Apple and Samsung call off legal disputes in 8 nations

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Apple and Samsung have called off legal disputes in 8 nations and will instead concentrate their battles in the USA instead. How long this ceasefire lasts remains to be seen....

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/06/apple_samsung_call_of_patent_disputes_outside_usa/

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all honesty I cannot see this lasting that long, both companies have new devices coming out in the next couple months. No doubt Samsung will release a feature that Apple didn't invent but nicked from another company & passed off as their own, and visa versa where Apple release a feature that Samsung or another company made years ago. These patent wars between both companies will go on beyond my lifetime & keep lawyers in business.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple have been the making of the Samsung brand. Was: Samsung=boring.

Now it's the plucky underdog, fighting the good fight against the evil empire.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Considering the forthcoming Galaxy Grand is a virtual design knockoff of the iPhone 5 I'm also sceptical of them staying out of the courts in the future.

Pics here:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/samsung-galaxy-alpha-to-feature-iphone-like-chamfered-edges-photos/
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not too sure about that.

Seems the public have been trained that small grey duller screen are better than vibrant OLED ones that actually show true blacks whilst signal attenuation in metal phones is good.
    All because greys and heavy metal is not boring.

No wonder Apple is only going to action its patents in the US. They are all mainly patriotic bull that do not pass muster anywhere else.
    Its a right laugh when people report phablets looking like, well like a big smartphone.
    Whatever will they think of next, a car that looks like, well a car?
    :rolleyes:
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Not too sure about that.

Seems the public have been trained that small grey duller screen are better than vibrant OLED ones that actually show true blacks whilst signal attenuation in metal phones is good.
    All because greys and heavy metal is not boring.

No wonder Apple is only going to action its patents in the US. They are all mainly patriotic bull that do not pass muster anywhere else.
    Its a right laugh when people report phablets looking like, well like a big smartphone.
    Whatever will they think of next, a car that looks like, well a car?
    :rolleyes:

That's right Alan. People have been brainwashed, conned and tricked by Apple.

It couldn't just be that, you know, some people just prefer screens that aren't, in their opinion, over matured and a little on the garish side.

No, it can't be that. It must be that Apple have somehow brainwashed people.

This in a nutshell sums up the difference sides of a lot of these discussions. One side can't quite seem to get their head around the idea that not everyone shares their tastes or preferences, but instead reach the frankly irrational conclusion that Apple have somehow brainwashed people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most info shows people really prefer saturated eye popping colours, a big contrast to the mantra.
    Thus that Vita was OLED(the cheapo one is not OLED) and virtual reality headsets are adopting OLED too.

I'd even go as far as to suggest that many a persons TV is set to 'Dynamic' for better affect. It is quite irrelevant now anyway, as Apple ceased using high end displays on most of their gadgets ages ago.

BTW it is not Apple doing the brainwashing, it is most of those in the self serving media who flatter to deceive.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to, or are none the wiser on how to setup their TV's.

I thought the mantra was AMOLED are the best screens - I don't agree personally and always try to get IPS screens if possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    ..I don't agree personally and always try to get IPS screens if possible.

You have little choice but to, they are too expensive for general use.
    When that AMOLED 15" TV came out it was over £1000 so near no one bought it.

Contrast that to an IPS 15" TV, it is well below £100 now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look, 'tested at £1700'.
    http://www.whathifi.com/lg/15el9500/review

"Whites are amazingly punchy, and the colour gamut… well, we've not seen better. This might only be a 15in panel, but the picture is wonderful,"
    "The viewing angle is incredible, too – you can get up, walk right over to the corner of the room and still make out the picture perfectly with no apparent deterioration in its quality."
    "is LG generates the deepest blacks of any display we've ever seen – including our reference Pioneer Kuro plasma."

Sadly, with Samsung making them too, it is simply not worth having.
    :eek:
    I'd strongly suggest, our thoughts and words are simply a product of what we are repeatedly told, science seldom gets a look in.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have little choice but to, they are too expensive for general use.

Well the PVA's screens sold by Samsung and Sony in the majority of their TV's are far worse than IPS by Panasonic and LG IMHO. But everyone has different eyes.

All I know is I really really regreted buying a samsung TV with PVA panel and made the mistake again buying a sony in the sales. Didnt do my homework doh :-( The internet says I should love Samsungs TV Screens - But I don't... my eyes must be faulty.

But I was referring to phones re: my amoled - ips preference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well PVA is better for black so being slightly cheaper to make why use IPS?
    So you get a better viewing angle with IPS but more people will hate it.

Does PVA still prevail? I suspect it could be lower power too.
    So that superior contrast and black from the Samsung is not there in your PVA?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most info shows people really prefer saturated eye popping colours, a big contrast to the mantra.
    Thus that Vita was OLED(the cheapo one is not OLED) and virtual reality headsets are adopting OLED too.

I'd even go as far as to suggest that many a persons TV is set to 'Dynamic' for better affect. It is quite irrelevant now anyway, as Apple ceased using high end displays on most of their gadgets ages ago.

BTW it is not Apple doing the brainwashing, it is most of those in the self serving media who flatter to deceive.

I'm sure plenty of people do prefer OLED. I am not disputing that.

I am disputing your assertion that people who buy iPhones would also prefer it, were it not for them being brainwashed into thinking otherwise.

I don't understand why, given a choice of:

a. people have legitimate different tastes or preferences to you, or even most people.

b. people have somehow been brainwashed by Apple and / or the media.

You plump for b. every time.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it is a good move from Samsung to concentrate on disputes in US. Americans can be "patriotic" when they have to decide between US and foreign company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    ...I am disputing your assertion that people who buy iPhones would also prefer it, were it not for them being brainwashed into thinking otherwise...
    Likely so. With Samsung having the top 2 selling phones in Germany and France I'd also suggest that language barrier maybe helps people with balance, though likely Germans are more tech savvy anyway.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/03/ps-vita-slim-what-a-difference-a-screen-makes/
    “When you don’t have the old and new Vita screens running side by side, the Vita screen stands out in its own right. It’s still an incredible display.”

Quite amazing considering that those older AMOLED screens have been improved on massively since then. If the old one is so incredible what dos that say about the highly improved S5 one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest it Apple continuing the lucrative US dispute.
    They own the US market whilst they get near totally ignored in places like Germany.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Likely so. With Samsung having the top 2 selling phones in Germany and France I'd also suggest that language barrier maybe helps people with balance, though likely Germans are more tech savvy anyway.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/03/ps-vita-slim-what-a-difference-a-screen-makes/
    “When you don’t have the old and new Vita screens running side by side, the Vita screen stands out in its own right. It’s still an incredible display.”

Quite amazing considering that those older AMOLED screens have been improved on massively since then. If the old one is so incredible what dos that say about the highly improved S5 one?

So just to be clear here Alan.

It is your assertion that when someone says they prefer a screen that isn't, in their opinion, over saturated, or a bit garish for their taste or preference...

...you don't believe that to be a legitimate personal preference, but rather one that has only been arrived at through some sort of brainwashing by Apple and / or the media?

Is that really what you are saying?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....... only been arrived at through some sort of brainwashing by Apple and / or the media?...
    Is that really what you are saying?
    It is the public reciting the mantra. Its much less so now in that we now have people defending/telling the people it is not a mantra of what they have been told

But I'm sure some really prefer a trueness ahead of dynamic vibrancy, especially those interested in the finer arts. It just happens to be a minority.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is the public reciting the mantra. Its much less so now in that we now have people defending/telling the people it is not a mantra of what they have been told

But I'm sure some really prefer a trueness ahead of dynamic vibrancy, especially those interested in the finer arts. It just happens to be a minority.

What mantra? Who keeps repeating this mantra?

And if this mantra is all around us, brainwashing people everywhere, why isn't everybody being brainwashed and buying iPhones?

Is it that people like you are stronger willed and not susceptible to this brainwashing, but others are less fortunate?

It all sounds a bit sinister and conspirational if I'm honest.

Are you sure its not just possible that people have different preferences to you?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Language and tech savvy. I wonder what the best selling smartphone in Japan is.

Great thread, some just don't know when to stop 'guessing'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, which data are you using?

They fell 85%, obviously because they had a record sales blip when it arrived there for contract buyers 5 or so years late !
    Japan had close to 20% of world iPhone sales. Add Japan, the US, GB and the Aussies and you must get over to 80% of world sales from only 4 countries.

Apparently Sony has most of the market in Japan.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    What mantra? Who keeps repeating this mantra?

perhaps this one.
    So just to be clear here Alan.
    It is your assertion that when someone says they prefer a screen that isn't, in their opinion, over saturated, or a bit garish for their taste or preference...

given the universal acceptance of the quality of the s5 screen :)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    That's right Alan. People have been brainwashed, conned and tricked by Apple.

It couldn't just be that, you know, some people just prefer screens that aren't, in their opinion, over matured and a little on the garish side.

No, it can't be that. It must be that Apple have somehow brainwashed people.

This in a nutshell sums up the difference sides of a lot of these discussions. One side can't quite seem to get their head around the idea that not everyone shares their tastes or preferences, but instead reach the frankly irrational conclusion that Apple have somehow brainwashed people.

One side? Your kidding right?!!! :D
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Well the PVA's screens sold by Samsung and Sony in the majority of their TV's are far worse than IPS by Panasonic and LG IMHO. But everyone has different eyes.

All I know is I really really regreted buying a samsung TV with PVA panel and made the mistake again buying a sony in the sales. Didnt do my homework doh :-( The internet says I should love Samsungs TV Screens - But I don't... my eyes must be faulty.

But I was referring to phones re: my amoled - ips preference.

Not always. I bought a Panasonic 3d telly least year and the screen was simply awful. Apparently it had an lg screen in it. Took it back and got another Samsung and it's superb.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, which data are you using?

The latest HCST data available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is cryptic enough to be 2013
    :eek: