The Bridge BBC4 (UK pace) No spoilers!

Comments

• MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    There will be subtitles. Nearly all BBC programmes have them:p:D:D

I think our Danish/Swedish contributors have said before that the languages are similar. So they all understand each other?

My problem is- I won't be able to tell who is Swedish and who is Danish:o:o

Danish cops are Politi. Swedish are Polisen I think. But out of uniform????? I'll have to keep notes:D:D

BIB...why did I immediately think of major Blondie in the shower ;);)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsMR wrote: »
    BIB...why did I immediately think of major Blondie in the shower ;);)

'Cos that's the kind of mind you have:p:D:D

UK DVD released on 21st May( 3 Discer). Preorder price of £29 from Amazon. There will be a BR release as well- £39.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Bridge-BBC-Series-DVD/dp/B0072HTWQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335017196&sr=8-1

PS
    Already a Scandi DVD release out there. It has English subs as well, I think.
  • minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    There will be subtitles. Nearly all BBC programmes have them

I think our Danish/Swedish contributors have said before that the languages are similar. So they all understand each other?

My problem is- I won't be able to tell who is Swedish and who is Danish:o

Danish cops are Politi. Swedish are Polisen I think. But out of uniform????? I'll have to keep notes:D

Notepad at the ready!! :D Are you planning to do flow charts GrampsBK? :D
    I assume you got bail minkski?:D:D

That is why I never answer the phone early on a Saturday morning: bail applications :rolleyes:

I actually feel better than I ought to today, a bit tired that's all :cool: But it was fun meeting those Danish police last night: they wanted to know if we watched in Danish! I did forget to ask if we could work it out from the clues though :mad: But they did say it was very good :D

Seems I piqued the interest of my friend who shall also be watching it tonight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minkski wrote: »
    Notepad at the ready!! :D Are you planning to do flow charts GrampsBK? :D

That is why I never answer the phone early on a Saturday morning: bail applications :rolleyes:

I actually feel better than I ought to today, a bit tired that's all :cool: But it was fun meeting those Danish police last night: they wanted to know if we watched in Danish! I did forget to ask if we could work it out from the clues though :mad: But they did say it was very good :D

Seems I piqued the interest of my friend who shall also be watching it tonight

No flow charts, or coloured markers. But notepad? Most certainly.

MrsBK wants to watch with me tonight. Which will be fun. It's like having a kid in the car. Who's that? Where have I seen him/her before. etc etc.

PS
    Looks like I'm stuck with Gramps from now on?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There will be subtitles. Nearly all BBC programmes have them:p:D:D

Danish cops are Politi. Swedish are Polisen I think. But out of uniform????? I'll have to keep notes:D:D

These may help

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=135

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=289

Mind you it may not help as far as the subtitles go. Using Mentalbaldo as an example, the subtitles always have him being called Inspector whereas his rank in the Polizia di Stato is actually Commissario
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Verence.

Deja Vu or what?

That page will be one of my first ports of call if we ever get a programme from another country in the Euro-Crime slot.

I've said it before and I'll say it before, the various Euro-Crime have been educational as well as entertaining as we learn about the legal and political systems of the various countries
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Using Mentalbaldo as an example, the subtitles always have him being called Inspector whereas his rank in the Polizia di Stato is actually Commissario
    But sometime you hear his juniors calling him Dottore (Doctor). I know that in Italy anyone with a first degree can be called that but is it in this case a generic honorific similar to the British police calling their superior Guv'ner?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    But sometime you hear his juniors calling him Dottore (Doctor). I know that in Italy anyone with a first degree can be called that but is it in this case a generic honorific similar to the British police calling their superior Guv'ner?

Maybe it's a bit of banter
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member

Yes, I've noticed Catarello always calls old Baldo "Dottore":)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind you it may not help as far as the subtitles go. Using Mentalbaldo as an example, the subtitles always have him being called Inspector whereas his rank in the Polizia di Stato is actually Commissario

Laure Berthaud in Spiral is a Captain. But the subs always call her an Inspector.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Valentino Rossi is nicknamed The Doctor. He has a degree as well. Not sure if the two are connected though. Apparantly calling someone Doctor is a huge sign of respect. Does this fit in with the character and his subordinates?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Being a fan of VR is how I knew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a fan of VR is how I knew.

Fan here as well. First saw him at Donington on a 125. You could tell straight away he was a class act.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that TV drama programmes should be entertaining, I'm hoping this won't be as depressing as some parts of previous Scandinavian contributions.
    No wonder they have such high suicide rates in some countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valentino Rossi is nicknamed The Doctor. He has a degree as well. Not sure if the two are connected though. Apparantly calling someone Doctor is a huge sign of respect. Does this fit in with the character and his subordinates?

I think that may just like a group of people nicknaming a member of their group "Professor" or "Prof" if they are seen to have more of an education than the rest.

A bit like Sergeant Major Williams in It Ain't Half Hot Mum calling Gunner Graham "Mr La Di Dah Gunner Graham"

(I realise referencing IAHHM does age me quite a lot!!)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that TV drama programmes should be entertaining, I'm hoping this won't be as depressing as some parts of previous Scandinavian contributions.
    No wonder they have such high suicide rates in some countries.

It’s the drama that reflects the reality rather than eps of Wallander and The Killing making our European cousins top themselves! Still, you’ve laid the foundations for a post-airing moan so......mission accomplished! :D

It’s a series where the central crime is people cut in half - You were expecting a comedy perhaps?

Perhaps Mentalbaldo would be more your speed - Sun, sand and skin?
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    It’s the drama that reflects the reality rather than eps of Wallander and The Killing making our European cousins top themselves! Still, you’ve laid the foundations for a post-airing moan so......mission accomplished! :D

It’s a series where the central crime is people cut in half - You were expecting a comedy perhaps?

He doesn't like Mentalbaldo either. Too light-hearted:D No pleasing him I'm afraid! Oh and it's subtitled so there'll be moaning about that too.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and on the subject of "Doctor", have you noticed how many times the deceased fathers of the poor Nigerian scammers all have that title?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    and on the subject of "Doctor", have you noticed how many times the deceased fathers of the poor Nigerian scammers all have that title?

Aren't a lot of them ex-Army Generals or Government ministers??

Although the one that fooled Olafur in Naeturvaktin was pretending to be a Prince
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Err..
    Who mentioned comedy?

Oh yes you did.

Anyway, why are you so concerned about what I think about a programme?

Makes no sense to me.

You're already moaning about someone else's opinion, or like some others, do you think that's your job?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't a lot of them ex-Army Generals or Government ministers??

Although the one that fooled Olafur in Naeturvaktin was pretending to be a Prince

Prince Benjamin.

Brings a grin to my face just typing it:D:D
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Danish sounds much more guttural/throaty than Swedish - the Swedes seem to roll their 'r's - it's definitely not so much from the back of the throat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danish sounds much more guttural/throaty than Swedish - the Swedes seem to roll their 'r's - it's definitely not so much from the back of the throat.

Linguistic ignoramus on the forecourt remember TLP

But I'll try my best, thanks very much.:)

So the Danes are the growlers??? And the Swedes purr:D:D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err..

The patronising “Err..”. Noted
    Who mentioned comedy?

Oh yes you did.

You invited the absurdism by getting in an early whine about other dark Nordic policiers not being “entertaining” enough. You set ’em up, I knock ”em down....
    Anyway, why are you so concerned about what I think about a programme?

You’re posting on an open forum, exchange of views/opinions.....blah di blah di blah....You know the rest by heart now surely?
    Makes no sense to me.

I imagine that’s a constant.
    You're already moaning about someone else's opinion, or like some others, do you think that's your job?

It’s worth highlighting your pre-airing grumbling just so we can refer back to it later but please, go ahead and upset all our expectations - Actually enjoy it! :D