Options

DVD connection problems

Hi all
I'm having probs connecting DVD to mums small bedroom TV. If I connect via Scart cable, then picture is in B/W even though I know DVD player and cable are fine. I assume scart input on TV is no good. Can't believe TV hasnt got a composite input so I cant connect there.There is VGA and HDMI input but no HDMI output on DVD player. Aargh!
So my ques is: Do I go composite out of DVD into VGA of TV (but I can only find comp to VGA adapters with female comps) or do I go composite to HDMI via adapter?
Thx for help, Pete

Comments

• Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the picture is black and white then the DVD player is sending S-video via the SCART but the TV only has Composite and RGB modes for that input.

Go in to the DVD player's set-up menu. Choose 'Picture Options' > Video Output > RGB. This should give you the best picture quality that SCART can deliver.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peteques wrote: »
    Hi all
    I'm having probs connecting DVD to mums small bedroom TV. If I connect via Scart cable, then picture is in B/W even though I know DVD player and cable are fine. I assume scart input on TV is no good. Can't believe TV hasnt got a composite input so I cant connect there.There is VGA and HDMI input but no HDMI output on DVD player. Aargh!
    So my ques is: Do I go composite out of DVD into VGA of TV (but I can only find comp to VGA adapters with female comps) or do I go composite to HDMI via adapter?
    Thx for help, Pete

As has been mentioned the most likely cause of this problem is one end is set to S-Video and the other end to Composite Video mode. S-Video over SCART uses the Composite wire for the black & white component. So if the DVD sends S-Video to a TV set to Composite the TV only sees the black & white signal and ignores the colour signal.

Cure is to set both ends to the same video mode, RGB is the best, S-Video next best and Composite the least best option

VGA is a RGB signal format so it is not a simple matter to connect Composite video to VGA without some form of signal conversion. You can get SCART to VGA leads but I have not had much joy getting them to work successfully. Although SCART can do RGB there are subtle differences between how SCART and VGA work that can make it less easy than it sounds to connect the two.

HDMI is digital and Composite is analogue so no bit of wire is ever going to connect the two. You will need some electronics in between.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If settings do not solve problem, then it is probably easier to just buy a new DVD player with HDMI. You can get one at Argos for £24.99.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,520
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You can get SCART to VGA leads but I have not had much joy getting them to work successfully.

That's because they aren't what they seem - they aren't for connecting 'VGA' to SCART, so won't work in that way. What they are for is connecting the RGB SCART output on a particular games console to a TV SCART socket - and this particular games console uses a VGA style socket for the RGB output.

So it's not VGA to SCART, it's SCART to SCART just with a different (non-standard) socket at one end.

I wonder how many people have been scammed in to buying these useless leads?.
  • Options
    petequespeteques Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thx all for your advice. The settings were the problem - changing to RGB didnt work - unsure why however changing to S-Video did - so thx again, Pete