Sony amplifier problem

Hi all.

I have an 8 year old Sony amplifier that has developed a strange glitch. Occasionally I hear what sounds like a relay switching inside spontaneously. It does not affect the performance but I am wondering if it is the early signs of a major fault or whether it could be something simple like dust on the relay switches.

I am not knowledgeable on electronic equipment so any help or advice much appreciated.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

Comments

• fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What model amplifier? And when you say a noise lik a relay switching spontaneously, does it only do it once, or a number of times in succession? Is there any other equipment piled on top of the amplifier that might affect airflow?
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Hi there.

The amplifier is a TA-FB930R. It has 3 separate components sat above it. I have had 4 separates sat on it for years in the past with no problems.

Would restricted airflow affect relays? When the problem has happened before tapping the back of the amp would sometimes make the relay switch again, several times in succession on some occasions.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be a few things to be honest. That particular amp was the second generation of the QS series, and very well built, so I'd be surprised if it was anything fatal. Could be the speaker switching relays, although if it was I'd suggest the sound would go on and off as they clicked.

Is it definately a relay making the noise? Could it be that you are hearing the heat-sinks expanding or contracting as they heat up or cool down?

Airflow can have an effect on anything electronic. but amplifiers tend to be more prone as by their nature they tend to chuck out a lot of heat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    tried powering it on with nothing connected? or with minimum components to test it.
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Right, an update which may help.

I think the problem is with the knob that switches speakers, i.e. Speakers A, B, A+B ,off. The headphones work in all positions but yesterday when the relay was switching between A and B it was not switching smoothly (switching on and off very rapidly) and for a time there was no sound in the headphones.

Is this something as simple as a dirty contact or is it something a little more complicated?

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be the switch, although I can't quite see how it could cause the symptoms whilst in normal operation and you're not using the switch. :confused:

I'd be inclined to suggest that your best course of action is to take it to someone who can have a look at it properly in a workshop.