thoughts on google nexus 7?

Comments

• scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Just a quick question about tethering. My HTC desire supports this feature so if I turn it on can I use it tether my nexus 7? Am I right that it will come off my data allowance of my mobile contract?
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick question about tethering. My HTC desire supports this feature so if I turn it on can I use it tether my nexus 7? Am I right that it will come off my data allowance of my mobile contract?

Yes you can tether. It should just use your data allowance.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At home, it's far better to use a wi-fi connection via your house's router as that will be faster, more reliable and free of any additional charge (unless you exceed your ISP's monthly download allowance). Apologies if that's obvious.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you get your £15 free credit?
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    How do you get your £15 free credit?

You just need to sign in on your google mail account when you sign up and it happens automatically. I think that promotion ended on the 30th
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how you can see your account balance on the nexus - I know this is a bit numpty but I just can't see anywhere in google play where it shows you how much you have in your account!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you can see your account balance on the nexus - I know this is a bit numpty but I just can't see anywhere in google play where it shows you how much you have in your account!

there may be another way. but the way i do it is to go to google wallet, as in wallet.google.com :
    https://wallet.google.com/manage/#paymentMethods:
    the above link should take you to payment methods. and in there i have my debit card and my balance.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there may be another way. but the way i do it is to go to google wallet, as in wallet.google.com :
    https://wallet.google.com/manage/#paymentMethods:
    the above link should take you to payment methods. and in there i have my debit card and my balance.

great - thank you
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine arrived yesterday (16GB) and I'm very pleased with it. It's lightning fast - much faster than my PC!
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    much faster than my PC!
    That's a very interesting comment to me as I haven't got a tablet and always thought they were seriously underpowered and therefore slow devices.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's lightning fast - much faster than my PC!
    John259 wrote: »
    That's a very interesting comment to me as I haven't got a tablet and always thought they were seriously underpowered and therefore slow devices.

I feel the same way as ffa1, for some things it does seem a lot zippier than my desktop. Perhaps that says more about my old desktop though! Certainly wouldn't describe the Nexus 7 as slow in any way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I feel the same way as ffa1, for some things it does seem a lot zippier than my desktop. Perhaps that says more about my old desktop though! Certainly wouldn't describe the Nexus 7 as slow in any way!

Yeah, my desktop is pretty old too to be fair! I think the graphics chip in the Nexus is much better than the dedicated graphics on my PC's cpu.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Yeah, my desktop is pretty old too to be fair! I think the graphics chip in the Nexus is much better than the dedicated graphics on my PC's cpu.

a quad core 1.3GHz is no slouch
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »

In defence of the PC, if you were trying to kill a spriggan by balancing something on top of your door such that it would drop on them when they tried to creep in, then the PC would finish it off, whereas the Nexus 7 would only make it angry. Swings and roundabouts.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member

Thank Christ I waited. May go for that if the price is right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like a percentage for the battery, I have tried a few apps but they are inaccurate and drain the battery so looks like I am left without it.
    Forum Member
    I would like a percentage for the battery, I have tried a few apps but they are inaccurate and drain the battery so looks like I am left without it.

You are saying you'd like to know the battery charge level? It's in the settings. Graphs and a break down and stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are saying you'd like to know the battery charge level? It's in the settings. Graphs and a break down and stuff.

Yeah I know, I was talking about a percentage on the top bar that you can see quickly at a glance.

I hear you can get it on custom ROMs but don't really wanna go that far lol
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know, I was talking about a percentage on the top bar that you can see quickly at a glance.

I hear you can get it on custom ROMs but don't really wanna go that far lol
    There are loads of widgets that can show the battery level as a percentage on the screen and do not seem to adversely affect battery life. I use HD Widgets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to see remaining battery life in hours (days if I'm lucky). It's a bit of a dark art, as it all depends on usage patterns, but it gets better over time.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw

and this one, apparently, will do what you want Gormond.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.preinvent.batteryleft&feature=search_result
    - Top status bar icon to show % battery left (off by default, turn on in settings)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I like to see remaining battery life in hours (days if I'm lucky). It's a bit of a dark art, as it all depends on usage patterns, but it gets better over time.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw

and this one, apparently, will do what you want Gormond.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.preinvent.batteryleft&feature=search_result

Thanks, I will give it a go.

Has anyone came across a sleeve that actually fits the Nexus 7? After looking all I can find are ones that are too big or too small.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eagerly awaiting my delivery :(
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I will give it a go.

Has anyone came across a sleeve that actually fits the Nexus 7? After looking all I can find are ones that are too big or too small.

I don't see how such a thing could work. It lasts two weeks when not in use and 10 hours when the screen is on.

As for cases I don't really use them. But I have one for a 7" kindle that cost me a quid on eBay. It's neoprene.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how such a thing could work. It lasts two weeks when not in use and 10 hours when the screen is on.

But if you have the screen on for x hours a day on average, and use draining games for y hours a day on average it can make a pretty good guess. in reality, it spits out various different estimates, including
    - "if you keep using it as you are right now it will last this many hours"
    - "if you keep using it as you have been since unplugged it will last that many hours" and
    - "if you use it like you have been doing most days it will last this many hours".

All displayed on one little widget.