Have you checked your driving license?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
Forum Member
Just in case anyone hasn't realised, the "new" photo ID card part of the license has an expiry date, they are normally issued for around ten years.
Driving licence fines threaten two million drivers.
Many drivers face a fine of £1,000 if they fail to update their photo-card driving licences, according to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886#FBM178700

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed this and let it get 2 years out!! luckily I did not get fined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    I missed this and let it get 2 years out!! luckily I did not get fined.

lol! Lucky! but then it demonstrates that you are clearly very well behaved!

I moved in Feb 2003, I know that was when I changed mine, i I'm thinking it will be due now, I'll check when i can be bothered!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed mine just before it expired. Had to change address anyway.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Bah, they are phasing out paper licences in 2015. I'll have to get a photo one then.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol! Lucky! but then it demonstrates that you are clearly very well behaved!

I moved in Feb 2003, I know that was when I changed mine, i I'm thinking it will be due now, I'll check when i can be bothered!

Despite what some of the commenters to that article are suggesting, you do get a reminder before the expiry date - but obviously only if the DVLA have your current address!
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got a paper one as I have lived at the same address for 22 years.
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »

I think if i still had mine it would be well tatty by now! I moved house ten years ago and had to get the new one, it is a basically a photo id card, quite handy to have actually, and you also get a paper "counterpart" - for those of us who find it hard to let go!
    :)
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I received a letter before mine expired a few years ago, at least a month before, and got it sorted quickly. I was more annoyed about having to pay for it. :mad:
    Forum Member
    I received a letter before mine expired a few years ago, at least a month before, and got it sorted quickly. I was more annoyed about having to pay for it. :mad:

I think it's quite a lot too. I recall paying around £30 for the replacement when I moved. I'll go check out the rates. Of course the reason for the ten year renewal is to keep the photo current - so they say. nothing to do with the charging.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Despite what some of the commenters to that article are suggesting, you do get a reminder before the expiry date - but obviously only if the DVLA have your current address!

Absolutely right. If you have moved you may not be aware....
    The counter assistant at my bank noticed that my license had expired. I am very grateful to her.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite a lot too. I recall paying around £30 for the replacement when I moved. I'll go check out the rates. Of course the reason for the ten year renewal is to keep the photo current - so they say. nothing to do with the charging.

There is no charge to update your driving licence when you move unless you want to change the photo.
    Forum Member
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    There is no charge to update your driving licence when you move unless you want to change the photo.

You have to change the photo though that's the point!

Although i look exactly the same! (Really)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if i still had mine it would be well tatty by now! I moved house ten years ago and had to get the new one, it is a basically a photo id card, quite handy to have actually, and you also get a paper "counterpart" - for those of us who find it hard to let go!
    :)

You still need a paper counterpart to hire vehicles
    Forum Member
    FRAKKIN HECK calls to their number cost "£1.53 per min plus network extras"!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    Your Chosen Application: RENEW EXPIRED PHOTOCARD

Application Fee Paid Online: £29
    Fee Paid to DVLA on return of your completed application: £20

Total £49

https://www.drivinglicence.uk.com/fee.php?id=89958&auth=iHCyRdms0K5xtakZ6nL1YuBIcTAVJqeE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    All that just to update a photo. But it's not about making money...
  • PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoops - July 2009
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Total £49

https://www.drivinglicence.uk.com/fee.php?id=89958&auth=iHCyRdms0K5xtakZ6nL1YuBIcTAVJqeE
    That's some crooked profiteering commercial organisation. In the small print at the bottom of the page there's this:
    Neither CVL nor www.drivinglicence.uk.com are affiliated or associated with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), any official government entities or any official body, trade or organisation. Applications for the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) services may be submitted directly through the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) website http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla where there may or may not be a charge.

The charge for updating a photo appears to be £20, while changing the address is (as I understand it) free.

This is the proper website to use:

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/driving-licences
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Total £49

That site is not the DVLA. It is an outside agency that is charging £29 just to check your form. If you apply through the DVLA, it is only £20, not £49.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mines paper so i'm alright till 2035
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoopyDog wrote: »
    That site is not the DVLA. It is an outside agency that is charging £29 just to check your form.
    Sounds like the people that do a similar thing with passports - a high-up advertisement spot in search results and hoping that people don't read the small print.

Somewhat amused that 'CVL' stands for 'Caveat Viator Limited'...
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

I've still got a paper one (with the correct address) and I moved about 15 years ago. I only ever take it out of the filing cabinet if I go on holiday by car, which is once a year at most.
  • karma mechanickarma mechanic Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Bah, they are phasing out paper licences in 2015. I'll have to get a photo one then.

No, the DVLA website says paper ones will be phased out in 2033.

The BBC article is simply wrong, it is probably referring to the paper counterpart of the photo licence being dropped.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I renewed mine online last week. The replacement came in 3 days. I was very impressed with the speed.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quote from the article:-

"This helps prevent driving licence impersonation - stopping disqualified and perhaps dangerous drivers taking to our roads."

What utter Bollocks the statement above is:rolleyes:

I'm in two minds about why they should be renewed, Yes, Because our appearance does change over the years and No because it's just another money making scam.