Olly... (no bashing!)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,115
Forum Member
So, being an Olly fan I thought it'd be nice to have a positive thread (for a change) on here. :p No doubt it'll turn into the opposite given time, but the thought was there.. :p

I'm going to be honest, I'm concerned about him this week. :( He's clearly got the weakest song choices, on a week where he needed to be better than ever (good job, Simon - not)... It's not looking good IMO. :(

Saying that, I'll be voting as usual... I just hope everyone else does the same. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He started off as my clear second favourite behind Danyl.
    Now he is my third favourite behind Danyl and Lloyd after the last couple of weeks being a bit of a let down and Lloyd being so much improved.

But I adore Olly. I hope he can turn it back around this weekend. I think he will and he will get the bounce back vote anyway so hopefully will stay another week.

I want one of the three to win.
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Olly at all :p

But I will say that I think he should be having a right go at Simon for his song choices this week, because they're AWFUL, and that's probably not his fault. Particularly the Elton one, which is going to play up the worst side of him, I fear. :)

Pity for him.
  • unknown17unknown17 Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the only contestant i like now. I hope he does well with whatever he decides to do after the x factor. Olly is the best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,115
    Forum Member
    Eejit wrote: »
    I don't like Olly at all :p

But I will say that I think he should be having a right go at Simon for his song choices this week, because they're AWFUL, and that's probably not his fault. Particularly the Elton one, which is going to play up the worst side of him, I fear. :)

Pity for him.

Fair enough.

I do agree with you though. I was shocked, and disappointed, when I first heard of his song choices. However, I doubt he wants to start arguing with Cowell about his songs... hasn't helped the other contestants much has it? Especially in such a late stage of the competition. I just feel like it's a shame. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie841 wrote: »
    He's clearly got the weakest
    ...voice alongside Lloyd and Saturday Night will reveal his vocal and performance shortcomings. If you listen and look at this song in detail on YouTube by EJ you'll find its not covered much because its hard to sing/cover. Its only really been done by The Who and Nickelback who are both very adept rock performers and singers.

Could be a tactical move by Cowell to get him out ;)
    Forum Member
    Lydian wrote: »
    ...voice alongside Lloyd and Saturday Night will reveal his vocal and performance shortcomings. If you listen and look at this song in detail on YouTube by EJ you'll find its not covered much because its hard to sing/cover. Its only really been done by The Who and Nickelback who are both very adept rock performers and singers.

Could be a tactical move by Cowell to get him out ;)

Lloyd is by far the weakest singer left IMO. Olly isn't the BEST singer there... I've never said he was. However, he IS the best performer the show has...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he IS the best performer the show has...
    Ok, I have to tactically withdraw from the thread otherwise I subtley, but obviously, break your parenthesised rule when I start talking about how he dances in the same dad-at-a-wedding style every week and how if that constitutes good performing then every nightclub in the country at 2am on a Saturday morning is full of potential XFactor winners :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's he singing this week?
    Forum Member
    What's he singing this week?

Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting (Elton John) and Love Ain't Here Anymore (Take That).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting (Elton John) and Love Ain't Here Anymore (Take That).

Hit me with some lyrics, I've forgotten how both of those songs go.
    Forum Member

"Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayBnY-lV5AE

"Love Ain't Here Anymore" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4mXDNfu5Ys
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You wont forget them after Saturday ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The highest view count for a Take That vid' of 'Love Ain't Here Anymore' on YouTube is just 23,000!

In contrast, the vid' for Stacey's Take That song is over 6 million.

Olly has got the worst song of the series since Lucie went out with that Disney daftness.
    Forum Member
    You wont forget them after Saturday ;)

You don't like Olly (clearly obvious from your posts), yet you can't seem to keep away from this thread...? Interesting.
    Forum Member
    The highest view count for a Take That vid' of 'Love Ain't Here Anymore' on YouTube is just 23,000!

In contrast, the vid' for Stacey's Take That song is over 6 million.

Olly has got the worst song of the series since Lucie went out with that Disney daftness.

Like I said, both of his song choices are shocking. However, that's not exactly his fault... but no doubt he'll suffer for it.

Although of course "Rule The World" will have a higher view count... it's one of their most recent and most popular songs!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone was justified throwing a hissy fit with Simon over song choices (as Jamie and Danyl both have), it's Olly this week.
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't an opinion either way about Olly but OP if you put your thread in the appreciation section there wouldn't be any bashing. Unfortunately for you, you can't dictate whether people post negatively in your thread on the main X Factor board.
    Forum Member
    If anyone was justified throwing a hissy fit with Simon over song choices (as Jamie and Danyl both have), it's Olly this week.

Totally agree. However, it hasn't exactly done wonders for either Jamie or Danyl has it... so, I can't blame Olly for just wanting to do the best he can with them. He's not going to get on the wrong side of Cowell at such a late stage in the competition... is he?
    Forum Member
    lucky74 wrote: »
    I haven't an opinion either way about Olly but OP if you put your thread in the appreciation section there wouldn't be any bashing. Unfortunately for you, you can't dictate whether people post negatively in your thread on the main X Factor board.

Thanks for the advice...

I wasn't trying to 'dictate' to anybody. I simply said "no bashing" in the thread title as to make it clear the thread wasn't intended to turn that way... however, you'll also notice I stated I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up that way. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't like Olly (clearly obvious from your posts), yet you can't seem to keep away from this thread...? Interesting.

Interesting? Not really.

You judge too quickly. I dont mind the guy but in my opinion I'd say he's going backwards. Like the 400m runner who sprints out of the blocks Olly got a good start but I think he's being caught on the home straight as his routine runs out of puff.

However, my main point is that he's been given poor song choices. Why? Maybe because SyCo now thinks that Danyl is actually the one to back and can only improve in the competition given the torrid past few weeks and better song choices moving forwards. Olly is an ok performer (confident but his moves are hackneyed as described) with an ok voice (not a great range or control) but he's not doing anything different over the past few weeks - so he's either peaked too soon or he's being put on a flightpath out by Simon.

Thats not bashing, just my opinion, keep or sweep.
    Forum Member
    However, my main point is that he's been given poor song choices. Why? Maybe because SyCo now thinks that Danyl is actually the one to back and can only improve in the competition given the torrid past few weeks and better song choices moving forwards. Olly is an ok performer (confident but his moves are hackneyed as described) with an ok voice (not a great range or control) but he's not doing anything different over the past few weeks - so he's either peaked too soon or he's being put on a flightpath out by Simon.

Thats not bashing, just my opinion, keep or sweep.

Fair play, and I apologise for assuming you didn't like the guy.

Wasn't going to suggest for a second you were 'bashing' there, if anything, I agree with you. Especially about Cowell... unfortunately, I think he wants rid of Olly, for whatever reason he has... As I said myself, he's the only contestant this year I'm bothered about and I truly think he's in trouble this weekend. Obviously I'd love him to have the "performance of the night" etc. but I'm not naive enough to think that'll happen.
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's my least favourite but, to be fair, a woman at work told me today that she used to work with him and she had nothing but praise for him and the lengths he went to to help people. So, on the basis of personal recomendation - he may still not do it for me as a singer but he sounds like an all-right guy, so I'll no longer be p*ssed off if he wins. I'd still rather see Joe win it though!
    Forum Member
    mirandaweb wrote: »
    He's my least favourite but, to be fair, a woman at work told me today that she used to work with him and she had nothing but praise for him and the lengths he went to to help people. So, on the basis of personal recomendation - he may still not do it for me as a singer but he sounds like an all-right guy, so I'll no longer be p*ssed off if he wins. I'd still rather see Joe win it though!

Aw, that's a nice thing to read on here. :D

Plus, I don't think you have any worries regarding Joe... I've no doubt he'll win the show, I've thought that from the beginning. :)
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear for Olly this weekend too :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play, and I apologise for assuming you didn't like the guy.

Wasn't going to suggest for a second you were 'bashing' there, if anything, I agree with you. Especially about Cowell... unfortunately, I think he wants rid of Olly, for whatever reason he has... As I said myself, he's the only contestant this year I'm bothered about and I truly think he's in trouble this weekend. Obviously I'd love him to have the "performance of the night" etc. but I'm not naive enough to think that'll happen.

No worries Katie :cool:

Yes I think the public vote changed everything last weekend. As the competition now turns "serious", i.e. now J&E have gone, he's going to back who he thinks a) is more popular and b) who can record an album and sell well here and posibly in the US.

He was probably with Olly on a) before last week but probably not now and was probably always with Danyl on b), so if its Danyl now for a) and b), he's not going to give Olly the best songs moving forwards. And this is what we have now seen so we can safely probably assume that Simon has picked his own stable winner. Personally, I do think Danyl offers a stronger recording artist option than Olly and Simon is a man ultimately motivated by $ signs - plus Olly doesnt offer potential success in the US. Danyl, out of all this years contestants, does.

However, who knows what will happen this weekend, it could all change again. But Simon has clearly sought to pre-determine the outcome by loading the dice in Danyl's favour although I would say Danyl has probably deserved renewed focus after the past few weeks. If Olly can give a rousing rendition of Saturday Night then he's in business.

Finally, its not that Saturday Night is a 'bad' song, its one of my fave EJ ones, but its a technically hard song to cover and therefore probably a bad song choice for Olly.