguish and pain'
    Translated means that they're terrified of ruining their image (the one that's already tainted with nastiness).

Edit: I'd bet a large chunk of money that if any of the cardinals at the Vatican were experiencing what people who want to die because of the pain they go through, or the fact that they're a vegetable, they'd sharp change their minds on this.
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assisted suicide is really murder with a more acceptable name. I'm surprised at George Carey's stance on this. He is a Christian, isn't he?
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zackai48 wrote: »
    Assisted suicide is really murder with a more acceptable name. I'm surprised at George Carey's stance on this. He is a Christian, isn't he?
    And that is even scarier.

The motive offered is if a medic is killing someone "out of love".

Remind anyone of this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_T4
    Although officially started in September 1939, Action T4 might have been initiated with a sort of trial balloon.[24] In late 1938, Adolf Hitler instructed his personal physician Karl Brandt to evaluate a family's petition for the "mercy killing" of their blind, physically and developmentally disabled infant boy. The boy was eventually killed in July 1939.[25] Hitler instructed Brandt to proceed in the same manner in similar cases.[26] The Reich Committee for the Scientific Registering of Hereditary and Congenital Illnesses was established on 18 August 1939, three weeks after the killing of the mentioned boy. It was to prepare and proceed with the registration of ill children or newborns identified as defective. Secret killing of infants began in 1939 and increased after the war started. By 1941, more than 5,000 children had been killed.[27]

Along with vilifying the poor and weak - we now have a fascist government - everything they're doing is straight out of the Nazi playbook.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, this thread sure Godwin'd up fast.

If assisted suicide were legal I hope there'd be some sort of safeguards to prevent people being "suicided" against their will by unscrupulous relatives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly not murder, but hopefully the last criminality aspects of it will be removed.

I don't think its Christian to sit back and see a loved one go through needless suffering. What sort of monster would think that?:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Wow, this thread sure Godwin'd up fast.

If assisted suicide were legal I hope there'd be some sort of safeguards to prevent people being "suicided" against their will by unscrupulous relatives.

A proper debate would be welcome but unfortunately its too much of a political hot potato to allow the MPs to have a proper debate.

Euthanasia and assisted suicide occurs up and down the country day in and day out, but rather than being open and up for scrutiny, its done behind closed doors with nods and winks between the person dying. the health care professional and the family. We need to PROTECT people and the only way to do that is to have a formal legal procedure.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well no its not
    And yes he is a Christian who doesn't want to see a few suffering because we treat animals better than humans. These people who are REALLY in constant pain, but being forced to endure it for as long as possible are really in desperate need for a change in the law.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother responding to Zackai48. They turn up in any thread about gay people, abortion or euthanasia to post some hardliner nonsense but reappears to actually discuss.

Anyway, having some sort of mechanism to allow people the choice to end their life in situations of constant agony is only sensible.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a difference between assisted suicide and the murder that we see being reported about on the news, and that difference is that the person's giving their complete permission for their loved one to kill them/release them from their suffering/miserable existence of a life. It's very easy for the top ones in the Church to be against this, but I bet they wouldn't be against this if they were in that very position. They make me sick!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    There's a difference between assisted suicide and the murder that we see being reported about on the news, and that difference is that the person's giving their complete permission for their loved one to kill them/release them from their suffering/miserable existence of a life. It's very easy for the top ones in the Church to be against this, but I bet they wouldn't be against this if they were in that very position. They make me sick!

I'm sorry, but the taking of a life in my opinion is murder-no matter if the person losing his/her life agrees to it. To make this legal is a big mistake.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what former England football manager Graham Taylor thinks about EU fishing quotas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother responding to Zackai48. They turn up in any thread about gay people, abortion or euthanasia to post some hardliner nonsense but reappears to actually discuss.

Anyway, having some sort of mechanism to allow people the choice to end their life in situations of constant agony is only sensible.

Nice of you to mention me-though you forgot to say that as well as my Christian views I was also anti EU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but the taking of a life in my opinion is murder-no matter if the person losing his/her life agrees to it. To make this legal is a big mistake.

Lol. So is someone who commits suicide considered a murderer in your eyes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Lol. So is someone who commits suicide considered a murderer in your eyes?

I have never given that much thought, but I suppose it is the taking of a life, so must be murder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never given that much thought, but I suppose it is the taking of a life, so must be murder.

Lunacy.

Does this only apply to human lives?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Well, in that case, it's an acceptable form of murder in my eyes, and should receive no punishment. If I get to a point where I am in unbearable pain, and I want someone to kill me to stop my abject misery, I don't want people to be delaying that action because they are worried about legal consequences.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But do medical advances not prolong life beyond what is natural? It could be considered just as wrong to prolong suffering for the sake of 'medical' intervention and not in the interests of the needs of the patient.

Sometimes, we have accept the inevitable, we all die eventually. We could withdraw all medication for a long lasting, painful end or let somebody go peacefully and with dignity.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but the taking of a life in my opinion is murder-no matter if the person losing his/her life agrees to it.

So that makes the Christian god the greatest murderer of them all?
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    But do medical advances not prolong life beyond what is natural? It could be considered just as wrong to prolong suffering for the sake of 'medical' intervention and not in the interests of the needs of the patient.

Sometimes, we have accept the inevitable, we all die eventually. We could withdraw all medication for a long lasting, painful end or let somebody go peacefully and with dignity.

There was an interesting debate about reform of the NHS on R4 earlier this week. One surprising statistic that came out of it was that in recent years in the US, considerably more than 50% of the entire health industry spend was on the palliative care and attempts to extend life in the last 3 months of patient's lives. So, having spent a lot of money on health research and treatments to increase life-expectancy, we are now spending even more on the pointless, final push for a bit more, irrespective of how pain-free or meaningful the patient's life has become
    And yet the slightest suggestion of letting medicine actually bring someone's life to a pain-free conclusion, or just letting nature take its course, is derided as fanciful or even amoral. Lawsuits even arise of out perceived failures to keep loved ones going just that little bit longer!
    I swear, we are screwing ourselves over as a society.
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    So that makes the Christian god the greatest murderer of them all?

It's as if there's one set of rules for him and another set of rules for everyone else! >:(
    Well, I'm sorry, I'm an egalitarian, and believe God/Yahweh/Allah/Buddah or any of these other self-proclaimed deities should get exactly the same treatment as the rest of us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    There was an interesting debate about reform of the NHS on R4 earlier this week. One surprising statistic that came out of it was that in recent years in the US, considerably more than 50% of the entire health industry spend was on the palliative care and attempts to extend life in the last 3 months of patient's lives. So, having spent a lot of money on health research and treatments to increase life-expectancy, we are now spending even more on the pointless, final push for a bit more, irrespective of how pain-free or meaningful the patient's life has become
    And yet the slightest suggestion of letting medicine actually bring someone's life to a pain-free conclusion, or just letting nature take its course, is derided as fanciful or even amoral. Lawsuits even arise of out perceived failures to keep loved ones going just that little bit longer!
    I swear, we are screwing ourselves over as a society.

It's cruel to both the patients and their families.

I used to work with the terminally ill and it was heartbreaking to see people go on longer than they had the strength, will or energy to do. They had accepted that they were dying, and towards the end many neither know not care anyway. Death was a relief in most cases, for the loved ones too. There is no doubt that there is a line crossed often over when extending life goes too far.

If allowing someone to die is wrong, then surely so is extending life far beyond what is natural.

Murder is to rob someone if a life. When there is no life to speak of and death is inevitable and close, it's a very different subject.