Fish Tank Causing TV Interference

Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Recently, I've been getting a lot of interference on my Freeview box and DAB Radio which basically makes it unwatchable. If watched on analogue, strips of white dots come on the screen and stay there for approx. 5 seconds.

Earlier, I was watching Freeview on mute and when the interference occurred, I heard a noise coming from the fish tank heater. When the noise stopped, the breakup stopped.

What do you suggest I do with the heater? Return it to the shop (we only got it last month) or try and do something with it myself?

However, even before we got the fish tank heater one of the other Freeview boxes in the house (just the one) had regular breakups (not nearly as bad as the status quo but still irritating). Could this be caused by another source or is the box just dodgy?

Help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Anthony

Comments

• comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had fishtanks for many years and gone through quite a few heaters, but I have never heard any one of them making a noise. If it's one of the usual internal test-tube type heaters then I suspect that the noise is being caused by the thermostat switch making poor contact and hence sparking continuously. It's the sparking which will then be causing the interference. If this is the case then it shouldn't be doing that and I would take it back or get a new one.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Antz wrote:

However, even before we got the fish tank heater one of the other Freeview boxes in the house (just the one) had regular breakups (not nearly as bad as the status quo but still irritating). Could this be caused by another source or is the box just dodgy?

Help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Anthony

The first thing to do is get a mains surge protector that includes rfi filtering, such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Surgemaster-Broadband-Arial-Protection/dp/B00009RIP9/sr=8-5/qid=1161698127/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/202-2536721-6774244?ie=UTF8

This will make sure nothing is coming through the mains, I always make sure my electronic equipment is protected this way. If it still does it then it will be airborne interference and you need to look for the source.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the electric eel. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bin your telly and just watch the fish.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cobson wrote:
    Bin your telly and just watch the fish.
    Better still, get rid of the fish tank and watch Aquavision on Artsworld HD. ;)

Have you had a look at Russ Andrews?

They cover everything from mains leads to conditioners.

http://www.russandrews.com/lookup/0/region/UK/currency/GBP/customer_id/PAA2478104306665WFLGWJKCEMPFEOGR/category-Mains-PMAIN.htm

I believe they do a money back guarantee
  • Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got in touch with Pets at Home and they said that they'll replace the heater so I'll probably go down later and see if it continues.

On the seperate issue, I think the Freeview box is just crap. It won't even go on anymore. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap Freeview box from?

Thanks for your help everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    dont buy a cheep one you'll only spend more money in the long run
  • meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the other Freeview box connected Are you using an a rooftop aerial? The interference you describe is a common problem with indoor aerials. Washing machines changing cycle and central heating boilers are notorious for interfering with indoor aerial signals; fortunately rooftop aerials are generally immune to this (unless you have faulty equipment!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Also cheap low quality coaxial cable could also cause problems. Double screened satellite grade coaxial cable could make a big difference in stopping interference.