Jodie Harsh x Melanie C - The Night EP

LostIslands_LostIslands_ Posts: 630
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.melaniec.net/news/archive/747-the-night-track-listing

Sounds interesting! I did wonder how long it would take Mel to go back to dance music. The songs were apparently recorded for her last album The Sea but didn't make the cut as they didn't fit in with the style of the album, which is more mid-tempo pop.
We can now confirm the three tracks on the 'The Night' EP are called 'Set You Free', 'Sunrise' and 'Walkaway'.

Set You Free
The lead track introduces the EP with light dub-step moments and thrusts into full-on hands in the air synths and a tight kick drum. Through big anthemic vocals Melanie sings about the freedom you feel in that perfect dance floor moment – blinded by lights, drowning in the music, feeling the love from your friends.

Sunrise
It's immediately apparent this song is inspired by nights out in Ibiza. The track boasts a big-room sound with a killer beat and chopped up vocals. Girl meets boy, dances the night away, boy looks just as great in the sunlight the following day. A holiday romance and a real peak-time dance floor moment.

Walk Away
Taking things a little slower, the final song narrates the organic end to a relationship and the weight it brings off your shoulders...a sigh of relief and a 'change of atmosphere'. Mid-tempo and orchestral, it's a dramatic ending to the EP with it's big hip hop drum and a epic build.

'The Night' is released on iTunes Sunday 13th of May as a 3-track download plus digital booklet featuring song lyrics and exclusive images of Melanie shot by world renowned fashion photographer Tim Bret-Day.

I can't wait :D

[news]Mel C previews new song 'Sunrise' from 'The Night' EP - listen[/news]

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this

Not expecting a big hit with it as no mention of music video, promo, physical release etc. and it's out in 2 weeks time

but I don't care. I'm past caring about charts for any artists. I'm looking forward to hearing this
  • Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So am i hope it does well for melanie c.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really liked `the sea`, definitely one of her best albums. looking forward to this ep.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie C was the Spice Girl with talent.
  • LostIslands_LostIslands_ Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but I don't care. I'm past caring about charts for any artists. I'm looking forward to hearing this

I think that's exactly how Mel feels tbh, she has a small yet loyal fan-base and is an a position to carry on making music as long as she wants. If I was in her position i'd be as happy as a pig in s*** :D

I suppose the only downside of her lack of commercial success is that she isn't recognised as a great role-model, which I think she is. I love how she's doing stuff on her own terms, without a major record label behind her, just being about the music.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the details. I will get this as I buy everything she releases. I have to be honest though, I'm not sure about her as a dance artist. I feel her voice suits pop/rock music better. For me, Beautiful Intentions, her rock influenced album is her masterpiece even though it didn't do so great on the charts.
    I hope that she and Jodie find a way to put their stamp on the dance stuff and it won't sound like every other dance track out there.
  • simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to it. I hope it does well for her.
  • pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel deserves to do far better with her solo material than she does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the details. I will get this as I buy everything she releases. I have to be honest though, I'm not sure about her as a dance artist. I feel her voice suits pop/rock music better. For me, Beautiful Intentions, her rock influenced album is her masterpiece even though it didn't do so great on the charts.
    I hope that she and Jodie find a way to put their stamp on the dance stuff and it won't sound like every other dance track out there.

I agree about Mel doing rock music best, when I saw her live in Brighton Beautiful Intentions was the clear stand-out. It was amazing. But I also think she does dance very well, I Turn To You still is still a very good dance track. I think if you can pull off different styles, why not go for it...

I would love another Beautiful Intentions but, I don't think Mel has anything to be angry about at the moment :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I agree about Mel doing rock music best, when I saw her live in Brighton Beautiful Intentions was the clear stand-out. It was amazing. But I also think she does dance very well, I Turn To You still is still a very good dance track. I think if you can pull off different styles, why not go for it...

I would love another Beautiful Intentions but, I don't think Mel has anything to be angry about at the moment :p

BIB A great track, not quite so sure about the video !! I'm all for artists working in different styles, I've never understood bands/soloists who only seem to perform in such a narrow area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agreed rock music suits her best
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluemotel wrote: »
    BIB A great track, not quite so sure about the video !! I'm all for artists working in different styles, I've never understood bands/soloists who only seem to perform in such a narrow area.

I enjoy all genres of music but not necessarily from the same artist. I think most artists do have one genre that suits their voice, personality and general sensibility the best. I think it's good to know your strengths and what you do best. There are a few artists who are equally good at all genres but that's pretty rare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I enjoy all genres of music but not necessarily from the same artist. I think most artists do have one genre that suits their voice, personality and general sensibility the best. I think it's good to know your strengths and what you do best. There are a few artists who are equally good at all genres but that's pretty rare.

I agree with the "all genres" part of BIB. Some genres are a bit closer than others though and a little crossover can be cool :)
  • choonchoon Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to this ep, can't wait!
  • simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will they be playing these tracks in the clubs? How will the EP be promoted?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they're aiming to smash the charts open so, probably not.

It'll be a nice little treat for the fans though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they're aiming to smash the charts open so, probably not.

It'll be a nice little treat for the fans though.

Yes, it's great she keep releasing stuff for her fans. Some artists when they don't have the commercial success they want will quit releasing new music. Melanie keeps on because I think she really has a passion for music. I really don't care about chart positions that much as long as the artists keeps releasing stuff. The only reason I care about commercial success to a certain extent is that certain artists will stop releasing stuff if they don't achieve to a certain level and I want to keep hearing new stuff from my favourites.
  • choonchoon Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Preview of Sunrise here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3y0u0HJna0&feature=youtu.be can't wait to hear the whole song!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie can do no wrong by me. Adore her, 'the sea' is amaaazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    choon wrote: »
    Preview of Sunrise here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3y0u0HJna0&feature=youtu.be can't wait to hear the whole song!

sounds very promising
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. I adore Melanie but I don't care for this too much. Kind of standard 90's house remix music. And the vocal melody doesn't quite fit in with the music for some reason. But maybe it will sound better in full.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, i'm not feeling it either.

It sounds like a bad mash-up/remix. I can see why it didn't make her last album...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

It's sounding good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still dont own The Sea album...was gonna buy it last Sept when it was out but completely was blindsided :O

But will eventually get it...The Night EP sounds interesting....she properly knows how to mix it up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one thing I notice about Melanie C, is that she picks really bad singles from albums.

Reason - worst song on it was On The Horizon and it was released as a single. and I would never have used Here It Comes Again as the lead single.

Beautiful Intentions - probably her worst single ever Better Alone. even her b-sides are better. so many great songs on that album such as Little Piece Of Me, Last Night On Earth, Beautiful Intentions

This Time - well Carolyna was a great single choice, but This Time the single was a poor choice

The Sea - I think that Drown is one of the best songs she's ever done. much much better than Think About It and Weak