Personal circumstances - a poll of sorts

tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
Forum Member
✭✭
I think what a great way to get a cross-country opinion on stuff. And particularly on the issues- Immigration, Education, NHS and all that in light of this forthcoming election. To make a more informed choice.

Q1) Has the rate of immigration affected your town/City/village adversely?

Q2) Do you have tuition fee debts, and does it adversely affect your life?

Q3) Do you work full-time, and struggle to make ends meet with costs. (Are rent prices too high in your area for instance?) Have you had to use a food bank?

Q4) How long have you had to wait for a doctor/ been on a waiting list?

Q5) Are you on a Zero hours contract? Do you agree with their abolition?

Probably a question about care but can't think what is best question if someone has one they can add.

This is just to try make a more informed decision on May. These parties argue about imaginaries, 'we've done this, we've done that' - when it's better subjective evidence.

Comments

• Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    1. No and even if it had nothing can be done to stop it, we are stuck with the EU for the foreseeable future.

2. No, I have no problem with tuition fees being charged.

3. Yes I work full time, I manage, rents are too high but they have been for 20 years and I have never needed to use a food bank.

4. I can only write with regard to my GP Surgery, I can usually get same day appointment if I call early, longest wait has been next day.

5. No and no some people are happy to be on zero hours contracts so they should not be abolished.

OP your questions seem left leading so vote labour.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I would say it's had a generally positive impact.

Yes I have debts and no it has little impact on my life.

Q3) Do you work full-time, and struggle to make ends meet with costs. (Are rent prices too high in your area for instance?) Have you had to use a food bank?

I work full-time, but don't struggle to make ends meet. I am a home owner. Having a double income with no kids makes life comfortable. I have never used a food bank.

I have always had same day Drs appointments at the local GPs surgery and have never been on a waiting list. Hospital appointments can take longer, for podiatry it can take a few weeks.

I work 2 jobs, one is a full-time hours contract, one is a zero-hours job where I just state my availability the month before. I wouldn't want the zero hours contracts to be abolished, as for a 2nd job it suits me. They are great for students and semi-retired folk also.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Q1)
    Has the rate of immigration affected your town/City/village adversely?........Probably

Q2)
    (a)Do you have tuition fee debts.........No,
    (b) and does it adversely affect your life?.....N/A

Q3) (a)Do you work full-time......No
    (b) and struggle to make ends meet with costs........No
    (c) (Are rent prices too high in your area for instance?)......Don't know
    (d) Have you had to use a food bank?...Only to give food

Q4)
    (a)How long have you had to wait for a doctor....varies
    (b)been on a waiting list?...N/A

Q5)
    (a)Are you on a Zero hours contract?.....No ( But have been )
    (b)Do you agree with their abolition?.....No, but they should be optional

Probably a question about care but can't think what is best question if someone has one they can add.
    OK. " Do you care about having a Labour government?".......Yes. The prospect frightens me with the leaders they have at the moment
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    Good question 6 Sulla.

6. Yes I'd care if labour were in power which is why I'm voting Tory this time.
  • Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

About week, my experience phoning the GP has been bad, the receptionist are rude,I think it's because I'm young so I'm not important, I'm not a priority.

I used to be on a zero hour contract, I don't know how I survived, I agree with the abolition, Employ people full time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

About week, my experience phoning the GP has been bad, the receptionist are rude,I think it's because I'm young so I'm not important, I'm not a priority.

I used to be on a zero hour contract, I don't know how I survived, I agree with the abolition, Employ people full time.

It would be stupid to ban them, when they suit so many people, plus not everybody wants to work full-time.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ha this thread is confusing isn't it. I meant DS maybe was a good sort of possible cross-analysis of people.
    Thanks for replies so far. Different than I expected, but everyone's different.
    I haven't decided who I'm voting yet.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    See question 4.

No

Yes I work full time, I get paid a decent amount so no struggling at this stage of my life, been there and done that in my younger days. Rental prices, I live in London so yeah!
    Never used a food bank

For appointments, yes up to one month which isn't acceptable to me, is to all to be blamed on immigration? Well no but it hasn't eased the issue.

No. As I understand it there will still be a place for ZHCs but the individual would have to be offered a contract after a period of time, yes I agree with this because essentially this is how ZHC should be worked. ZHC should be seen as a short term arrangement, not as a ongoing way of getting round employing peopIe. Although this will not suit people who WANT to be on a ZHC.

ZHC can be seen as a very attractive option for both the employer and the worker, it's not all doom and gloom as it's painted. If you can't afford to be on a ZHC you shouldn't be applying for this type of work in the first place.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    It would be stupid to ban them, when they suit so many people, plus not everybody wants to work full-time.

Absolutely. My mum works on a ZHC and she has the flexibility to move from one job to another to suit her. The point being she can afford this.

Some employers have really exploited their power and have given it such a bad name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ha this thread is confusing isn't it. I meant DS maybe was a good sort of possible cross-analysis of people.
    Thanks for replies so far. Different than I expected, but everyone's different.
    I haven't decided who I'm voting yet.

I'm not sure either, am thinking Labour or Libdem at the moment though, probably leaning more towards Labour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Q1. Dunno, genuine answer. It clearly does make a difference to people's lives but I don't feel I can give an informed answer to this really.

Q2. I have student debts but notice don't them :cool:

Q3. I work for myself and find making money to be pretty easy these days. If I wanted to make more I'd just scale up or add another string to my bow. If that didn't work I'd cut that off and try something else.

Q4. I have regular doctor appointments and have to get a repeat prescription. I expect to have to wait, or book a few days in advance at east, for my doctor appointments as I understand the need to keep a certain amount free on the day for people who need them and can't plan ahead.

Q5. Zero hours contracts sound like a shitty thing if you want the security of regular income. Don't know how anyone could survive with the knowledge that at best they're going to be getting a very low X amount. It's like all the risk of working for yourself with none of the reward.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish there was a website that asks a load of questions like the ones above, and then uses clever algorithms to decide which party you should vote for. I can't make my mind up :'(

That's a subtle hint for someone to make just such a website / app.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no to everything but 4 i just had to wait about six weeks for an "urgent" [dr`s quote] psych appointment that i normally would have to wait two weeks for.

edit: reread - zero hours contracts should be abolished. missed that first time.

rent prices are very high here.

not the rate of immigration but language students and tourism have affected here in many negative ways for residents.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No I don't think so

No

Yes, no (no) and no

All our appointments are same day, never been on a waiting list for anything

No and yes
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member

Q1) No

Q2) Yes I have - no it doesn't

Q3) Yes, I work full time. I don't struggle and never had to use a food bank

Q4) Depends on the nature of the problem I wish to see he doctor about. However I had a recent, potentially serious (fortunately not) health scare and things couldn't have moved faster.

Q5) I'm not, my wife was. It lead to a full time job changing to a career she pretty much wanted to follow so, no, I don't think they should be abolished.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes

No.

Full time, don't struggle, own my own home and have never even entertained the idea of using a food bank.

Last year, a couple of days for a GP appointment.

No I'm, not, and yes I do

:rolleyes:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1)N
    2)N
    3)N,N
    4) Always got an appointment on the day. Though I think I am lucky.
    5)N,N (I know of a number of people on these but they work in the leisure sector and there is too much volatility for a normal contract).
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    1) Yes.
    2) No, so no.
    3) Yes. No. Yes, but I own my own house so it doesn't affect me, personally. No.
    4) GP within a day. Hospital a year or more.
    5) No. Yes.

I look forward to seeing what the OP goes on to do with all the input that's been offered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    No to all questions apart from no. 4. The earliest non-urgent appt at my GP surgery is usually 2 - 3 weeks. But the wait for an ambulance in some parts of Wales is a disgrace. My husband died because there were no ambulances available - far too many queuing outside hospitals waiting to transfer patients.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member

I live in London; it was built on immigration.

Nope I was lucky enough to get a degree in the 70s

No I am retired with a couple of pensions that meet my needs.

Been a while since I went to the docs cannot recall any problem.

See above. Dreadful things 0 hour contracts but without organised labour employers will always find ways of exploiting people; legislation will make little difference.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what a great way to get a cross-country opinion on stuff. And particularly on the issues- Immigration, Education, NHS and all that in light of this forthcoming election. To make a more informed choice.

My particular town, no. However my home town, I believe it might have affected lower end job prospects. I wouldn't like to say how much as I don't know how much of what people claim is valid.

Yes and no it doesn't, its a relatively small percentage of my income.

I work full time, business owner and own a few small income making side projects. I don't struggle although have struggled in the past when my company hit a rocky patch. I've never been in the position of having to use food banks though.

I believe rents are far too high, if it reaches or exceeds an average mortgage then its too expensive. Additionally, a regular, basic family home should be easily affordable in any full time employment.

It takes up to 2 weeks to get an appointment with our doctor, which I think is unacceptable.

No I'm not, my OH is though as her employer is largely seasonal but she makes enough over the spring, summer and early autumn for it to balance out and be worthwhile.

I don't think they should be abolished as they do have a legitimate purpose such as erratic employer need - where without one, the position would not exist at all. This is something people often forget. If a zero hour contract didn't exist then that doesn't mean that the position would become full time, it could easily not exist at all.

In fact, I do worry a bit about zero hour contracts, there is a strong likelihood that some staff at my other halfs workplace could find themselves completely unemployed - and that could be my OH who finds herself without a job at all.

However I do believe that they should be better regulated and shouldn't be abused. I believe there should be a legitimate business case for using them.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

1) nope not at all
    2) nope and nope
    3) we have struggled in the past, were considering using food banks but couldn't afford to get to one
    4) my surgery is good, can ring on the morning and get an appointment that day, if you arent quick though then you wont get in and will have to wait till the next day or get a pre bookable appointment, if you want to pre bookable one you could be waiting 3-4 weeks
    5) nope never, I don't think they should be abolished as I can see the benefit of the for certain people IE students, people who want a second job etc but I don't think anyone should be forced to take a zero hour contract job
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Q1) Has the rate of immigration affected your town/City/village adversely? No

Q2) Do you have tuition fee debts, and does it adversely affect your life? No

Q3) Do you work full-time, and struggle to make ends meet with costs. (Are rent prices too high in your area for instance?) Have you had to use a food bank? No (rents are way too high in my area but I don't rent)

Q4) How long have you had to wait for a doctor/ been on a waiting list? A couple of weeks

Q5) Are you on a Zero hours contract? Do you agree with their abolition? No I'm not but I agree with their abolition
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is interesting looking at, but admittedly really limited scope of analysis. (Don't know audience of DS, and including an age range may have been an idea!)
    But common theme of the waiting lists. And 3 people say their town/city adversely affected by immigration but didn't explain!
    Anyway thanks for answers.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt you're going to get a full cross-section of replies - those who perhaps are full-time carers, rely upon benefits, etc (a topic which isn't really covered in your poll) may choose not to open up that kettle of fish for the criticism that could arise, and so limits the questions to those who are affected by the topics you polled. Of course, polls always lean in a certain direction anyway, that's the purpose of them :D

Q1) Has the rate of immigration affected your town/City/village adversely? Not adversely, no, as far as I can tell

Q2) Do you have tuition fee debts, and does it adversely affect your life? No/no

Q3) Do you work full-time, and struggle to make ends meet with costs. (Are rent prices too high in your area for instance?) Have you had to use a food bank? No (unless you count full-time carer to 3 ill/disabled people)/surely rents are high everywhere?

Q4) How long have you had to wait for a doctor/ been on a waiting list? My daughter had to wait 2 years from initial consultations to neuro-surgery for her epilepsy. In general though with regard to GP's, we have 2 walk-in clinics per day at my doctor's surgery, so you can go any day and walk in and see a doctor, it's a great, very well-run surgery with a myriad of additional clinics and even an x-ray machine.

Q5) Are you on a Zero hours contract? Do you agree with their abolition? No/Yes When I worked full-time employees were treated pretty fairly, with rights that were hard-fought-for. Contracts of employment meant something, nobody worked without one, stating what the employer's obligations were as well as the employee's, everybody knew where they stood, now things have moved backward and the employers' rights are all that matters. I guess it's what happens when there's more supply than demand, but I don't see zero hour contracts as ever being acceptable.

As for care, a question you didn't ask, I have a Dad recently diagnosed with cancer, who also has severe dementia, stuck in a hospital ward for over 3 weeks now as he cannot go home to live with my mother - who also has cancer and cannot care for him in a way he needs - but has nowhere else to go, so you have social services and the NHS trying hard to figure out who pays for him whilst he's in the hospital. Meanwhile there's no care in place for my mother, other than me, and nobody else giving 2 shits that she's in agony and can't walk more than 50 yards.

Probably a good thing you didn't ask about care :p Don't even get me started on Disability :o