How much can you sell on ebay without getting done for tax?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure on the rules of this, but how much is allowed to be sold before paypal report you?

Im taking about 2k worth of stuff over 3 months? Its not my own stuff, im making it and selling it, so mine in theory, but when does the tax man come knocking on my door?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you declare it to them as income on a income tax return form.

If you say nothing they are unlikely to find out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea but we got a nice suprise off ebay when they charged us £45 for selling something for £500. Our own fault but still, robbing sods.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what about paypal, dont they send information to the inland revenue? And what about when i transfer 4 x £500 into my bank account.
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some thoughts
    1. You are taxed on profit not sales
    what is your profit on raw materials and overheads.

2 Dont forget Value Added Tax

3 This is clearly not your own stuff you are selling.
    Ie: you are not selling things you own that you no longer need.
    You are clearly opperating a small bussiness

4.An accountant would advise you what you could claim against tax. Such as part of your transport costs, heating, rates,
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    No idea but we got a nice suprise off ebay when they charged us £45 for selling something for £500. Our own fault but still, robbing sods.
    Why? Ebay's price scale is there on the site for anyone to see-you should have known how much it would be. Effectively, just under ten per cent, a standard auction house commission.
    marc822 wrote: »
    But what about paypal, dont they send information to the inland revenue? And what about when i transfer 4 x £500 into my bank account.
    Unless you are being investigated by the Inland Revenue or the Benefits Agency, nobody
    is monitoring your bank account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Ebay's price scale is there on the site for anyone to see-you should have known how much it would be. Effectively, just under ten per cent, a standard auction house commission.

Never occured to us and we were selling for the OH's Grandparents. If we'd have known it was going to be that high we wouldn't have bothered since we didn't technically make any money from the sale. We buy off it more than sell and it wasn't made very clear to us at any point.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, as its just for the winter, i will proceed as normal. If they come after me then i will pay.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure on the rules of this, but how much is allowed to be sold before paypal report you?

Im taking about 2k worth of stuff over 3 months? Its not my own stuff, im making it and selling it, so mine in theory, but when does the tax man come knocking on my door?

You are operating a business so you are liable to tax on any profits. You have to declare it as a business to HMRC whether you make money or not. If you do not and they find out you are liable to the tax plus penalties and interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How much would you have been charged if you'd used other means to sell such as an advert in the paper? How much did you expect to be charged?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much would you have been charged if you'd used other means to sell such as an advert in the paper? How much did you expect to be charged?

Not £45
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was registered as a Trader Assistant (helping people to list their own stuff on ebay) but never actually got any work doing this, however HMRC saw I was registered and consequently wrote to me threatening me with £100 fine and told me I had to register as self-employed. So HMRC can and DO check things like this. It is best to register off your own back and make sure you get what you are entitled to re. allowances rather than worry yourself about them finding out and being lumbered with a massive tax bill - trust me! Remember you only pay tax on your profits, not your turnover - you can claim for cost of things like your broadband, things you use partly or solely for your business, etc. so it's not as bad as it seems!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never occured to us and we were selling for the OH's Grandparents. If we'd have known it was going to be that high we wouldn't have bothered since we didn't technically make any money from the sale. We buy off it more than sell and it wasn't made very clear to us at any point.
    It's the seller's responsibility to check. That's hardly ebay's fault.
    Not £45

A|s I said, just under ten per cent of the sale price. It's a standard fee: if you'd sold at a physical auction you'd hav e been charged the same, or more. It's simple maths. Even simpler now that they have actually raised the fee to a straight ten per cent: if you earn £1.00, they take 10p, if it's £100 they take ten pounds. They're in it to make money, like any auction house.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, as its just for the winter, i will proceed as normal. If they come after me then i will pay.

If you are making just 4 items and selling them at £500 each over 3 months, it is unlikely that ebay will spot or insist that you are a business. If they do, they will insist on you changing your ebay seller account to a business account, and be subject to all the same legislation as any other retailer. Paypal do not pass your details to HMRC, you don't need to charge VAT. If this becomes a regular business, then you will need to review how you operate.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not £45
    And to make the comparison a bit more realistic, if you were to advertise in a local paper and take out (let's say) a quarter page advert with photographs of what you had to sell, what would you expect to pay? Certainly not £45 but a great deal more, and even for that you'd be getting coverage only within your local area.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a lady who makes her living by selling on eBay, and I asked her what she thought of people who complain about eBay fees. Her reply was, "They should try selling in an ordinary auction." Your mistake was to sell on eBay without checking the fees, and that was your fault and not eBay's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I thought there was an annual receiving limit of £1,700 on paypal, then you will no longer be able to withdraw or send money...it may of changed ? They warn you to register as a business seller as you get close to their limit or just stop using it for a while. I sold loads of stuff one year but only about 3 things this year..no junk left now!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    And to make the comparison a bit more realistic, if you were to advertise in a local paper and take out (let's say) a quarter page advert with photographs of what you had to sell, what would you expect to pay? Certainly not £45 but a great deal more, and even for that you'd be getting coverage only within your local area.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a lady who makes her living by selling on eBay, and I asked her what she thought of people who complain about eBay fees. Her reply was, "They should try selling in an ordinary auction." Your mistake was to sell on eBay without checking the fees, and that was your fault and not eBay's.

I agree. I think the problem a lot of the time is that because it's online, people sometimes don't regard ebay as a 'proper' auction: it's seen as somewhere you should be able to sell for nothing, buy for next-to-nothing, and if you donb't feel like paying for a purchase for a week and a half, well, that's fine, too. Unfortunately, that isn't actually the case. It's a business, used by traders who are trying to earn a living from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeMeowWoof wrote: »
    I thought there was an annual receiving limit of £1,700 on paypal, then you will no longer be able to withdraw or send money...it may of changed ? They warn you to register as a business seller as you get close to their limit or just stop using it for a while. I sold loads of stuff one year but only about 3 things this year..no junk left now!!

You can get that limit removed with one phone call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not £45

Intelligent answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    If you are making just 4 items and selling them at £500 each over 3 months, it is unlikely that ebay will spot or insist that you are a business. If they do, they will insist on you changing your ebay seller account to a business account, and be subject to all the same legislation as any other retailer. Paypal do not pass your details to HMRC, you don't need to charge VAT. If this becomes a regular business, then you will need to review how you operate.

As long as the OP realises they are breaking the law by not informing HMRC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the OP realises they are breaking the law by not informing HMRC.

Not necessarily. It depends if you want to sell 4 items made as a hobby and argue that it isn't a business. It's not quite so black and white. I'd say nothing, unless it was intended that the sale of these items would be an ongoing venture. If I made four bird tables out of scrap wood and decided to flog them on ebay, that isn't a business is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my relatives, who's not a dealer, dabbles in buying and selling silver jewellery. She doesn't make a lot and dosen't declare anything but keeps detailed records just in case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily. It depends if you want to sell 4 items made as a hobby and argue that it isn't a business. It's not quite so black and white. I'd say nothing, unless it was intended that the sale of these items would be an ongoing venture. If I made four bird tables out of scrap wood and decided to flog them on ebay, that isn't a business is it?

I'm afraid it is a business. ANYTHING you make with the purpose of selling, is technically a business venture. If, on the other hand, you make for yourself, then after using it for a while, decide to sell it as 'used', it isn't a business venture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flooz wrote: »
    I'm afraid it is a business. ANYTHING you make with the purpose of selling, is technically a business venture. If, on the other hand, you make for yourself, then after using it for a while, decide to sell it as 'used', it isn't a business venture.

Not necessarily as I said, whether it is classed as a business would depend on the frequency and quantity of goods sold. The OP may well be liable for capital gains taxes, but the allowances means probably not. He just said he would be selling £2,000 worth of goods, over a 3 month period, at 4 x £500 payments. It is very unlikely that either ebay or HMRC would declare this as a business with an ongoing liability.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily as I said, whether it is classed as a business would depend on the frequency and quantity of goods sold. The OP may well be liable for capital gains taxes, but the allowances means probably not. He just said he would be selling £2,000 worth of goods, over a 3 month period, at 4 x £500 payments. It is very unlikely that either ebay or HMRC would declare this as a business with an ongoing liability.

You are incorrect. HMRC's definition is if you are making things with the intention of selling them or buying things with the intention of selling them. It doesn't matter what scale it is on.