Options

Fairytale of New York

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this really the best ever christmas song, or does everyone think it is because its bigged up as the best by radio one?

I dont see the attraction, but every year it enters the charts again, havent people got it already?

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - can't help as it is by far my fave Christmas song. I love it :o:D
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO, yes, it is the best ever Christmas song. It's got a beautiful intro and tells a wonderful story that somehow perfectly captures the Christmas spirit. Add to my vote the poster above and countless others and you've got a pretty good contender for Best Christmas Song Ever. That doesn't mean it's compulsory to like it though :D.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    As a fan of both the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl since their early days, this is one of my favourite songs ever, never mind just my favourite Christmas song. Shane MacGowan was a genius lyricist in his prime in my opinion, and this is one of his finest moments.
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the sheer passion and rawness of Shane MacGowan's voice contrasting beautifully with the pure, dulcet tones of Kirsty's which help to make this a very special recording IMO.
    It is indeed a great song as well of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't give a rats behind what Radio 1 think about anything.

For me, though, I do think it is the best Christmas song. Always puts a smile on my face when I hear it. :)
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not really a christmas song, more like a song set in christmas...

tbh im sick of it..... i used to love it, but theres only so many times i can listen to any track before it loses its appeal.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I've heard it so many times and yet I'm still not fed up with it. It's not really Christmas until I've heard it at least once per day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best xmas song ever...FACT
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really a Xmas song as mentioned before.

It's just a fabulous song, with sentiments very different from the usual 3 minute boy meets girl nonsense.

A beautiful song that can't be tainted by awful covers
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worse Christmas song ever :( Every time I hear it I want to scream!!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's not a bad song, it does get repetitive after a while though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a work of genius.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not really a christmas song, more like a song set in christmas...

tbh im sick of it..... i used to love it, but theres only so many times i can listen to any track before it loses its appeal.

Same! Loved it and bought it when it came out and loved it for years when it wasnt played much. And then it became flavour of the month and I went off it. I have the live version from a best of Pogues cd but that is the only version I play now.
    For me it is Greg Lake and I believe in Father Christmas. It has a real Christmassy feel to it.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    It is the best Christmas song ever.:)
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spendleb wrote: »
    Best xmas song ever...FACT

No it isnt FACT. It is YOUR opinion ( and maybe quite a few others at the moment.) It is all subjective and cant be measured.
    In 10 years time something else will have taken over as the flavour of the month.
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

No it isnt FACT. It is YOUR opinion ( and maybe quite a few others at the moment.) It is all subjective and cant be measured.
    In 10 years time something else will have taken over as the flavour of the month.

Considering it's well over 10 years old already, I imagine it's not going to change much.:p

And opinion can be measured.
    It's called a poll, or survey.:p
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I can't stand it. It's so dreary :( Not helped by the fact it's excessively overplayed in the run up to Christmas for some strange reason :confused:.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is hugely overrated
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    It's incredible to say the least.
    Though, Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses gets me in the Christmassy mood more
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    It's terrible in my opinion, his voice is horrific.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Considering it's well over 10 years old already, I imagine it's not going to change much.:p

Released in 1987 according to Wikipedia :eek:. While I remember Christmases without it, I'm not old enough to remember Christmases without Slade. I was 4 when that was released in 1973.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Released in 1987 according to Wikipedia :eek:. While I remember Christmases without it, I'm not old enough to remember Christmases without Slade. I was 4 when that was released in 1973.

I'm a couple of years older than you.I was a little bit of a Slade fan at the time - I can remember a little bit of a back lash when they released that single.It was seen as a little bit of a sell out by most fans.Christmas songs were seen as something that rock bands didn't do in the main.Slade were pretty much on the more poppy end of rock from the beginning though.There was definately a bigger barrier between rock & pop in those days though - this sentiment was even followed by the younger end of (male) rock fans even who were mainly the ones who followed Slade at the time.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    For me it is Greg Lake and I believe in Father Christmas. It has a real Christmassy feel to it.

i always took that to be an anti-crimbo track "the christmas you get, you deserve"

its 23 years old....
    danielleh wrote: »
    Though, Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses gets me in the Christmassy mood more

thats a fantastic crimbo track... :)
    Lyricalis wrote: »

lord...im sick to death of slade and wizzard. i was 16 in crimbo 73 so i was the target market. they were great then...but year after year after year... zzzzz
    I'm a couple of years older than you.I was a little bit of a Slade fan at the time - I can remember a little bit of a back lash when they released that single.It was seen as a little bit of a sell out by most fans.Christmas songs were seen as something that rock bands didn't do in the main.Slade were pretty much on the more poppy end of rock from the beginning though.There was definately a bigger barrier between rock & pop in those days though - this sentiment was even followed by the younger end of (male) rock fans even who were mainly the ones who followed Slade at the time.

slade were seen as a pop group, like sweet and t rex, real rock fans (as you say) were into real rock, like led zeppelin. there was a huge divide, polarisation, between music fans and musical styles. slade and sweet were 'rock for kids', similarly mcfly now. slade went on though to court the real rock crowd after their 'purple patch' of chart hits dried up. so retrospectively they are seen as rock, albeit at the pop end of the market... back then they were chart fodder, their fanbase being 'suedeheads', not bikers/ older hippies who were into 'real' rock.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great Christmas Song, only seconded by the genius that is Slades "Merry Christmas Everybody"!

;) Mark
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

Yes, Christmas Wrapping is def the Best !