Lack of GREAT male performers for this generation of music lovers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    It's an interesting topic because the new Michael Jackson album is out - the first album since he passed on - and it's hard to think of someone that's like a 21st century version of him (but without the weird stuff with the young boys and Bubbles the chimp!).

In the old days of pop you had flamboyant acts like Freddie Mercury, David Bowie, Elton John, Mark Bolan of T-Rex, Johnny Rotten from the Sex Pistols. Holly Johnson from Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Boy George from Culture Club. You don't get male singers like that in 2010! :D

Ain't that the truth !
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie Cullum is bloody amazing :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And don't forget Will Young, an exceptional male performer, who has 9 years in the business and his 6th album out in the spring;) He gives fabulous live performances on his tours;) Can't wait for his next one:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »

gosh, forgot about him, love his music! :)
  • batman.batman. Posts: 8,906
    Forum Member
    Bruno Mars!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »

He is? hadn't noticed
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Male singers never do as well. Mika did really well with his first album, and then people lost interest and 2nd album bombed.
    Nowadays its hard to be a male singer and be liked by both men and women as men would not buy something of a male artist as people would think they are gay. Getting the balance right is the hard part, justing timberlake did well with getting the right amount of women and male fans.
    Enrique, not so good.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    He is? hadn't noticed

Yes, he is. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thom Yorke off of Radiohead continues to amaze, as does Robert Smith ( The Cure) & Win Butler (Arcade Fire)

Wouldn't Thom and Robert be of a previous generation though? I love AF but I wouldn't put Win in this category.
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Just a few that I didn't see mentioned have lasted some distance and are still growing strong Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Zach de la Rocha, Bono, Jon Bon Jovi, Julian Casablancas and Nick Cave all great front men.

Can't believe I forgot Julian and Nick!
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ben_122 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot Julian and Nick!

Tsk Tsk shame on you! :cool:
  • rosiedevonrosiedevon Posts: 7,707
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    Right this is going to take some explaining. And many might not agree with assessment but then this is digital spy... Nuff said. :D

I don't think it takes a genius to notice that for this generation of music lovers/observers... There have a ton of great (well that word depends on whether you think they are great but hey) female performers...

Lady Gaga- hit or miss for some. But hey, not since the advent of Madonna has a female singer reached her height of celebrity so fast... In fact, I think she's surpassed mere 'celebrity' status a year ago... She is kind of becoming... well... an "icon" for some.

Same with Beyonce I guess.... Britney... Amy Winehouse Etc.

Whetever you might think of these women musically... and there are plenty more female artist that I haven't mentioned that have made a thumping impact in the last ten years... is all subjective. But if we are to be objective here, and lets try ;) , then you have to admit male performers have not stepped up a level in terms of.... Oh how can I put it.... Making themselves become something more than just a singer... or a guitar player... Basically they've not been great performers.

Now there have been plenty of great male singers and song writers etc.... But as I have alluded to, you need something more than that to last the distance. I mean you just have to look to the 60s and 70s... Elvis, Jimmy Hendrix, Elton John.... Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones), and of course... of course... David Bowie. And even the 80s for my generation Michael Jackson... Prince... even Boy George. There was something about these male performers... Well first there were all f**king crazy... Which for some is turn off.. but lets face it, its the bloody crazy misfits that make the best music. I guarantee your all time musical icon is a crazy nut, I guarantee it lol. They all had a level of theatricality about them, they were larger than life. And theatricality by it self is not enough, but what seemed to have validated their eccentricity is the fact that they were all BLOODY TALENTED. I mean it was everything put together... the image... the music... the song writing.... Everything. They almost seem... and they still do for me... they seem untouchable... Like us petty mortals can't go near them Lol.

Nowadays with male singers... Well... they either sing with a guitar on a stool. Or they branch out a little and dance like Michael Jackson lol. Or they sing with a high falsetto... And most of them have an unhealthy obsession with skinny jeans and matted long hair... I mean there really isn't much to distinguish them from their peers. IMO

There's such nothing special about them. They haven't got THAT.... THAT thing. They just don't seem larger than life... They seem quite boring... Like any other guy you'd see in the pub lol... And to be honest with you, I don't want to spend £50 to see an ordinary guy's concert at the o2... I want to see something bigger... You know.

I mean... Female singers aren't perfect.... There are a lot of copycats out there... Rihanna etc. However, imo most of todays superstars seem to be overwhelmingly female. Its also interesting to note that a lot of these female performers... like Lady Gaga and Beyonce... of course they cite the usual female icons as their inspiration... but their main inspiration all seem to be those great male performers... Michael Jackson... David Bowie etc.... Which I think is interesting to note... Make of that what you will.

Also I understand eccentric music stars are not everyone's cup of tea... But it just seems to me that the overwhelming majority of male stars are boring... Neo... Pabalo Nutini.... oh gosh who else? ... Erm the rest of them escape me so that kind of proves my point doesn't it? I mean you wouldn't forget David Bowie now would you? LOL

There just needs to be a broader mix... I don't know... Maybe the record companies are afraid of signing larger than life male stars? Perhaps they think they wouldn't have a mass appeal... Or that they would alienate 'straight' men? Personally think thats a bunch of bs as Elton John hasnt done too badly has he now?

What do you guys think? Am I talking shit or do I kind of have a point here?

I mean the only male star that seems to be selling anything at the moment is Justin Bieber.... *shudders*

I suggest you google Adam Lambert especially Glam Nation Tour
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    OP, I felt the same way, there was indeed a vacuum in the male pop industry, but as previous posters has pointed out, Adam Lambert is here now :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Would like to see a "MAN" male singer/performer....where have all the MEN gone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    gertrude wrote: »
    And don't forget Will Young, an exceptional male performer, who has 9 years in the business and his 6th album out in the spring;) He gives fabulous live performances on his tours;) Can't wait for his next one:D

Yes quite right,fab fab singer.Can sing in any genre and is outstanding live.Great accoustic performer too.Love him
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Lawn wrote: »
    Would like to see a "MAN" male singer/performer....where have all the MEN gone!

Please let us know when you've arrived in the 21st century.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely agree with this. :D

The trouble is that Radio 1 in its infinite wisdom chooses to play rubbish and so people miss out on decent singers. If you are not in a play list you have no chance! Or so I've read on here!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christian Burns great singer/songwriter heading for big things in 2011 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7WR_Jw_Mg
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    There are a lot of great male performers out there, they're just not as big as the female entertainers.

People are saying Bruno Mars, Adam Lambert, Will Young, and they are great, but if you put them beside the biggest of the female performers, such as GaGa, then they fade in comparison.

As I've expressed on another thread, male performers developing themselves as visually as females just doesn't sell any more.

If I was to mark out some of the biggest solo male performers of the last decade, I would say Kanye West, Justin Timberlake, and... well, they're the only ones that might be able to match the star power of female artists such as GaGa, Beyonce, P!nk, Britney, Rihanna.

Outside of pop is where the magic really is for great male performers.:)
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Will Young always was a bit of a one off, certainly not your stereotyped pop star. He's primarily a singer extraordinaire and his live shows are hugely entertainly with his hilarious annecdotes, his energy and of course, his note perfect singing. It annoys me that Buble gets all the big TV gigs etc whilst British Will is largely left in the sidelines.

Lambert is much more the glitzy pop star, and he also can sing amazingly well. If he hadn't been tainted with the 'reality show' gig I think he would have been much bigger in the UK by now.

Otherwise you have the hugely talented Cullum's and Damien Rice's and Bellamy's, but none of these chase the pop scene, and have far more credibility than most of the pop females. Reality show females seem to get away with it much more than the males, it's almost like females are not expected to be credible, which is actually very sexist, and not helped by the semi nude and sexually provocative performances they feel they need to put on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot all about one of the greatest musicians in years.

Jack White.

He's got the charm, the charisma, the talent.

Everything.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or to put it another way there's a lack of male performers that the OP thinks are great
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Thom Yorke off of Radiohead continues to amaze, as does Robert Smith ( The Cure) & Win Butler (Arcade Fire)
    Yes! :)

Also, been mentioned but Matt Bellamy - bit of a kn0b but fantastic performer! :o
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scot Walker....
    Or Marc Almond... true greats! Marc Almond has made a fantastic body of work, though I've lost touch with his worrk at the end of the 90's. Hes written(and covered) amazing songs (his solo stuff is just as good as the Soft Cell work)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I was to mark out some of the biggest solo male performers of the last decade, I would say Kanye West, Justin Timberlake, and... well, they're the only ones that might be able to match the star power of female artists such as GaGa, Beyonce, P!nk, Britney, Rihanna.

Outside of pop is where the magic really is for great male performers.:)

I notie that all the artists you mentioned here are all American:(
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I notie that all the artists you mentioned here are all American:(

Rihanna is actually from Barbados